Which developing tank?

Edit My Images
Yes
Have never developed film before so not quite sure what I'm going to need.

But to start with it looks like I'll need a developing tank of some sort.

I'll be using mostly 120 film but probably some 135 as well. All B&W. And not doing prints - will get a scanner.

So what should I be looking at? If I could get a full kit for not too much money, that would be ideal (dev tank/reel/thermometer/chemicals/anything else?)

Just looking for something simple and easy to use, that won't come apart in use.

Any suggestions?

Hello there. You won't go much wrong with a Paterson dev tank. The spiral is adjustable for 35, 120, 135 etc. You can pick them up cheap second hand on Fleabay.

Not sure if you've seen the link but there are some excellent PDFs on the Ilford website for starting to dev B&W by yourself. See here then click on the link for the PDF.

HTH

Mark F

Have a look on Silverprint's website.

I recently bought a Kaiser tank which came with two adjustable reels. You can fit both in with 35mm film or just one with 120.

I like the reel design as they have wide guides for the film at the start of the spiral. They are easy to load and best of all... the cheapest in their range!

I use a thermometer intended for wine making. Don't get a digital medical thermometer as they don't go low enough (guess how I know this!).

Ilford chemicals are probably the best to go for - again, have a look at Silverprint. DD-X developer is general purpose but very good. Don't bother with stop bath, just use water. Fix with Ilford's Rapid Fixer.

Steve.

I'd tend to go for a universal Paterson tank (though the Kaiser sounds worth looking at) that can be used to develop two 35mm or one 120. Personally i'd start with Ilford Ilfosol which is pretty easy to use then go onto powder developers once you've got more experience

A good book like the one i've placed a link to is worth buying before you start http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listing/0852231881/ref=dp_olp_used?ie=UTF8&condition=used

Thanks (y) Peter, just bought it. £2.76 delivered to the door :)

... and just arrived today.... £2.76 well spent

I was sat there watching a paterson tank at £0.99 till the last 30 seconds then as it approached 10 seconds I bid and typed in £4.50 clicked to make the bid then realised that as I have reinstalled my computer with Snow Leopard I wasn't logged in :( I watched as it went for £1.20 !!!

DOH!

Just seen a tank that has a winder to retrieve the film from a 35mm cartridge without a dark room or bag in the book I just bought. That looks pretty good. Anyone used one?

Back