IMG_8454PhantomMidgelarvav4 by davholla2002, on Flickr

Water Louse Asellus aquaticus, The real size is 5.84 mm, magnification is 1.4

IMG_8945Waterlousev4 by davholla2002, on Flickr

Water Louse Asellus aquaticus, The real size is 5.84 mm, magnification is 1.4

IMG_8910Waterlousev2 by davholla2002, on Flickr

IMG_9068WaterLousev3 by davholla2002, on Flickr
Gnat larva, the real size is 6.18 mm, magnification is 1.4

IMG_8502Gnatlarvav3 by davholla2002, on Flickr

An interesting insight to a tiny world that many never get to see. (y)

Defo looks like all the cyclops l've seen.
I was told it could be " Or Mesocyclops, Eucyclops, Acanthocyclops, inter alia "
To be honest I thought that they were all just cyclops. I am not any good at identifying anything (depressingly I have lots of friends who are so bad at identifying things who think that I am expert). However the difference between Mesocyclops, Eucyclops, Acanthocyclops is really beyond me.
Apparently
" Fine tungsten needles and steady hands!...generic and species ID is based on the fifth leg (P5), morphology of trunk limbs (P1-4), antennule segmentation, among other things. Several of the 'Guides to Identification of the Microinvertebrates of the Continental Waters of the World' series by Backhuys Publishers have keys to some genera, but only a few have been treated to date. "

Saying that I am really ignorant on the subject - so maybe someone was falling me.
see here for more details

Last edited:
I was told it could be " Or Mesocyclops, Eucyclops, Acanthocyclops, inter alia "
To be honest I thought that they were all just cyclops. I am not any good at identifying anything (depressingly I have lots of friends who are so bad at identifying things who think that I am expert). However the difference between Mesocyclops, Eucyclops, Acanthocyclops is really beyond me.
Apparently
" Fine tungsten needles and steady hands!...generic and species ID is based on the fifth leg (P5), morphology of trunk limbs (P1-4), antennule segmentation, among other things. Several of the 'Guides to Identification of the Microinvertebrates of the Continental Waters of the World' series by Backhuys Publishers have keys to some genera, but only a few have been treated to date. "

Saying that I am really ignorant on the subject - so maybe someone was falling me.
see here for more details
I thought they were all cyclops too. One eye and a bunch of grapes hanging off the rear has always been known to me as cyclops, l have never looked into species level unfortunately. I like the photos though.

Back