What do you look for

I am new to this and find myself shooting a lot of pics of seens with water in the foreground. I'm a bit confused on where to focus. The one third rule puts my focus point in the water most of the time and the background which is the main part of the seen out of focus. I usually focus on the background and recompose the shot. Is this the correct way to do it?

markmullen said:
Most important for me is the light. Next I look for a background, mountains, the sea, whatever. Finally I look for a foreground element to balance the shot.

Once I've got those elements together I work on a composition that feels balanced, often this will contain the usual rules of composition, thirds, leading lines etc.

Pretty much this. Although I also try to keep an eye out for patterns and try to get clean backgrounds.

Shaylou,
You are doing it all wrong. Focusing on the background leaves quite a lot of the image out of focus. The depth of field extends from the focal plane to one third towards the camera and two thirds away from the camera. If you focus on infinity, then you are wasting two thirds of your acceptable focus.
try to focus a third of the way into the scene (not seen, by the way ) and use a depth of field of no less than f8. Try not to shoot at minimum aperture as this can cause problems, f8-f11 is what is called the sweet spot and will render most of the image sharp or acceptably sharp.
I hope this helps.

canonlad said:
Shaylou,
You are doing it all wrong. Focusing on the background leaves quite a lot of the image out of focus. The depth of field extends from the focal plane to one third towards the camera and two thirds away from the camera. If you focus on infinity, then you are wasting two thirds of your acceptable focus.
try to focus a third of the way into the scene (not seen, by the way ) and use a depth of field of no less than f8. Try not to shoot at minimum aperture as this can cause problems, f8-f11 is what is called the sweet spot and will render most of the image sharp or acceptably sharp.
I hope this helps.

Okay I will give this a try soon. I have a pretty good understanding of depth of field but I'm always confused on where to focus. Thanks for the help.

Back