A couple of experiments.

Name
Nick
Edit My Images
Yes
Recently I have been playing around with that marmite software Photomatix and as this new section has been opened up I thought I would share a couple of my experiments :)

Instead of bracketing I tend to just open my images in the software and play around until I get something I am happy with. This first one is a shot from Paris when we were there this Spring. I actually had an effect in mind for this one before I started. I wanted it to be in the style of some of the postcards I had seen in Monmatre the day before. The only thing I am not pleased with is the patch of noisy blue sky:

reading
by rednorters, on Flickr

The next one is of the staircase inside the Port of Liverpool building on the Pier Head in town. Again a single raw ran through the Photomatix software using a black and white preset to start with then tweaking it until I was happy with the light:

staircase
by rednorters, on Flickr

C&C/comments welcome.

Thanks for looking (y)

I actually like the first one, would be better if the lampost was fully in shot and not leaning though!

I agree, but think the OP was going down the lines of HDR is being creative(y)

Well there are a few HDR thrads in this sub section already :D Although I don't think these can can be called HDR as no bracketing was involved!

Thanks for looking though :)

Well there are a few HDR thrads in this sub section already :D Although I don't think these can can be called HDR as no bracketing was involved!

Thanks for looking though :)

Yeah think we can see the first was made from one file, I did a quick edit, for me the shot is about the guy reading and the lamp, so all the other trees/people and other distraction are chaff, BG is also distracting, you should have moved in closer for me, the red colour on the corner is also drawing my eye away, as is the lady entering frame, quick edit toned it down so its not quite as hot, and crop to get rid of the acrid greens that HDR has created

6278132140_f61a7e4302_b.jpg

If you want me to remove it PM me (y)

Dave

Last edited:
No problems with the edit, I like what you have done :) I was thinking along the lines of a similar crop but I always worry about aspect ratio and wanted to avoid making it look like a letterbox! Something which you have avoided :D

Hi Nick
I like it, though I think the lampost (like the colour of it) is competing with the focus (guy).
Think I'd crop to guy's shadow and clone out the bit of lamp post you'd have to leave to get the shadow (and maybe clone in the head part that's clipped).
My crop would have the woman in bg and the tree trunks with a fraction of the tree canopy showing.

Sorry to say I find the lamp posts a little too much of a distraction for that reason I've given it a quick edit, not perfect but then I was not working with the full size image :D

norters edit by mwhcvt, on Flickr

Let me know if you want it taking down (y)

Matt
MWHCVT

Back