Useful non-camera accessories

Name
Martin
Edit My Images
Yes
I thought it might be handy to list bits that are useful in an auxiliary way. So not camera/tripod/film/chemistry discussion, but bits and bobs

For example, for print and negative storage buy anything by Print File. I've found I can actually use them. The Kenro sheets I tried were useless, took an age to get the negatives in.

Now your turn!

keep a black or green plastic bin bag in your bag or your pocket, they are good for kneeling or lying on the floor (y) or a quick cover for your camera if you get caught out by the rain

USB cable.

:LOL::shrug:

Go on then. How does a usb cable help with a film camera then Welly?

Did you get here from the front page or something?

Lightmeter? :)

The bin bag is a good one, found that very useful. Also allows me to sit on wet ground while I wait for the right light.

Rice Krispie squares are another one that finds it's way into my bag. (Digital or film) because you never know when you might stay out longer and get a bit peckish. :)

A small torch for checking your camera settings at night.

I also have a combined mini tripod/G-clamp which can be used on a fence or wall whenever I don't carry a full size tripod with me.

Moralibo; Useful for long hikes (got Blapto to thank for that one)

Head torch; Sometimes I need both hands free

Smallish Screwdriver and Allen Keys; Things fall apart sometimes

Notebook and Pen; Indeed, the road to hell is paved with good intentions ;)

Some form of map & sunrise/sunset compass

A watch with a stopwatch

Midge-Wear!

A couple of people suggesting pen and notepad.... NOOOO!!! Pens leak and you dont want a leaky pen in yer camera bag.. make it a pencil and paper (and mebbe a sharpner)

A couple of people suggesting pen and notepad.... NOOOO!!! Pens leak and you dont want a leaky pen in yer camera bag.. make it a pencil and paper (and mebbe a sharpner)

I always carry a pen, right next to my model releases.

Also:
GPS
Pocket laser pointer (can make focusing in low light easier)

Gaffa Tape...

It's like the force, it's got a dark side and a light side, and it's holding the world together...

And I'll second the Moralibo... can't begin to count the number of Mountanbike Nightrides that have been saved/made more pleasant/less gruesome by passing around a bag of Tangfastics and a Hipflask!

Ah, yes, moralibo... I should have put that in the first post!

Pen and notepad... If we're going for products the Moleskine notepads are a little more expensive (though reasonable if you buy in bulk) but feel really nice in the hand!

Small towel, folded in the base of my cheap-but-good angler's shoulder bag for padding, and used for mopping the sweaty brow and specs of the hard-working tog.

Agree with pencil rather than pens, which always seem to stop working if the card (cut from cereal boxes etc., so it's stiff enough to write on in the hand) is at all greasy or damp.

For when conditions are likely to be a bit more extreme (e.g. long cycling events), squares cut from white plastic bottles with a hole punched through a corner so they can be tied somewhere, will work with a Chinagraph pencil for note-taking in bad weather.

occasionally when I take pictures of jewellery etc I use blue tack and tin foil taped to some card to bounce some light onto the subject. I also occasionnly use a little bit of polystyrene if the silver of the foil is too harsh

bulldog cilps come in hand to help me stop wrestling with the darkcloth.

pencil, paper for making exposure notes.

penknife for sharpening pencil, or whatever else it may come in handy for

Plastic carrier bags and gaffer tape!

Cheaper that body armour for keeping out the rain.

Back