Beginner very amateur video as a guest at a wedding

KIPAX

Seriously Likeable
Name
KIPAX Lancashire UK
Edit My Images
No
I was guest at a wedding on Sunday and was encouraged to take my new toy the Sony AX53 .. So this is very much from a guest POV .. There was an official video lady there and I kept out of her way (of course) so couldnt get any of the best angles which was fine.. I was learning on the spot... Weddings are a long day and i get fidgity so this gave me somehting to do

Its all hand held and the stabalisation wasnt too bad.. inside for meal dull lighting and first dance bad lighting i think it managed OK seeing as these where its supposed worse bits but i am happy

had to rip out all the music for youtube

I know I ahve a lot to learn but for a first attempt learn as you go i was reasonably happy.. kept one dodgy shaky bit in as the best man was funny so kept that in

was impressed wiht the wedding photogrpaher as well.. again kept well out of his way thats why hes on the video :)

View: https://youtu.be/xX2Ks1SSEKc?si=wjaYG0uWu9l1dsQt

KIPAX

you know I hated that ax53 but apart from that maybe i can give a few little pointerssIif i may .

Yes looks ok but why oh why not leave in the original sound???? that is part of making a video.

With that camera one is encouraged to use the sony microphone in their hotshoe with the electronic contact built in. And to be honest it is not the best microphone, I had one. That damn flappy cover drove me nuts. which needed removing, even a self made cover would be better out of a bit of plastic.

If your spending around £1000 for a camcorder get a decent microphone that does stereo and /or directional all in one. I have had/got several microphones so sound quality makes all the difference. below are two of the smaller makes which do the job BUT still not the best have come across

Left is the sennheiser MKE400 and on the Right the Panasonic WD-MBS10

P1060502.jpg

one is directional and the other stereo/directioal. look cloely and see the problem (they both work by the way). Did you spot it? they both have audio cables fixed into them. damage a cable and no mike. also the sound is a bit on the "tinny" side as are all small microphones.
Now most would point you towards Rode microphones but they have the same issue. So I did a lot of research believe me. Yes I found he ideal one with AZDEN SMX.30 V. Ok a lot larger but boy what a difference. OK cost around £250 but well worth it
link

Ok it is a bit of a lump and gets noticed but so does one shoved in a face by interviewers . did you notice the detachable Audio cable mentioned or the battereis and easily accessible while on the camera?

Hope you don't mind my comments its just what i have learn't over 12 years of making videos

OneI did of tree cutting next door . not so mucy the video but listen to he sound, you won't get much better that this

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-63EXbCOw4

Last edited:

you know I hated that ax53 but apart from that maybe i can give a few little pointersIif i may .

Of course thats why we are here mate :)

Yes looks ok but why oh why not leave in the original sound???? that is part of making a video.

Plain and simple.. there was a musician there.. girl with guitar playing all day.. one commercial song aftre another... youtube wouldnt have let me publish.. same with first dance.. i really wanted to keep it in :( I think it spoils it .. but what could i do :(

Ok it is a bit of a lump and gets noticed but so does one shoved in a face by interviewers . did you notice the detachable Audio cable mentioned or the battereis and easily accessible while on the camera?

As mentioned in the past i didnt want to go overboard with accessories.. I want to be as UN noticable as possible .. also that was a one off the wedding... i dont get to many haha... 99% of what I do will be sports and sound wont be thta important.. if it does start to erk me then i am straight back to this thread to see what i can do but its not that bad for my simple needs:)

Hope you don't mind my comments its just waht i have learn't over 12 years of making videos

of course.. like i say., whats the point of me posting unless i want replies

I have to say thouhg i went for the cony ax53 because it doesnt stand out as much as the panasonic.. i want to stay amatuer looking.. if i add too much it gets a bit pro look.. I have added a rubber eyecup and stepup ring+ uv filter as that open end was a worry for much dust rain

all in all i am pretty happy with the choice but obviously strive to do the best i can :)

Fair enough and you did well then, I didn't know about the music but suprised about youtube banning as it was original live not played on a commercial platform ie disc.
As soon as one brings out a camcorder you get noticed, the one I have now it the third I have owned.
as for size of mine
P1060503.jpg
noy much bigger than yours I suspect with a battery attached, yhe battery it is under mine.

Back