Which host to replace Zenfolio?

Name
Mike
Edit My Images
Yes
I've had a zenfolio site for years and been happy enough with it. I only use it for a gallery to show friends and family, no interest in selling shots etc.

However, they have now started hiding your galleries that you've not updated for a while - I'm not about to go and re-edit photos from trips from a few years ago, so it seems a bit daft to me. You have to request they re-instate the gallery and for what I use if for I can't be bothered with it all.

Anyone have any ideas on something that can replace it? Not to keen on Flickr as I feel they change your image with their algorithms. All I need is somewhere simple to host with a relatively pleasing layout, easy to upload and a similar cost to Zenfolio - in the region of £60 per year

cheers

Mike

I looked at this a few months ago when my Zen account was up for renewal. I pay $40/pa -£35 ish and it has never increased for at least 10 years for unlimited storage.
I agree that the archive is a PITA as it takes a time to retrieve but I could not find anything giving unlimited storage for anywhere near the same price so I stayed.

to be fair you could very quickly and easily throw something in similar using wordpress, particularly since you don't have too many images on yours at the moment.

I was with them a long time ago until they started messing up every single customer order with their Coventry based lab!

Pixieset do a free account, it's excellent and very easy to use / share images with people.

I’ve been testing them all - I had to scrap Zenfolio straightaway because of the black background to viewing photos, and almost everything I shoot has a black background, which makes it impossible to distinguish between photo and background.

I ruled out The Image File as it has a horrible interface when compared with 90s sites.

PhotoShelter - I’ve been with them for nearly 15 years, and the only two things they’ve changed in that time has been SSL for custom domains, and their pricing. The only positive thing they do is allowing clients to select specific photos to download, but password-protecting client galleries usually backfires. Also, crappy SEO.

PhotoDeck does not have a nice layout, so that one didn’t last long.

That leaves Pixieset and Shootproof, which I’m currently choosing between; aesthetically, Pixieset is better, but Shootproof’s mobile apps are better for scrolling than Pixieset’s. Also, after dealing with the gibberish of Photoshelter’s URLs for years, I prefer P’s usage of gallery names in the URLs.

I’m also testing Wordpress, as a key priority for me is SEO. Annoyingly, the main photo plugins are pricey - I think USD$239, half-price for the first year - so I’m only using the free versions for now; so far, I’ve ruled out Sunshine as it has file names or titles, and navigation icons as overlays. I’m testing four other plugins, but NextGen seems to meet our (TP’s) needs the best.

Ah, I reread your post just now; I’ve put my iPad away, but Pixieset is probably cheapest in price, but still more than you’re currently paying. Both it and Shootproof offer free plans, though.

Oh - Photodeck’s popup windows for uploads annoyed me, and Sytist seemed very reluctant to allow free downloads, however it (and Photoshelter, sigh) was the only one to display IPTC.

Edit: I can share details of my test sites if you’d like to see their interface and how they look.

Another edit: I didn’t look into Smugmug, what do people think of it?

Last edited:
Not to keen on Flickr as I feel they change your image with their algorithms.
Have you got any more detail on this? It is the first that I have heard of it...

Ah, I reread your post just now; I’ve put my iPad away, but Pixieset is probably cheapest in price, but still more than you’re currently paying. Both it and Shootproof offer free plans, though.

Oh - Photodeck’s popup windows for uploads annoyed me, and Sytist seemed very reluctant to allow free downloads, however it (and Photoshelter, sigh) was the only one to display IPTC.

Edit: I can share details of my test sites if you’d like to see their interface and how they look.

Another edit: I didn’t look into Smugmug, what do people think of it?
Thanks for all that info - a lot to look at but really useful

Adobe give you a portfolio site for free with the photographer package
I changed my photography website to adobe portfolio and dropped zenfolio several years back. It’s one of the reasons I could justify the lightroom photography plan subscription model.

They actually allow you to have a total of four websites. I’ve got two websites running off it at present (one photography website and one non photography website)

Last edited:
I changed my photography website to adobe portfolio and dropped zenfolio several years back. It’s one of the reasons I could justify the lightroom photography plan subscription model.

They actually allow you to have a total of four websites. I’ve got two websites running off it at present (one photography website and one non photography website)
Nice one Rob, cheers

I’ve been testing them all - I had to scrap Zenfolio straightaway because of the black background to viewing photos, and almost everything I shoot has a black background, which makes it impossible to distinguish between photo and background.

I ruled out The Image File as it has a horrible interface when compared with 90s sites.

PhotoShelter - I’ve been with them for nearly 15 years, and the only two things they’ve changed in that time has been SSL for custom domains, and their pricing. The only positive thing they do is allowing clients to select specific photos to download, but password-protecting client galleries usually backfires. Also, crappy SEO.

PhotoDeck does not have a nice layout, so that one didn’t last long.

That leaves Pixieset and Shootproof, which I’m currently choosing between; aesthetically, Pixieset is better, but Shootproof’s mobile apps are better for scrolling than Pixieset’s. Also, after dealing with the gibberish of Photoshelter’s URLs for years, I prefer P’s usage of gallery names in the URLs.

I’m also testing Wordpress, as a key priority for me is SEO. Annoyingly, the main photo plugins are pricey - I think USD$239, half-price for the first year - so I’m only using the free versions for now; so far, I’ve ruled out Sunshine as it has file names or titles, and navigation icons as overlays. I’m testing four other plugins, but NextGen seems to meet our (TP’s) needs the best.
I've used Pixieset to deliver client galleries for many years, it's flawless, no issues at all, would 100% recommend it.

I have no experience of these suppliers, but I found them when looking for options at one time All UK based

There is also Glass (not UK based), which is newish and seems interesting. Works a bit like Flikr, but albums are private to members unless made public.

I have no experience of these suppliers, but I found them when looking for options at one time All UK based

There is also Glass (not UK based), which is newish and seems interesting. Works a bit like Flikr, but albums are private to members unless made public.

Noooooo, not TIF! Their interface is absolutely hideous - by mid-90s standards - plus the front end was horrible. Thank you for the others, though, I’ll check them out!

Back