The Property Photography thread

Name
Matt
Edit My Images
Yes
I do a fair bit of property photography for a local estate agent and thought it would be a good idea to have a dedicated Property Photography thread seeing as there is no dedicated forum.

So calling all property toggers, post your latest images up here and lets share ideas and techniques. Ill start the ball rolling, these are a few shots I took yesterday while shooting 3 properties.

Bedroom by Matt_Giles, on Flickr

Purple by Matt_Giles, on Flickr

Family kitchen by Matt_Giles, on Flickr

Red by Matt_Giles, on Flickr

New house by Matt_Giles, on Flickr

Kitchen by Matt_Giles, on Flickr

All the above were shot with a Nikon D90 and a Tokina 11-16mm lens. I also used a camera mounted SB600. Varying apertures from f5.6 tof7.1, Exif details are intact.

Look good wish my house looked as tidy.

May be me but I cannot see the exif details on right click.

hi Matt, I'd like to know how you lit the shots or whether you use pp to enhance afterwards :)

and interesting idea for a thread btw (y)

Maria, all shots were lit using a single SB600 mounted on camera and bouncing off the ceiling. I usually turn all the lights on in the room too. If I have an exceptionally large room I have another flash that I mount on a light stand and used as a secondary light source.

I also shoot some images using ambient light only and mount the camera on a tripod to cope with longer shutter speeds. Or I'll bracket a few exposures and create HDR images depending on the requirements. But 9 times out of 10 its the flash set up that works.

Maria, all shots were lit using a single SB600 mounted on camera and bouncing off the ceiling. I usually turn all the lights on in the room too. If I have an exceptionally large room I have another flash that I mount on a light stand and used as a secondary light source.

I also shoot some images using ambient light only and mount the camera on a tripod to cope with longer shutter speeds. Or I'll bracket a few exposures and create HDR images depending on the requirements. But 9 times out of 10 its the flash set up that works.

Your set-up seems to be working great for you, are you having to straighten any of the walls/ceilings as they look nice and straight?

back to your original suggestion....I agree it would be a good idea as I also do a little bit of industrial building photography.

Lovely shots and as it has been commented tidy rooms ;-)

Do you use a t&s lens?

Your set-up seems to be working great for you, are you having to straighten any of the walls/ceilings as they look nice and straight?

Yes I definitely have to d a fair bit of straightening on the verticals in PP, I hate seeing walls leaning out lol!! With big enough rooms Im able to get them pretty spot on but tighter rooms are when I have to tilt the camera a bit which then requires some CS5 work.

@Trappe, no i don't use a T&S lens, I use an UWA and currently have a Tokina 11-16mm which is superb (y)

For me they all could do with a boost in exposure, forget about blowing the highlights from the outside windows, it is the inside that is important.

what a nice idea for a thread! I go out to quite a few properties to take shots of the tiles i supply... but i feel like i'm invading their space if i take loads of kit so i generally try to lighten them up afterwards. I'm going to have to start asking if i can stay for a couple of hours or so and get some proper lighting in the rooms :bonk:

here's 1 job i supplied last year....

BM 041 by leftcurl, on Flickr

BM 038 by leftcurl, on Flickr

BM 031 by leftcurl, on Flickr

BM 026 by leftcurl, on Flickr

bump...

seemed like a nice idea for a thread but never took off... any more interest?

Great thread. I have recently done some for clients who were not happy with the estate agents photographer. I'm doing several holiday lets over the next few days. I'll post some up soon.

These are great.
I am a plasterer so can't give techie advice but from a viewers stand point these look amazing.
When you say hdr are we talking about the Photomatix software or taking multiple exposures and masking in photoshop and revealing the windows.

Gaz

Tanks Gary, appreciate your feedback. Basically I take multiple exposures and merge in post using Photomatix but try to process so they dont have that obvious falseness about them like so many HDR images have.

Hi all,

This is a great idea for a thread! Here's my latest. It was very challenging because the main rooms were long and thin and very cluttered...

Matt - I often use HDR (the images below are) as well although I'll try to get the inside and outside balanced with flash if I can.

c&c more than welcome!

Lucknow-Ave-10.jpg

Lucknow-Ave-9.jpg

Lucknow-Ave-5.jpg

Lucknow-Ave-6.jpg

Last edited:
Some nice shots there GT. Would be great to share some technique tips between us in this thread too.

I usually use multiple flash guns for interiors but have made the move over to HDR over the last few months and I do like the results im getting. I still struggle at times with strong light coming through windows though.

Here's one i shot this morning. Lots of light coming through the french doors due to the snow.

Living room 1 by Matt_Giles, on Flickr

Hi Jenijeev,

There are three main tools that I use for straightening - Lens correction filter to correct any wide angle lens distortion, and skew and perspective to correct any walls leaning in and leaning out... it's best to allow for using these tool when you shoot by making sure you have a bit to crop off...

Hi hewhoknows,

Strong light coming through windows is a real problem... simplest solution I know is to shoot at dawn or dusk if you can... Sometimes I'll merge my HDR with one of the dark exposures and use the window or door from that....

Great thread!

Out of curiosity, those of you that work with estate agents, did you approach them or did they approach you?

Thanks

J

@GTI, were those pics taken for an estate agent or with a view to try and sell the property? If so, do you feel inclined to make a suggestion to the owners about prepping the room? Just looking at them, they do (as you pointed out) looked very cluttered and could have been dressed/prepped to give the impression of having more space in the rooms.

Do you feel it's not your place to make that suggestion and just get on with what you've been given kind of thing?

i think i'm going to have a look at the HDR route... as i never take any lighting with me, it's all natural - but sometimes that's not enough. I don't make any adjustments for straightening verticals etc, i just concentrate on the tiled areas (that's my product) and cloning any marks / bad grouting out, but i think i should maybe look at doing that as well in PP.

Moleanos_Beige_Polished_1 by leftcurl, on Flickr

Azul_Honed_1 by leftcurl, on Flickr

looking at this again... it just looks so dull and lifeless.. really could do with a boost and i think the HDR route would have helped a lot

Moleanos_Beige_Honed1 by leftcurl, on Flickr

OK so here's a question for all you HDR property photographers, do you switch the lights on or keep them off when shooting interiors?

i just typed 'always on'.. then realised you said HDR, which i've never tried on interiors... so therefore.. i'm out :puke:

Hi, Been looking for tips around the net for interior photography so glad you started this thread.
My question is " How do you meter for your interior shots"? "Do you trust the in camera meter and if so what mode"? "Do you use a hand held meter"? Or do you just put it in plonker mode and hope for the best"?
Can anyone direct me to a on-line video tutorial that lasts a little longer than 5 minutes on you tube and made in the UK
Thanks
Russ

Hi I agree a property thread would be great I do some myself in Australia ... I was using photomatix but have found LR/Enfuse more to my liking its a free download to try and donate ware so for 10 quid you can get a great bit software well worth a look ..

Russ a good place to get some more info is at http://photographyforrealestate.net/

Ben

Hi I agree a property thread would be great I do some myself in Australia ... I was using photomatix but have found LR/Enfuse more to my liking its a free download to try and donate ware so for 10 quid you can get a great bit software well worth a look ..

Russ a good place to get some more info is at http://photographyforrealestate.net/

Ben

Thanks Ben for the link
Russ

At least your photos have furniture in, the ones I take at work are empty rooms with very little interesting items in them, can be he'll on earth trying to capture it in a way to make look appealing in the rental market

Do you shoot freehand or tripod?

HDR might work though, to even out the light

Hi, Another question.
Does anyone use or used the Sigma 12-24mm F/4.5-5.6 DG HSM II as I am in the market for a new lens for both internal and also landscapes. I note that although it only has F4.5 it will fit both FF and crop bodies.
Thanks in advance
Russ

Here's one from todays shoot. This is a 9 shot HDR conversion, trying to keep it as natural as possible

Dining room by Matt_Giles, on Flickr

Loving your photos. I might try our little back room tomorrow.
Can,t see it coming in anything like these though.
9 exposures so i'm assuming thats 4 under and 4 over and 0ev., all blended in Photomatix.

Gaz

Well I had a go. Not in the same league as you guy's but it's a start and well, it is just for fun.
I am a Plasterer and off work with a broken elbow so it passes time.
Anyways I will explain what I have done and maybe someone could be so kind as to guide me as to what I should have done.
I think I am lacking in the post work for sure.

Camera Canon 450d/xsi
Sigma 10/20mm @ 15mm
F8 ISO 100
10 Exposures (couldnt stop myself)
Manual mode.

Corrected WB in Dpp.Then saved as tiffs.
Opened in Photomatix and used the fusion mode and left it at default settings. (Saw a youtube video)
Opened in cs6 and used the adaptive wide angle filter to try and correct the verticals.

So how can this be improved ? There is detail in the lamp shade and lights in the other files. Should I be tweaking in cs6 for vibrance / curves and sharpen ?
Also where should I focus in a scene like this I focused on the table so image seems to be sharp from the front of the frame to the centre chair.

Hope I havn't bored you all with that little read.

Gaz

Test_web_size.jpg

Did a few layers in photoshop not sure if it's better or worse.

Layers were.
1. Levels to bring the outside exposure down a touch and cloned reflection out of window. (masked)
2. hoto filter warmth
3. vibrance
4. Burned the lampshade a bit.
5. Sharpened a touck.

post_work_web_size.jpg

Last edited:
Hi Matt

Thanks for your kind words.After you inspired me to have a go I thought you were never going to log back in :)

Next time your on a pc and have some time could you have a better look and tell me where I could improve ?

Thats if you dont mind.
I'm not a photogragher it is only fun at my home.

Gaz

Ps:

Theres not much colour in my dining room but you seem to get real vibrant colours to your images yet they still remain very realistic.

Back