Anyone need some camera gear ?

Name
Allen
Edit My Images
Yes

Supposedly "dads collection" but looks a lot like a shop imho, very dodgy looking

There is a better chance of seeing a squadron of pigs flying over Yorkshire than of my logging on or signing up to Facebook
Oh come on Chris, think of what you are missing?
Share what you had for breakfast, what you had for dinner. Post pictures of your cat, post pictures of your breakfast and dinner!

Share what you had for breakfast, what you had for dinner. Post pictures of your cat, post pictures of your breakfast and dinner!
Don't forget you can also share pictures of your children with the world, while also being outraged that someone else took a photo that might have had you child in it :headbang:

You are quite correct; you have identified the problem that is afflicting my life.
I must as a matter of urgency seek medical and psychiatric help for my pathological aversion to all forms of social media and in particular to contributing to the already swollen coffers of Musk, Zuckerberg et al.

I think Facebook is great , Just use it at a level I am happy with , Simple
It's just that for some it is an avenue of sometimes quite dire harm, which could be better policed if the profit motive of its perpetrators could be quelled a bit.

I think Facebook is great , Just use it at a level I am happy with , Simple
Agreed - I use it as a way to communicate with family and friends around the world - there's people I've not met in person for several years, but whom I've maintained contact with via FB.

With all social media, you don't have to see the s***e if you don't want to, and an adblocker works wonders.
Some people are less able to or don't want to choose, and are drawn to dark material if it is there ... the arguments are I think well known, to do with profit and harm.

Some people are less able to or don't want to choose, and are drawn to dark material if it is there ... the arguments are I think well known, to do with profit and harm.
I'm not arguing against that. Just saying that social media isn't (aren't?) all bad.

I'm not arguing against that. Just saying that social media isn't (aren't?) all bad.
Totally agree ...the people that complain about the garbage on facebook clearly don't have a grasp on how it works .....if you follow garbage that's what you'll get ....when I log into my Facebook all I see is what I want to see .

Totally agree ...the people that complain about the garbage on facebook clearly don't have a grasp on how it works .....if you follow garbage that's what you'll get ....when I log into my Facebook all I see is what I want to see .
You must have a better adblocker than most. All I see is paid for disinformation from Who, all the green loonies and rainbows, and so on. Photography groups typically serve up the same Photoshop sky all over again and again :headbang: . It is a great place... for Suckerberg.

I've said it before and I'll say it again...

WiOMq.jpg

FB is like everything. It's what you make it. Personally all I see are scooters, Jacobites, and country lanes, on a typical visit. I haven't come across anything particularly harmful. Frippery, yes, but not harmful.

I Like faceplant.
It gives me 8 new friends a day and I don't even have an account.
Never knew I was so popular.:runaway:

You must have a better adblocker than most. All I see is paid for disinformation from Who, all the green loonies and rainbows, and so on. Photography groups typically serve up the same Photoshop sky all over again and again :headbang: . It is a great place... for Suckerberg.
Social media is designed by it's very nature to keep you hooked ...to stop you leaving the platform ...it does this by dishing up stuff that's relevant for you . There's usually a reason based on your online activity that you see what you see . If anything ever came up that was of no interest to me then I clicked to not see it anymore . The bots learn quickly and adjust accordingly.

FB is like everything. It's what you make it. Personally all I see are scooters, Jacobites, and country lanes, on a typical visit. I haven't come across anything particularly harmful. Frippery, yes, but not harmful.
Yip same here . But it's photography , motorbikes and mountain bikes . The second someone posts something nonsense I just unfollow them ......simples

For PC's & Mac's, Facebook Purity is excellent, shame it doesn't work on IOS.......

That's something of an 'I'm alright, Jack' position. There are in fact people who seek out 'garbage' to reinforce their delusions, and the fact remains that FB contains much material that will exploit the vulnerable - ie its policing model is under-resourced and ineffective.

In this light, I rank FB alongside the big tobacco companies and others who profit hugely from harm. As a simple user you contribute to their model without having any influence whatsoever over their policies. Yuckerberg indeed.

That's something of an 'I'm alright, Jack' position. There are in fact people who seek out 'garbage' to reinforce their delusions, and the fact remains that FB contains much material that will exploit the vulnerable - ie its policing model is under-resourced and ineffective.

Well, of course it is. How can it be anything else? I would hazard a guess that you don't frequent FB personally. What constitutes harm is very difficult to quantify isn't it? The algorithm certainly hasn't pushed anything overtly harmful my way. Unless you consider the views of some of my mates a bit dubious... Well, actually I might agree with that. :p It's not an exact science, after all.

I rank FB alongside the big tobacco companies and others who profit hugely from harm.
I think you have a good point there.

Facebook and similar sites can and do cause immense harm, by helping the insane to recruit fools to their brand of insanity.

Well, of course it is. How can it be anything else? I would hazard a guess that you don't frequent FB personally. What constitutes harm is very difficult to quantify isn't it? The algorithm certainly hasn't pushed anything overtly harmful my way. Unless you consider the views of some of my mates a bit dubious... Well, actually I might agree with that. :p It's not an exact science, after all.
In saying that, you're restricting yourself to a first person perspective. But I'm not referring to you, I'm taking a more global view ...

Facebook and similar sites can and do cause immense harm, by helping the insane to recruit fools to their brand of insanity.

You are being very specific there. You think the issue is political extremism, if I understand correctly.

In saying that, you're restricting yourself to a first person perspective. But I'm not referring to you, I'm taking a more global view ...

Obviously you are. And that's how urban myths begin.

Last edited:

They can also be used for good - keeping people in contact that would otherwise be separated by distance and time zones.

I would agree that such platforms should do more to ensure that vulnerable people are shielded from extreme views, but it is a difficult thing to enforce in a fair and global fashion - things that can be said and done in one country may be banned in another - how should they decide which are acceptable?

They can also be used for good - keeping people in contact that would otherwise be separated by distance and time zones.
I would agree that such platforms should do more to ensure that vulnerable people are shielded from extreme views, but it is a difficult thing to enforce in a fair and global fashion - things that can be said and done in one country may be banned in another - how should they decide which are acceptable?
Indeed it's a fluid line and a complex one. But that's little excuse for not addressing it as fully as possible.

You are being very specific there. You think the issue is political extremism, if I understand correctly.
No. I am being very general.

Political extremism is just one of the harms that such sites perpetuate.
I agree.

The problem is not in the intention but in the execution. More moderation, in both senses of the word, is called for on these platforms, which we have seen is in direct conflict with their business models.

Indeed it's a fluid line and a complex one. But that's little excuse for not addressing it as fully as possible.
I'd agree - the issue is deciding what constitutes "as fully as possible" - FB argue that they are already doing their 'best', while the general consensus appears to be that more should be done.
In the wake of the recent trial following the murder of Brianna Grey, her mum is calling for under 16's to be banned from social media entirely - given how readily under 13's have accounts (most platforms require users to be 13, I believe), I'm not sure how well that is likely to work - and personally think it's an over-reaction, as the majority of 13-15 year olds are able to use such platforms without serious issues - but it's clear that something needs to be done as there are still far to many cases where online abuse occurs (both of children and adults).

The question is how do you moderate the posts on these platforms while maintaining privacy, and avoiding false flagging of posts (imaging a group of friends discussing a horror film, or a murder mystery - easy to get posts that out of context sound very alarming!)?

Political extremism is just one of the harms that such sites perpetuate.

You're also wrong. I honestly don't know where you get this from. Because, I'm not seeing this dark underbelly of FB that you're talking about. I don't imagine it's from experience on your part. I logged on recently and among the first few pages I came across were The Radio Times, Old School Lambrettas and Rural Historia. Hardly subversive.

The question is how do you moderate the posts on these platforms while maintaining privacy, and avoiding false flagging of posts (imaging a group of friends discussing a horror film, or a murder mystery - easy to get posts that out of context sound very alarming!)?
AI should be up to that job, if it's all that it's being touted to be. It just has to be trained. Firms like Meta are in the AI biz already - they just need to throw some of their huge resources at the issue.

In the capitalist world there'll always be balances to be struck between profit and ethics. And between addressing the public good self-motivatedly and being made to do so by government.

I'm not seeing this dark underbelly of FB that you're talking about. I don't imagine it's from experience on your part. I logged on recently and among the first few pages I came across were The Radio Times, Old School Lambrettas and Rural Historia. Hardly subversive.
You don't see the dark underbelly because you haven't looked for it (& neither have I!). But I read the news, and it's flagged as a recurrent issue. Hopefully if you or I came across challenging material, we'd be robust enough not to be swayed by it. But others may not just find misinformation credible, but be susceptible to unhealthy stuff and vulnerable. Is it not a function of society to protect its weaker (in whatever fashion) members, & regulate anti-social behaviour?

Last edited:
Like everything in life, the truith probably lies somewhere in the middle of everybodies opinions here....

I was quite an early adopter to facebook... back in them days you needed a university email to sign up i seem to remember and it was purely for organising social events and keeping in touch with class mates.... -> no ads, no pushed content, no cookies....

Obviously its become more popular its become more commercial over the years and its reach has widened and with that of course has come the hateful and horrible stuff that probably is on there.... BUT thats the case in life isn't it. The broader the reach gets the more of societies margins try to exploit it...

If it wasn't facebook it would be news papers and if it wasnt news papers it would be internet chat rooms and if it wasn't chat rooms it would be Twitter or whatever they call it now, and if it wasn't that its youtube.... Personally I find it narrow minded that people are so closed minded not to see the wider context on both sides of the debate.

C'est la vie as they say - thats life....

Like everything in life, the truith probably lies somewhere in the middle of everybodies opinions here....

I was quite an early adopter to facebook... back in them days you needed a university email to sign up i seem to remember and it was purely for organising social events and keeping in touch with class mates.... -> no ads, no pushed content, no cookies....

Obviously its become more popular its become more commercial over the years and its reach has widened and with that of course has come the hateful and horrible stuff that probably is on there.... BUT thats the case in life isn't it. The broader the reach gets the more of societies margins try to exploit it...

If it wasn't facebook it would be news papers and if it wasnt news papers it would be internet chat rooms and if it wasn't chat rooms it would be Twitter or whatever they call it now, and if it wasn't that its youtube.... Personally I find it narrow minded that people are so closed minded not to see the wider context on both sides of the debate.

C'est la vie as they say - thats life....
This ....I think what they are saying is there are easily swayed people who search out bad stuff on Facebook and once they find that stuff they are swayed by it the sort of people by the sounds of it that shouldn't be near any social media , any form of the Internet and definitely not the news !! Meanwhile the rest of us are having a very positive experience on social media .

AI should be up to that job, if it's all that it's being touted to be. It just has to be trained. Firms like Meta are in the AI biz already - they just need to throw some of their huge resources at the issue.

In the capitalist world there'll always be balances to be struck between profit and ethics. And between addressing the public good self-motivatedly and being made to do so by government.
A lot of "AI" is just marketing, but yes, some of that computing power could be used to filter the posts, preferably as a way of reducing the scale of the issue to something that a team of suitably trained people could make final judgements on.
I'd also be highly dubious of any set of rules the government came up with to determine if a post is OK or not.

Back