Tutorial Canon WFT-E4II Bluetooth GPS Guide (Other Wireless File Transmitters are similar)

Name
Chris
Edit My Images
Yes
cymruchris submitted a new resource:

Canon WFT-E4II Bluetooth GPS Guide (Other Wireless File Transmitters are similar) - Canon WFT-E4II Bluetooth GPS Guide (Other Wireless File Transmitters are similar)

Having recently gotten a Canon WFT-E4II Wireless File Transmitter for my 5dmk2, I set about working out how I could use the option to connect a GPS logger to it, fairly cost effectively.

It took a while to find out what was needed - but after hours of research I found the solution, so thought I'd share it here for others to read.

The WFT units don't contain any built in bluetooth circuitry, so step 1 is to connect a bluetooth dongle to the USB port of the WFT unit. Canon say that the only...

Read more about this resource...

Last edited by a moderator:
IMG_1772_2563_zpsa494777f.jpg

We find our Holux and connect to it:

IMG_1784_2575_zps95c0cafa.jpg

The camera confirms connection:

IMG_1786_2577_zps4434b869.jpg

The USB light should be constant - the LAN light will be flashing red or green, depending on whether your wireless transmission is set up and connected properly. You can have Bluetooth GPS AND wireless transmission - it's not an either or set up.

Your raw files will then contain GPS co-ordinates automatically. No need to synchronise, no need to add software to your PC, no need to worry about time differences between logger and camera, it's all done automatically and easily, as can be seen below in the screen shot of the RAW file data on camera.

IMG_1789_2580_zps6fa9ed12.jpg

IMG_1783_2574_zpsdbfbc8a0.jpg

In practice - I've used it once out in the field and it works very well. If you already have a Wireless File Transmitter for any EOS camera that allows a GPS bluetooth connection, I'm sure you'll be able to connect in the same (or at least similar) way to me as above.

The hardest part was trying to find good information on the net - so hopefully this guide can help someone get their GPS connection easily, and fairly cost-effectively. If you have any questions - I'll try to answer :)

Last edited:
Back