Thinking of moving from Oly EM5 to a an all in one?

Mr Bump

From under the bridge
Name
Paul
Edit My Images
Yes
Had my EM5 for a good few years and have a good range of decent lenses.
I have retired now and plan on doing quite a bit of travel with wife
and also have a holiday home in Greece and am also planning to buy one in Spain (will be resident there)
looking for the very best of all in one type cameras?
thoughts?

I had a Panasonic FZ2000 which I really liked (and an FZ1000 a long time ago, which is really good too, if you can do without the touchscreen). I’d happily recommend either of them to anyone.

The most popular camera on the bridge cameras thread on here is the Sony, can’t remember the model number now but there have been some fantastic shots posted on that thread.

EDIT: someone else has mentioned that thread, link is below. The Sony camera I was trying to think of was the RX10iv.

Last edited:
Budget is maybe £1000 Tops :)
no Leica

Had my EM5 for a good few years and have a good range of decent lenses.
I have retired now and plan on doing quite a bit of travel with wife
and also have a holiday home in Greece and am also planning to buy one in Spain (will be resident there)
looking for the very best of all in one type cameras?
thoughts?
I know little about these cameras, but there seems to be a lot of enthusiasm around for the Nikon P1000, There are also rumours of an update to this model being on the way.

The Nikon p1000 is a beast of a camera, absolutely massive and is has a tiny sensor, I enjoyed playing around with the one I had but if you can afford the Sony RX10 iv you will not find anything better. As Mike said, check out the High end bridge camera thread, lots of photos there showing its capabilities. I changed from the OM Systems OM-1 and don't regret it.

How about the Olympus 12-200 or 14-150 lens on the E-M5
That was my solution except it was an EM1.3 plus 12-200 (I started with the EM5II, but found it too small, and I had the 14-150 for a spell before switching to the 12-200.)

This was, however, a great combination that was good enough for everything I wanted from it.. Easy to carry, and long enough to grab wildlife shots - which for, me was mainly dragonfly pictures to help with Identification.

I no longer have my Olympus cameras, but I agree that they seem to offer a good alternative to the higher quality all in ones, except I think the long end of the all-in-ones are a lot longer.

I'd definitely keep the Oly kit but for holidays I'd restrict it to just the camera and a standard FoV fast prime for quality and low light use. I'd then compliment it with a compact with a 1" sensor with a decent zoom for flexibility.

That's just what I do when on holiday or even sometimes just when on a day out. I have my mirrorless camera (in my case an A7) with a fast prime and also a Panasonic TZ100 which is a 1" sensor compact with a 25-250mm zoom. Sony have their RX100 range but I went for the Panasonic.

Personally, I don't think I'd be happy with anything smaller than a 1" sensor as I know that dropping too much IQ would even if only just occasionally disappoint me. An Oly MFT + 17mm f1.8 for general and low light use and a 1" compact to give wide and longer FoV flexibility would be a very nice combination.

Good luck with the choice and your retirement! :D

Last edited:
I'd definitely keep the Oly kit but for holidays I'd restrict it to just the camera and a standard FoV fast prime for quality and low light use. I'd then compliment it with a compact with a 1" sensor with a decent zoom for flexibility.

That's just what I do when on holiday or even sometimes just when on a day out. I have my mirrorless camera (in my case an A7) with a fast prime and also a Panasonic TZ100 which is a 1" sensor compact with a 25-250mm zoom. Sony have their RX100 range but I went for the Panasonic.

Personally, I don't think I'd be happy with anything smaller than a 1" sensor as I know that dropping too much IQ would even if only just occasionally disappoint me. An Oly MFT + 17mm f1.8 for general and low light use and a 1" compact to give wide and longer FoV flexibility would be a very nice combination.

Good luck with the choice and your retirement! :D

I have the 17mm (35mm) F1.8 which I have had from new its great and a 12-40 F2.8
I do have a 300mm but i never use it

I have the 17mm (35mm) F1.8 which I have had from new its great and a 12-40 F2.8
I do have a 300mm but i never use it

Are you tempted to keep the Oly and at least one lens and just add a good quality compact? To me this seems the ideal way forward as you get to have the quality kit for when you want or need it and can have a flexible zoom available too in what is still a small and light combination of two cameras.

It's an easy combination for me to live with as I use primes most of the time and I'm happy to use one as a main / walkabout lens. I only use zooms for specific things but I do see how a zoom can give more flexibility on a day out or holiday.

Are you tempted to keep the Oly and at least one lens and just add a good quality compact? To me this seems the ideal way forward as you get to have the quality kit for when you want or need it and can have a flexible zoom available too in what is still a small and light combination of two cameras.

It's an easy combination for me to live with as I use primes most of the time and I'm happy to use one as a main / walkabout lens. I only use zooms for specific things but I do see how a zoom can give more flexibility on a day out or holiday.

i think that is where i am going to be fair , a pocket compact and keep the above

i think that is where i am going to be fair , a pocket compact and keep the above

There's the Panasonic TZ100/200 and the Sony RX100 range. I don't know if there are any other 1" compacts. Googling might get you answers.

I don't think the TZ100/200 is truly pocketable, mine goes in a bag, but we do have a member on this forum who can comfortably have his in his shirt pocket. I believe the RZX100 is smaller than the Panasonic but for me not decisively so and I wanted a fixed EVF rather than the Sony's pop up and down one.

Oh, and these cameras have all the usual modes, all the usual controls (if arguably smaller and more fiddly but I have no significant issues using mine) and can shoot raw.

Last edited:
The TZ-100 is about 5mm deeper and the same wider than the RX-100. Either slips into a shirt pocket. The Sony's files are (IMO) enough better than the Panny's to make it the compact of choice. I should get shot of the Panny, really!

The TZ-100 is about 5mm deeper and the same wider than the RX-100. Either slips into a shirt pocket. The Sony's files are (IMO) enough better than the Panny's to make it the compact of choice. I should get shot of the Panny, really!

The popping evf was the killer issue for me as it's something I use with only very occasional back screen use. For people who don't mind the popping evf the RX100 will make a lot more sense but I also wanted the zoom range of the Panasonic which of course the Sony can't match. IQ wise none of these cameras is going to match MFT if you go looking for the differences but they should be fine for a lot of uses and even if you're not too fussy high ISO use especially with todays noise reduction.

I have thought about selling my TZ100 as it doesn't get a lot of use but it is there if I want it :D

No flip out screen on the TZ is another (BIG) issue for me. The extra IQ the Sony gives allows at least as much cropping to get to the Panny's slightly longer zoom reach (the vi has a 200mm EFL at the long end compared to the TZ's 250).

My “main” camera is a Fuji X-S10, but for travel abroad or short breaks when I don’t want to lug the Fuji (not that it’s that big), I have a Sony RX100vi. Image quality is excellent, it’s tiny and it’s got a range up to 200mm equiv. it’s an ideal slip in your pocket camera. The vi would be well under your budget and even more so if bought used.

It’s a thought that with advancing age also crosses my mind ,if I did there’s only one option the Sony rx10iv as the results are really good , already had a Panasonic version and it falls short on reach in raw though it can give extra reach in jpg . But the Sony is better all round

Back