Z. J. Spider

Regardless of focus I think it’s an interesting shot.

I'd say it works Gav (y)

Excellent :)

I think it works well compositionally Gav, particularly with the sweep of the background leaf and the way the light catches it. Nice contrast with the dark background too. Presumably shot with flash?

Well done for spotting it and getting a decent image of it :) I really struggle with stuff this small personally so tend not to bother trying!

I think it works well compositionally Gav, particularly with the sweep of the background leaf and the way the light catches it. Nice contrast with the dark background too. Presumably shot with flash?

Well done for spotting it and getting a decent image of it :) I really struggle with stuff this small personally so tend not to bother trying!
Thanks Si, we have a few of the jumpers on the back of the house and side fence, they sometimes go on the flowers by the fence, I love watching them after work but don't take many shots as they tend to stick to the brickwork, I saw this one and ran for the camera ;)

Your right, twin head flash unit on front of the 100mm 2:1 macro lens

Works for me, bud. Nice capture.

Thanks Si, we have a few of the jumpers on the back of the house and side fence, they sometimes go on the flowers by the fence, I love watching them after work but don't take many shots as they tend to stick to the brickwork, I saw this one and ran for the camera ;)

Your right, twin head flash unit on front of the 100mm 2:1 macro lens

I've seen the odd one at home but they always seem to jump before I get the chance! Nice, presumably a Laowa if it's a 2:1? Rather off topic, but if so how do you find it?

I've seen the odd one at home but they always seem to jump before I get the chance! Nice, presumably a Laowa if it's a 2:1? Rather off topic, but if so how do you find it?
Hi Si, No worries, Yes it's the Laowa 100mm 2x Ultra macro, The lens is very nice, Images are very sharp (the ones I get right;)), 1:1 gives good working distance, 2:1 does get tight and makes skittish insects difficult, but I'm using it for the jumping spiders which are around 6mm at the minute, larger spiders/insects not so bad as 1.5:1 gives a nice balance of reach and detail, I use Godox Twin macro flash heads and they stick out the front enough to rest on surfaces at 2:1 so that aids the stability, I was using a Sigma 105mm, the extra magnification is handy. I shot Canon and this lens reads aperture info from the camera but I think all others are manual Aperture only, like the 15mm ultrawide.
Overall I'm very happy with it, appears very well built, metal body, came with a filter attached and I've left it on as the lens move within the body and exposes the internals.
Feel fee to ask anything, happy to help if I can :)

Hi Si, No worries, Yes it's the Laowa 100mm 2x Ultra macro, The lens is very nice, Images are very sharp (the ones I get right;)), 1:1 gives good working distance, 2:1 does get tight and makes skittish insects difficult, but I'm using it for the jumping spiders which are around 6mm at the minute, larger spiders/insects not so bad as 1.5:1 gives a nice balance of reach and detail, I use Godox Twin macro flash heads and they stick out the front enough to rest on surfaces at 2:1 so that aids the stability, I was using a Sigma 105mm, the extra magnification is handy. I shot Canon and this lens reads aperture info from the camera but I think all others are manual Aperture only, like the 15mm ultrawide.
Overall I'm very happy with it, appears very well built, metal body, came with a filter attached and I've left it on as the lens move within the body and exposes the internals.
Feel fee to ask anything, happy to help if I can :)

Thanks for the info Gav - I generally use a 105mm macro with or without a 1.4x TC which gets me reasonable levels of magnification near MFD, sometimes with a twin flash. I've thought about one of the Laowa 100mm macro lenses a few times and never got around to trying one as yet so good to get your impressions of it :)

Back