Whale watching

Name
paul
Edit My Images
Yes
I am going on a whale watching boat trip in a few weeks and was wondering if anyone had any advice on what lens size to take?
I will be taking my Sony A9 and have a Sony 100-400mm plus a 200-600mm lens.
I also can get a loan of my wifes Tamron 50-400mm.

I would suggest the 100-400. When whales suddenly breach you want to be able to start wide to quickly grab the subject, 200mm is a little narrow (imo).

I believe the A9 has pre-capture? If so, this will be invaluable.

I am going on a whale watching boat trip in a few weeks and was wondering if anyone had any advice on what lens size to take?
I will be taking my Sony A9 and have a Sony 100-400mm plus a 200-600mm lens.
I also can get a loan of my wifes Tamron 50-400mm.

I've done a few whale trips in my time. It depends on what type of vessel you are going out on, if it's a ferry, say across Biscay, then your 200-600 would be a good option, if on the other hand you are going on a smaller boat then 100-400 would be my choice. But what ever you choose it's going to be the wrong choice, I've managed to do that and never really learnt from it ;).

I've done a few whale trips in my time. It depends on what type of vessel you are going out on, if it's a ferry, say across Biscay, then your 200-600 would be a good option, if on the other hand you are going on a smaller boat then 100-400 would be my choice. But what ever you choose it's going to be the wrong choice, I've managed to do that and never really learnt from it ;).
It will be a small boat specificaly going out whale watching so likely to get reasonably close.

How true on the last point. The first was taken at 47mm and the second at 24mm. (Note: they approached us and followed all best/ethical practice, Orcas are just inquisitive!):

On a more serious note - if you are expecting the whales to be a longer way away, then I'd recommend a Dot Sight or similar. Last time I went whale watching, with a 600mm equiv lens, I didn't take mine and regretted it several times.

How true on the last point. The first was taken at 47mm and the second at 24mm. (Note: they approached us and followed all best/ethical practice, Orcas are just inquisitive!):

The 50-400mm Tamron may come in handy if they come this close.

Back