Edit My Images
No

Sparrowhawk on the fence
by Mark Johnson, on Flickr

Sparrowhawk on the fence

Sparrowhawk on the fence

Right place at the right time. Taken through the kitchen window, which I luckily cleaned yesterday. Wife thought it was a Penguin!. It carried out two attacks, neither successful.. The last attack he chased what looked like a goldfinch, who managed to keep two yards in front of him all of the time. I cooked him bacon and eggs for his breakfast instead...…………:)

but my money is on she's a female..??
And mine, the female wears the trousers, ie the leg feathers ( the proper name escapes me at the moment) are longer
on a female, the males legs are almost bald and not much thicker than matchsticks.
Well caught what ever (s)he is (y)

Thanks Both. Must admit I assumed the size was the factor. I stand corrected. He/she was very small, not much bigger than a Jackdawe...……….:)

I assumed the size was the factor.
Indeed it is also, but its also difficult to tell size accurately from an image, hence the "other" descriptions.
Jack door size is definitely a female.
Large blackbird / small dove is about the size of a male.
I think this is the male.
It certainly looks like an older bird the orange eyes suggest that, as does the russet throat.
Had it been a male the back would slate grey
and again look at the legs. Its another female The image in the link is click-able..

https://www.inaturalist.org/guide_taxa/11219

Thanks Cobra. I thought that sexing these birds was relatively easy...……..But have never really seen them up close before.

Yes the size certainly of the second bird was quite large, so that points to being female.

I shall just call them Sparrowhawks in the future. But a real privilege to be so close, and to be able to photo them...…..:)

Happy bunny...………..

Thanks Cobra. I thought that sexing these birds was relatively easy...……..But have never really seen them up close before.
No problem Mark :)
I guess I have the advantage, in as much as thats one of the many Birds of Prey that I've flown ;)

I shall just call them Sparrowhawks in the future.
Females are "Spars" Males are Muskets ( just to confuse matters even further :D )

But yes Sparrowhawk covers it (y)

Stunning shots, really captured the detail, Beautiful shots of a beautiful bird.

Back