What went wrong? Olympus TG6 macro

Name
David
Edit My Images
Yes
I have seen some decent photos with the TG6 but this I took wasn't one of them.
I have taken much better with my Canon gear but I think the difference should be a lot less.
Any ideas?
P7020038_Cockchafer by davholla2002, on Flickr

I used the default macro setting with flash - here are the actual values
ƒ/10.0 11.1 mm 1/60 640 Flash (on, fired) Show EXIF

I wonder if the shutter speed was too slow - how to make the shutter speed faster? I don't find the Olympus that easy to change - btw I have looked in the manual but I might have missed something
I want to take the photos on the beach sometimes and my Canon gear is not going on the beach

To me, it looks hazy, as though it was shot through glass.
I would have thought if the flash was on, you'd get a min 1/200th
without having the iso up that high.

But I don't know anything about Oly's, so I'm just going on what I'd expect from my Canon M50.

Try the Oly thread I'm sure someone there can help.

Last edited:
Looks like it was hand held, and the camera moved between the time it focussed and the time the shot was taken.
How far was the camera from the subject? If is was close, even 1mm would destroy the sharpness.

On the beach, it will probably be fine, two very different tasks for the camera.

Last edited:
Looks like it was hand held, and the camera moved between the time it focussed and the time the shot was taken.
How far was the camera from the subject? If is was close, even 1mm would destroy the sharpness.

On he beach, it will probably be fine, two very different tasks for the camera.
It was handheld but I would have thought that the camera would focus quickly enough for that not to be a problem. I know others take good photos with this gear handheld.

It was handheld but I would have thought that the camera would focus quickly enough for that not to be a problem. I know others take good photos with this gear handheld.
How many shots did you take :)

About 8-10 I am pretty sure that with my Canon I would have got better (and have for this species in the past)
Will you be taking this kind of shot on the beach where you don't want to take the Canon?

That camera uses a tiny sensor and you shot it at f10 so diffraction would be an issue and at iso 640 with a tiny sensor wouldn't help either.
you should use iso 100 and max f5.6 with a shutter of at least 1/200, add flash to freeze the insect if scene is to dark to acheive these settings.
That is a base to start from and tweak it to suit your handholding skill. Hope this helps in some way David. ;)

On the beach, it will probably be fine, two very different tasks for the camera.
I've no idea what went wrong here, but the Olympus TG 6 is a very capable camera and in the right hands takes excellent images, just ask @RedRobin or see his Flickr page https://www.flickr.com/photos/114775606@N07/albums/72157714089086242

Last edited:
Will you be taking this kind of shot on the beach where you don't want to take the Canon?
Yes precisely where surprisingly I found the beetle - sadly a teenager with mental health issues killed it. If I had seen him before hand he wouldn't have done.

Yes precisely where surprisingly I found the beetle - sadly a teenager with mental health issues killed it. If I had seen him before hand he wouldn't have done.
I had a quick look at the manual, and it looks like you can set the aperture and the ISO but not the shutter speed.
I also see it does focus bracketing, which you could then merge (I use Affinity, as it is quick and easy)

I also see that camera can focus extremely close, but then slightest movement at those distances is going to make it luck of the draw handheld. though the more practice put into it, the more the luck increases.

Maybe it is worth experimenting on a static subject and tripod to determine the best way, and work from there.

Back