Which 135mm F2.8?

Name
Chris
Edit My Images
No
I have 2 135mm leanses, both 2.8's. I'm not sure which is the better though. One is a Vivitar, the other is an AUTO-CHINON. Both have the auto/manual switch, but they'll be used on a Fujica ST605, which isn't auto...

Could anyone offer an opinion as to which one I take and which one I leave at home when I go to Canada next week?

I'm not so sure at the minute, the Vivitar's in better shape than the Chinon. Could take both and compare results :LOL:

I doubt you will find a bad 135mm. This was the market that lens makers targeted.

Yes you are correct in that most are to a good minimum standard...but for my three 135mm f3.5 lenses there is a difference in sharpness:-

Best Canon 135mm f3.5 breechlock
2nd Hexanon 135mm f3.5
3rd Pentax 135 f3.5 screw.

Still looking for the ultimate 135mm (hidden gem) for peanuts.

I picked up a Soligor 135mm f 2.8 that is really sharp this is one I took with it

3130716301_337bd753da.jpg

Yes you are correct in that most are to a good minimum standard...but for my three 135mm f3.5 lenses there is a difference in sharpness:-

2nd Hexanon 135mm f3.5

CZ MC S 135 F3.5!

About 40-50gbp and sharp enough to shave with at 5.6 on. Sharp wide open too.

CZ MC S 135 F3.5? well not from ebay, all silly prices now.

Interesting conclusion from a bunch of 135mm lenses:-

Pretty much everyone is very sharp by f8.
http://oomz.net/135/

CZ MC S 135 F3.5!

About 40-50gbp and sharp enough to shave with at 5.6 on. Sharp wide open too.

Well I've just had a Komine Vivitar 135mm f2.8 delivered....the f2.8 will be handy but will it be better than a Canon 135 f3.5 for sharpness...we shall see.

remember that vivitar didn't actually make any lenses. They specified them and had other people make them.

If you take the first couple of digits of the serial number then you can look up who actually made the lens.

remember that vivitar didn't actually make any lenses. They specified them and had other people make them.

If you take the first couple of digits of the serial number then you can look up who actually made the lens.

Indeed, the first two numbers are 28, but what made me suspicious is that on ebay I won it for £8 (postage was £4.50)...well either I was lucky or the non macro Viv 135 f2.8 isn't recognised as a great lens.

2nd Hexanon 135mm f3.5

I use a CZJ 135 on M42 mount. Just a lovely lens. And very reasonably priced on the bay

I use a CZJ 135 on M42 mount. Just a lovely lens. And very reasonably priced on the bay

I've given up on E German and Russian lenses on ebay, as the quality can vary also there is quite a lot of buyers after them. But still looking at boot sales..erm what is the chance of me being the first to meet an old lady on a stall who's husband has died and is selling off his camera gear and doesn't know anything about prices.
The only camera item I saw yesterday at a giant boot sale, that might have been a good buy was a Yashica 50mm f2.2 lens for £5 (I reckon he would have taken £4)......I don't have a Yashica so passed.

I look at the camera shops selling used gears on the internet nearly everyday; and sometimes one can get a great price.

From recollection; I paid 30£ for the CZJ and it was guaranteed by the seller for 6 months.

If you are on the lookout for something specific, let me know. If I spot it on sale, I'll let you know

I look at the camera shops selling used gears on the internet nearly everyday; and sometimes one can get a great price.

From recollection; I paid 30£ for the CZJ and it was guaranteed by the seller for 6 months.

If you are on the lookout for something specific, let me know. If I spot it on sale, I'll let you know

Thank you, I missed the boat last year for a Canon FD 24mm f2.8 for about £35-£40, and would be suprised if you saw this 24mm going at near this price on the net or a shop now. I reckon with the exchange rate UK buyers are being outbid by mainland Europe buyers.

Back