Wet Bee

Nice shots Bryn
How can a cuckoo bee (especially a male) go home?

Nice shots Bryn
How can a cuckoo bee (especially a male) go home?

Well home is somewhere that isn't a drowned plant. Bombus cuckoo bees have stolen nests, not sure if its only females which inhabit there bee cousins or not. (y)

Well home is somewhere that isn't a drowned plant. Bombus cuckoo bees have stolen nests, not sure if its only females which inhabit there bee cousins or not. (y)

I forgot that was how cuckoo bumble bees sometimes work I think it is only females that inhabit the nest after killing the queen

https://www.bwars.com/bee/apidae/bombus-vestalis

Nesting biology
After emerging from hibernation during April the mated female seeks out a small B. terrestris nest with a few workers. The female sneaks into the nest and hides while it acquires the nest scent. It may dominate, or kill, the host queen and takes over the egg laying for the colony. These eggs produce only new B. vestalis females and males, which take no part in the running of the colony, all work being done by the host workers.

Last edited:
Great pics. :)

A little sugar water is often all that's needed to set a tired bee back on its tracks. (y)

I forgot that was how cuckoo bumble bees sometimes work I think it is only females that inhabit the nest after killing the queen

https://www.bwars.com/bee/apidae/bombus-vestalis

Nesting biology
After emerging from hibernation during April the mated female seeks out a small B. terrestris nest with a few workers. The female sneaks into the nest and hides while it acquires the nest scent. It may dominate, or kill, the host queen and takes over the egg laying for the colony. These eggs produce only new B. vestalis females and males, which take no part in the running of the colony, all work being done by the host workers.

Great information there Alf. (y)

Very interesting illustrated story, you've probably got a friend for life there!

:D that would have been ok.

Great pics. :)

A little sugar water is often all that's needed to set a tired bee back on its tracks. (y)

This one was soaked and cold not hungry. I tried offering some Jam but wasnt interested as soon as it warmed up off it went. Thanks for the comment.

Reactions: Sky
Back