Which camera is better Nikon D600 or Nikon D7100

safamurtaza

I've just started photography five months ago. I bought Nikon D600 with 24-85mm VR kit lens. Now I've read on some other website that it's pictures are having oil spots.

Is there oil spots showing up on yours?

Heather beat me to it!

If you have had it for 5months and not noticed any spots I wouldn't worry about it.

If I was going to buy another DSLR, it would probably be a D7200 or 400 since I already have a 700 & 800. More seriously, they're so different that they can't really be directly compared. Yes, you can compare their high ISO performance, AF speed etc. but FF and Dx are very different animals whatever the number is. I can only echo the above advice, stick with your (presumably, so far) trouble free D600. Quite apart from anything else, you'll take quite a hit on it even if it's traded in against a D7100.

It's like I'm a beginner in photography and right now I've only got one lens i.e 24-85mm VR kit lens

No I've not seen any spots I guess on it but as it's gone flop so it'll get de value....

Have you seen lots of cheap D600s then?

If you don't see any spots I can't see the problem if you are happy with the camera otherwise.

BTW that is a hell of a beginners camera! :D

Heather

My uncle he's a photographer sometimes I take tips from him. While I keep on experimenting or looking for online tutorials. It's like I'm a student if year 11 and right now I'm trying to concentrate on my studies so I'm ain't giving much time to photography.

There's no harm in learning on good equipment (and both qualify as that), while all the features may seem daunting when viewed as a whole, it's easy enough to start off using them as almost completely automatic cameras (try P mode and not changing the settings if there's no fully automatic mode) then introducing adjustments and variations from the suggested settings as you gain confidence. Maybe you could spend some time with your uncle learning more? There are loads of good books covering all aspects of the hobby, try in you local library and see which grab you and maybe buy them. Charity shops can be a good, cheap source. There might even be a good photography or camera club local to you who would welcome a new member, try asking in your local camera shop.

So you think that I should not change my camera?
The camera is a tool you learn to use. You change it when it won't do what you want it to do.

You need to have a very specific requirement for a camera to be totally unsuitable for you, ie a camera designed for ultimate image quality at the cost of speed is unsuitable for sports.

Arsing about changing gear rather than learning to use what you've got will get you precisely nowhere. Stop worrying about the gear, get out and use it and swap it when it's stopping you doing what you want to do. All the gear in the world won't make you a better photographer, if you've got money to spend, spend it on stuff to photograph, trips out, courses, studio days etc.

No, Safa (if I may call you that), I see no need for you to change your camera. As Phil says, it's only a tool and if it can do the job better than you are able to at the moment, it means that you won't need to upgrade soon.

So you think that I should not change my camera?

Surely you should know from looking at your own pictures whether your camera has this issue? if not then why worry about it?

If the D7100 has advanatges over the D600 it would be that its autofocus points are more widely spread, its frames per second is faster and its cropped sensor gives more reach to tele lenses. The disadvantage is that the smaller sensor offers lower image quality so whilst the D7100 will give you more range the D600 will give you more low light shooting ability.

Well when I checked my camera it was even having oil spots. So I changed it and I got Nikon D7100 with 18-200mm lens.

Lol

My Ferrari got a puncture once, so I sold it and got a fiesta. Much happier now.

Safamurtaza if your not happy with your D7100 I have a D50 that I will swop, it will be better for you:banana:

I had both but ultimately the D600 has been better for me.

d600 is no comparison better its not worth discussing even.

What about sending the D7100 back under the DSR like stated above, then buy a D610? The 7100 isn't a bad camera by any stretch of the imagination. It's just there are no benefits I can think of.

Last edited:
Strange thread. It's like moving from a D600 to a D7100 is considered some sort of upgrade. Bizarro. :confused:

Depends what you shoot I guess?

I have the 7100 and 800 but I don't use my 800 much for equestrian shooting.

Last edited:
That's a bit of a backward move, if I may say so. If you were choosing between the 2 as to which to buy, I would say buy the D7100, but you have actually swapped the D600 for a D7100? Over a few oil spot? Isn't Nikon still cleaning it for free? If you are worried about value of DSLR, there is one 1 way for each and every single one of them - DOWN! A 2nd hand good condition D600 is going for about a grand. Pretty good value I would say.

Back