Wedding photographers £?

Edit My Images
Yes
Hey guys
One of my best friends just got engaged :woot: no dates or anything set yet well none she’s told me anyway. The bride and groom are planning on paying for the entire wedding themselves :shock: :nut: so they're trying to work out how much its going to cost them. They don't live near where they're planning to get hitched so can't ring round for prices yet.

They asked me how much I thought it'd be god alone knows why since I'm not married and have had no reason to cost up a wedding! I told'em I had no earthly clue but that I’d ask around. So can anyone give me a ball ground figure for a wedding photographer in Sussex specifically Yapton church?

The best thing you can do is look on the internet for wedding photographers in your area - there are usually wedding directories that list such things.

Prices can vary quite wildly depending on package, quality and so on. I don't think there's a definitive answer.

GfK said:
Prices can vary quite wildly depending on package, quality and so on. I don't think there's a definitive answer.

That is the definitive answer :) A real cheapy will start of from around £1000 and go upwards at a startling rate if they are hiring a professional. Also they should expect to pay more that what was agree as afterwards they will probably want extra prints, reprints, more pics in the album leading to a bigger more expensive album, and then probably a large framed picture of themselevs too. Ant Maud and uncle ted will was copies but won't pay for them themselves etc. Alot of couples forget all that at the time of booking a pro photographer and can end up paying more oevrall that getting a more expensive package to start with.

I have seen it almost weekly when I was doing wedding photography for a studio. ;)

A real cheapy will start of from around £1000 and go upwards at a startling rate
Wait..... £1,000 is CHEAP??

Now, I'm only starting out with wedding photography at the moment but I've got a couple of bookings for next year which, given my experience shortfall I'm only charging £249.00 for! I'd do a fully edited video on DVD or VHS for around the same price.

Have I got the right idea or have I shot myself in the foot here?

I think you may have shot yourself on that one!!!
I charge £800.00 - £1000.00 plus prints plus album!

Gary Bagshawe said:
I charge £800.00 - £1000.00 plus prints plus album!

...and do you consider that to be competitive? I mean, do you actually have customers?

I don't think you shot yourself in the foot necessarily. You have to be honest and assess your work against that of the more expensive pros who all have to make a living from it remember, and most at least will be seasoned pros producing good work. They'll also be having regular dialogue with the taxman - which you may not. :whistling

And what are your actual overheads? If you're using digital, you don't even have to buy film, so apart from petrol and processing costs, it's clear profit, so offset that against the actual time this is going to take you on a Saturday morning and it doesn't usually come out as a bad hourly rate. Having said that, you're charging my sort of bottom end price for nipping around the regiustry office and taking a few shots of the very small ten minute wedding at short notice.

Whilst I pitched my prices for larger church weddings well under the price of local pros, a Saturday morning would net me more income than a weeks pay in my regular job, but that was a situation I gradually worked up to. Comparing your prices with those of the pros is pointless, they have overheads you don't, and you're not making your whole living at it.

Start off modestly, get yourself a good name for the work you do, and you'll have no shortage of work rolling in. Gradually increase your prices as you feel your work honestly merits it, but bear in mind that there's a point where you stand to lose the job or they think they may as well pay that sort of money to a 'proper' pro. :)

...and do you consider that to be competitive? I mean, do you actually have customers?

More than I want, I do not like weddings but the income earned makes it worth while. I am currently looking for other local photographers to pass the work onto, they do the shoot and give me the pics to do the rest.
People are very surprised at the amount I charge and think that it is a very reasonable price for what they get!!!!

I'm in doncaster, throw 'em my way! :thumb:

Thats not too far, Maybe we could meet up and I can see your work and if it's up to scratch You can ave em!!!!!
Or maybe you could come along to a couple as an assistant to see how I do things.
Either way Im sure beer could be included somewhere along the way!!!!

Sounds like a plan. I seriously wouldn't mind tagging along with you to one of 'em at some point as you're (high likely) far more experienced than myself - I'm pretty new to 'serious' photography.

And yes, beer is always good. ;)

I regularly worked on weddings that the cost for the photography alone was over £4000 but that did include a full digital and film shoot inc all the prints into the album, some designer pages and a disc full of digital stuff also. But the studio I worked from was booked up full for at least 18months in advance so there was no shortage of customers who paid the price.

The studio also never advertised and all new customers were brought in from word of mouth and maintaining exceptionally high standards. The work got us our customers. There are many many photographers out there that claim to be professionals but quite frankly do a shoddy job. The true professional will take great care in the work and their attention to detail will be very apparent in the finished product, you will also find that they are nevr cheap and booked up well in advance.

Start low (price wise) get a quality portofio with many different styles of wedding shots, all of top quality and then as your reputation and customer base grows, increase your prices accordingly.

Thats my advice.

This thread's making me want to start doing weddings.... Mmmm... Money.

Steve & CT, why did you both stop doing them, out of interest? And what's the minimum kit I'd need to start? I'm guessing a good speedlite for one.

Other work related issues at the studio and with my real full time job were major influences in me stopping photographing weddings plus never forget that it is extremely hard work too and a huge responsibility.

To do a pro wedding, kit wise you would need 2 of everything minimum, one for use and one for backup oh and don’t forget the obligatory insurance for when things go horribly wrong. The nicest clients in world have a habit of becoming monsters if things do go as they expect, it falls on your shoulders not only to control the situation but to also deliver the goods to your standards and in a timely manner. Mistakes are amplified tenfold and errors can become catastrophic.

There is big money at the end of it for the pros as they earn every penny of it. If you are really considering attempting to make a living from this game, I would advice to think long and hard and make sure you cover your own back.

Best of luck is all I can say. :)

On the subject of insurance, how much would I be looking at to insure my normal (non-wedding) daily activities*? And which companies are good?

*walking around parks on my lunch break taking photos.

I packed in simply because I just couldn't face doing even one more, but that's after several hundred I would think. I did actually go full time for about 3 years. The last three I did on consecutive Saturdays were all in the pouring rain with nightmare venues for taking ALL the shots indoors. That just about made my mind up. I don't have to do it any more so I don't. :)

As Steve said you need two of everything - belt and braces, sooner or later you'll come unstuck if you don't.

Sounds like too much stress to me! I think the guilt would be too much for me to bear if everything went t1ts up at some point and I lost all the work.
I enjoy my photography too much to put it under that kind of pressure!

Back