South-East England Beachy Head Lighthouse (One on the beach)

Name
Lee
Edit My Images
Yes
Can anyone tell me the best way to get to this lighthouse?

Do you have to park at the Birling Gap car park and walk along?

There's another car park on the coast road heading towards Eastbourne from Birling Gap. You'll see it on the right just pass Belle Tout lighthouse. Yet more car parking on the coast road just North of Beachy Head lighthouse and East towards Eastbourne. Personally I like the walk from Birling Gap.

Google is your friend! Car parking is shown on the satellite view in Google maps.

If you're thinking of walking along the beach, then Birling Gap is probably best, BUT it's essential you check tide tables and be aware that the chalk cliffs are dangerous, especially after rain and/or storms with a tendency to drop large bits on you.

Alternative possibility is a boat trip out from Eastbourne for a different perspective.

Last edited:
John

Thanks for the info, I was there this morning and wasn't sure how to get on the beach as I couldn't easily see a way down. I parked at 2 different car parks near the Belle Tout Lighthouse and had a brief look but nothing was obvious, I also saw the boat by the lighthouse :)

Looks like I need to go back and do some more exploring!

I suppose I should have made it clearer, sorry! If you want to get to the lighthouse along the beach, then it's either from Birling Gap (stairs down to the beach at the end of the carpark), or a longer walk from Eastbourne - parking and beach access from the Holywell area - Dukes Drive/King Edward's Parade.

Birling Gap is the way down to the beach.
I think it would be very easy to get cut off by the rising tide, so take care..

Back