A BIT DISAPPOINTED WITH WEX

Name
Duncan
Edit My Images
No
I ordered a 9- Nikon 85mm f/1.4 AF-D lens from Wex a couple of days ago. When it arrived this morning it was nothing like a 9- lens. Full of dust, didn't come with the advertised hood or Nikon box and with major signs of use on the barrel.

Spoke to CS who couldn't explain what happened. Spoke to the Putney branch who dispatched the lens and no help. Customer services were helpful and reserved another lens which was described as "mint" to replace the one being sent back.

They gave me the number to the Edinburgh branch, who had the second lens. I called them and they temporarily unreserved the replacement lens so I could look at their pics and description. Part of the description read:

"The Sensor is clean and free of dust, marks and scratches."

The customer rep then forgot to reserve the lens again, so anyone could have purchased It for several hours. After 2 hours of my time the new lens will be posted ti me on receipt of the first one.

Not terribly impressed.

Well I guess if nothing less, at least you can send it back under distance selling regulations as item not as described, but like you say a lot of wasted time, which is always a pain in the arse to say the least, which is always a bear bug of mine, probably because in my case I'm getting old, lol.

This is the trouble with any business that takes over other companies with lower standards , but to be fair I have never as yet ever had a problem with Wex

I have just bought a Tamron 35mm 1.4 lens from WEX , it was described as condition 9 but honestly was like new with all packaging as well

One good thing about WEX is that they do 45 day no quibble refund period.
I have returned a couple of items under this time with them
Well I guess if nothing less, at least you can send it back under distance selling regulations as item not as described, but like you say a lot of wasted time, which is always a pain in the arse to say the least, which is always a bear bug of mine, probably because in my case I'm getting old, lo

Reactions: TG.
Monday update. I agreed to drive from East Cowes to Newport, drop the lens with IOW Distribution (who handle DPD packages), in order to get the lens back to WEX by Monday. They promised that in return they would release the reserved replacement lens for shipment on Monday, delivery Tuesday. At 1400 today I got a delivery notice from DPD and immediately called to the WEX Online department in Norwich to make sure the lens reserved in the Edinburgh store would be shipped today.

"Absolutely!" I was told. They'd get straight onto it and the replacement lens would be with me on Tuesday.

16.30 arrived and no DPD notification had arrived so I called the Edinburgh office. A very helpful young man in the shape of "Stuart" answered the phone. He checked with his two colleagues and no-one had heard anything about shipping today, though they did have the lens reserved. Unfortunately, DPD had already collected so the earliest they could now ship was tomorrow for delivery Wednesday.

I called again to the Online Department in Norwich and this time spoke to the manager. He apologised and issued me with a £50 discount as compensation.

I'm grateful for that but I didn't want compensation. I simply wanted the lens which I ordered and if there's been a mistake then remedy as promised. Neither of those were forthcoming and I will struggle to motivate myself to order from WEX (used) again. Still disappointed but now I'm not a bit disappointed. I'm very disappointed.

This is the trouble with any business that takes over other companies with lower standards , but to be fair I have never as yet ever had a problem with Wex

I had endless problems with a Nikon D6 body I bought a few months ago from Wex; they had no idea what was wrong with it, gave me details of an independent camera repairs shop who immediately diagnosed it with a faulty mirror.

I’d paid extra to buy it from Wex, so I’m really disappointed and discouraged by my experience from then, however I’ve been told plenty of times since then that I’m deluded, Wex (and MPB) is perfect etc etc.

I had endless problems with a Nikon D6 body I bought a few months ago from Wex; they had no idea what was wrong with it, gave me details of an independent camera repairs shop who immediately diagnosed it with a faulty mirror.

I’d paid extra to buy it from Wex, so I’m really disappointed and discouraged by my experience from then, however I’ve been told plenty of times since then that I’m deluded, Wex (and MPB) is perfect etc etc.
no shop/vendor/brand is perfect.
It is possible that some people may have had better experience than others depending who was dealing with your case/issue on that day.

The only place I had consistently good support was from LCE. But even then I am sure one could find bad reviews if they looked.

So basically its the question of how likely you are to come across bad service versus if someone is perfect.

MPB have been annoyingly slow at times to resolve issues with me needing to follow up at times but they have always eventually got me sorted out. So as far as I can tell if you do not have a lot of patience then better not deal with them, otherwise they do eventually come through.

Wex were great, and still are if you are dealing with the "mothership" i.e. their main/first branch in Norwich.
I have found their service and customer care to be less good at other sites.

Last edited:

Did they then pay for the work under thier warrenty ?

They have been pretty decent when I have used them. I ordered a Sony flash from Clifton the other day. Unfortunately the mis-advertised it as being a MK2 model when it was the original. Not great on that side but they apologised and arranged collection the next day so they made good their error which is all they can do after it is made

Did they then pay for the work under thier warrenty ?
Ha! No way. [Extra details about hassling with them deleted]. I needed my camera repaired and returned to me within two or three weeks for a job, and the Wex staff waffled and said that it could take their repair people weeks to diagnose and fix it, that it could take them a long time etc etc, and that if I wanted it to be repaired sooner, I’d have to take it elsewhere.

Back