What equipment do I need to print photo's on location?

London Headshots

Suspended / Banned
Name
John
Edit My Images
No
Hi there, I've had a client offer me a job where I'll be photographing people with a celebrity, and then printing the pictures out for him to sign directly after.

All I have is a Canon 5D2.

As I see it, I need some kind of printer, and something to connect the camera to it for immediate printing.

Does anyone have any experience with this kind of thing?

Ideally I'd like to rent everything I need for the day.

Thanks in advance.

I'd rent a dye sub that prints 6x4's very quickly (I think the mitso one is good for that) then hook it up to a laptop and use a wft to send pics to laptop then have a guy running it

systems insight I know do printer rentals, calumet I'm pretty sure rent wft's and you gotta have a techy mate who'll run it for 50 quid....

from a dye sub printer... how long between printing out and then safely putting in bag/envalope whatever for customer?

An alternative to wireless transmission would be to have multiple cards and a card reader (some printers will read the card directly) and just swop out as and when you need to print. Low tech and a bit mucky but cheap :)

Make sure you have plenty of paper and spare ink cartridges (some printers can drink ink), new printers often come with only partly filled cartridges and take the manufacturers claims about how many prints per cartridge with a very large pinch of salt.

Incidentally - what about copyright and the recipient of the print not using the print for themselves? I'm assuming you have Insurance to cover injuring anyone etc?

Matt

from a dye sub printer... how long between printing out and then safely putting in bag/envalope whatever for customer?

It's dry when it pops out the printer, no need to wait.

Make sure you have plenty of paper and spare ink cartridges (some printers can drink ink), new printers often come with only partly filled cartridges and take the manufacturers claims about how many prints per cartridge with a very large pinch of salt.

You will be using a dye sublimation printer. Non issue, just make sure that you've got enough print media and mounts.

hire a dye sub printer from photomart or systems insight (both require a large deposit), it comes with print media on a sale or return basis.

My usual workflow for event work is camera tethered to laptop by a 5m usb cable. Laptop has lightroom 3 tethering, select which photo (I usually take 4 at a time, so quick selection, deals with blinkers etc) and hit print in the print module in lr. Comes out the dye sub a short while later, mount and bag it.

To answer the origianl question - a 6x4" will come out in approx 8-9 seconds. They are roll feed printers, full bleed printing , with a thin laminate coating - so it it is raining it won't get damaged.

Dye subs are the most commonly used printing method for on site photo printing. A number of brands available - as well as Mitsubishi, DNP, Sony , Fuji , HiTi, and Kodak.

itsdavedotnet, thanks for the link. I ordered a DSP from systems insight in the end. Portable, 300 quid, deposit included. Not a bad deal.

Thanks dude.

Thanks to everyone else who weighed in as well :)

Haven't heard of a DSP, do you mean a Mitsubishi DPS Click system?

Hiring the kit could mean you take a big loss if you don't do that well on the night. I hired for my first event and did ok but the costs of hiring meant I only broke even. I also made some fundamental mistakes that cost me sales. Events are more than just printing photos on site!

If you hadn't rented the kit already the suggestion I would have given would be to link up with an experienced event photographer who has all the kit and knowledge already and split the profits.

I typically take an estate car full of kit, Dye-Sub printer, a number of viewing stations, a server/printing machine plus lights, backgrounds, tables etc.

If you were based anywhere near manchester I would have suggested that you give me a shout with some of the details regarding the event and we could have possibly worked together.

Back