Beginner Zoom calculation

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi just used a fov calculator and it says I would get something at 50 MTRS with a 600 mm lens on my d750 with the same fov on a Sony rx10 at 136mtrs or am I missing something,does that mean that for the same lens on my d750 I would get nearly 3x more zoom thanks

Hi just used a fov calculator and it says I would get something at 50 MTRS with a 600 mm lens on my d750 with the same fov on a Sony rx10 at 136mtrs or am I missing something,does that mean that for the same lens on my d750 I would get nearly 3x more zoom thanks

I thought FoV was measured in degrees.

The Sony RX10 has a much smaller sensor than the Nikon D750. So yes, looking at a subject with the same lens will “look bigger” on the smaller sensor.

The crop factor of the RX10 is 2.7x, so you get 2.7x times less FOV. But this isn't quite the same thing as optical zoom.

On one hand, the cameras have nearly the same resolution, which means the Sony will have more pixels on subject, much like optical zoom would. But it is highly unlikely that the lens/situation/technique will actually resolve to that level (2.4um); whereas it is much more likely that a longer FL lens could resolve to the level of the D750 sensor's resolution (6um) in more situations (or closer to).

Last edited:
This is why manufacturers often describe their lens magnifications in terms of 35mm full frame equivalents.

From pictures of the RX10, that is the way Sony have gone, so just read off the number on the top of your lens, When the Sony's zoom is set at "600" you'll have a field of view which is much the same as that of a 600mm lens on a full frame camera, such as the D750.

Mind you the D750 with a 600mm lens will be a great deal bigger and heavier! :naughty:

Back