Underwater supermacro - Shaun the Sheep

Name
Mike
Edit My Images
Yes
This little fella is known as a 'Shaun the Sheep' nudibranch and a sought after subject due to the cute face and likeness to the TV character. This was a larger specimen, about 5mm in length, and was lit by a snoot which is an attachment that basically turns my strobe into. spotlight and allows for the beautiful light, generally giving a black background

Anyway, enough waffle, here's Shaun

Shaun-TP.jpg

Mike

Oh yes, cool ;)

Superb

Perfectly lit, great shot.

Lovely shot Mike top work (y)

Lovely work Mike ... wish I could swim :LOL:

You only need to be able to sink :)

No worries, I can do that :LOL:

Oh yes, cool ;)

I wonder what colour Shaun would be under UV light...?

Amazing! Well done Mike :D
Thanks everyone - @Jungli - no idea, they use photosynthesis as part of their feeding so no idea on the colour under other light. There was another tiny one next to him/her who was yellow which as interesting as the green food mustn't have kicked in yet

Mike

Such an incredible creature. Thanks for sharing.

That's amazing. I love that. But; 5mm?? Or did you mean 5cm?

Such an incredible creature. Thanks for sharing.
Thanks Dean, they have a proper cute factor about them
That's amazing. I love that. But; 5mm?? Or did you mean 5cm?
Cheers - and yes, 5mm. They're tiny. This one was also with another tiny one that I'm guessing was a juvenile due to the yellow colouring

big-and-little-Shaun-TP.jpg
Wonderful - what camera and lens did you use?
Thanks for that. Gear is a Sony A1 with 90mm with a strong underwater diopter close up lens called the Nauticam SMC-1. Lighting was a retra strobe with a snoot attachment. The camera is kept dry in a Nauticam housing

Mike

Comical looking creatures, great colours, nicely done Mike.

Thanks Dean, they have a proper cute factor about them

Cheers - and yes, 5mm. They're tiny. This one was also with another tiny one that I'm guessing was a juvenile due to the yellow colouring

View attachment 390466

Thanks for that. Gear is a Sony A1 with 90mm with a strong underwater diopter close up lens called the Nauticam SMC-1. Lighting was a retra strobe with a snoot attachment. The camera is kept dry in a Nauticam housing

Mike
I guess that is an expensive combination?
Where in the world was this by the way?
(I am now hearing the theme song to Saun the Sheep in my head)

That's incredible. I have nothing but admiration for underwater photographers; it's a massively different and more challenging game. To get any results is an achievement, let alone ones as good as yourn. Amazing. 5mm!!!

Superb Mike! I remember when I first saw one, just couldn't believe how small they were!

Comical looking creatures, great colours, nicely done Mike.
Cheers Chris, they're certainly a little unusual
I guess that is an expensive combination?
Where in the world was this by the way?
(I am now hearing the theme song to Saun the Sheep in my head)
Yep - it's got to the stage I can't hide the cost from Mrs P anymore - I had a good run beforehand though! They were taken at a dive site called Melasti, in Tulamben which is a famous dive spot on the North East coast in Bali.
That's incredible. I have nothing but admiration for underwater photographers; it's a massively different and more challenging game. To get any results is an achievement, let alone ones as good as yourn. Amazing. 5mm!!!
Thanks Abdi, it's definitely different to land photography but it gives me an excuse to go diving on holiday!
incredible work love it
Thanks Kev
Lovely, as always Mike!
Ta Dale
Superb Mike! I remember when I first saw one, just couldn't believe how small they were!
Yeah, I didn't realise how small until we found the first couple. the yellow one was minute. You got another underwater rig yet Lee?

Mike

Last edited:
Yeah, I didn't realise how small until we found the first couple. the yellow one was minute. You got another underwater rig yet Lee?
No rig yet, not convinced I will get one anytime soon either ☹️

stunning mike far to old for diving now but miss it , guess everything's moved on and some

Back