Time to upgrade my old 80D. R7?

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all,

Been a very long time since I've posted. Photography has taken a back seat over the last few years, but my recent trip to RIAT this weekend past has reignited my love for it.

I've had an 80D for about 6 years now. I have quite a few EF and EF-S lenses, the main ones being a 100-400 MkII, and the 70-200 f4 amongst others. Last year I wanted something I bit lighter to take on bike rides etc in attempt to keep the hobby going and purchased a used M6 MkII which I really like. I have an adapter for it so I can use my EF lenses, although I do have 2 EF-M lenses. I quite like it for when i want to travel light, and does perform better than the 80D is most ways.

However, I would like to change the 80D for a better mirrorless setup. I want something bigger than the M6 and with a permanent VF. Is the 2 year old R7 worth getting alongside the M6? I'm sure it is a massive upgrade on the 80D alone. I mostly shoot aviation and motorsports, so fast moving stuff. AF is really important. So, a few questions:

- Is the R7 still a current camera in the market even at 2 years old? I understand it is the 90D/M6 MkII sensor but with upgraded processor and AF?
- Is there an issue with shutter lag when shooting at 15fps, the limit of mechanical shutter?
- Are the new controls easy enough to get used for someone who has been using the old EOS controls for years?

Thanks,
Col

You will adapt to the R7 controls quite quickly as its not too dissimilar to the 80D really.
There will no doubt be an R7 Mk 2 at some point, but nothing announced yet, so probably about a year away.
The EF-RF lens adaptor will allow use of your EF/EF-S lenses.

Try the Canon Test-Drive service.

You will adapt to the R7 controls quite quickly as its not too dissimilar to the 80D really.
There will no doubt be an R7 Mk 2 at some point, but nothing announced yet, so probably about a year away.
The EF-RF lens adaptor will allow use of your EF/EF-S lenses.

Try the Canon Test-Drive service.
All of this; the R7 is still ‘new’ let alone ‘current’.

Thanks for the replies. I've booked a test with the R7 for next week. Will be interesting to see the results when paired with my EF 100-400 MkII, as I'm starting to find more info about AF issues with this combo.

I've been using an R7 with a 100-400 L Mk II for motorsport and not found any AF anomolies.

I still reach for the 1DX Mk II first but last time out I needed the benefit of the crop factor so that became the principal camera.

I had no issues with my EF 100-400 L mii on the R7, worked just like it did on the 7D mii and 1D X mii.

I own a 7Dii and upgraded to R7 which is light years ahead of my 7Dii ( even though I love my 7Dii to bits ) in almost all areas except built and size.
The button lay out is fine, menu is pretty good, the IQ is very good, keeper rate over 7Dii is much, much higher. I only have Canon EF lens to use on my R7 which are;

EF 100-400L F4-5.6 Mkii IS USM,
EF 70-300 F4-5.6 L IS USM,
EF macro 100L IS USM,
Sigma 150-600 Contemporary
Sigma 17-70 OS HSM APS-C lens

All lenses work very well except Sigma which hunt a bit and have some focusing issues.
My Canon Speedlites 580EX Mkii, 430EX Mkii also work pretty well.

Sigma have launched a 18-50 f2.8 APS-C lens for RF mount which I will buy for my R7, and this will be my walk around lens.
I own this lens for my Sony A6600 and it is a cracking little lens.

Recently I have been to an air show at Duxford for 80th D day anniversary and I still get lots of slightly blurred shots, as ones panning skills need to very good what ever camera you have in your hands.

Hope this helps

T

Own an R3 but also tempted to add an R7 now after seeing some excellent images from the Royal International Air Tattoo taken on the R7 with a 400mm F5.6 that i actually thought must of been taken with an RF600 or similar.

Thanks everyone for the replies. Let's see what a quick test brings next week.

@Gadget-Guy I was at RIAT for 3 days this year. I has mixed results, mainly down to hardly picking up the camera recently so I was very rusty, and the heat haze on the Friday was brutal. I'll put a post up later in the gallery section.

Update on this. Test was great, got on really well with the R7. Seemed quite a step up from the 80D, especially on the AF. So, i'm currently sat looking at my new R7 this afternoon :)

I also appear to have picked up an RF 24-105 f4 L...... It's been an expensive couple of days!

Update on this. Test was great, got on really well with the R7. Seemed quite a step up from the 80D, especially on the AF. So, i'm currently sat looking at my new R7 this afternoon :)

I also appear to have picked up an RF 24-105 f4 L...... It's been an expensive couple of days!
Good luck, I hope you enjoy your new squeeze…

Back