South-West England Dartmoor Discussions

Thanks Tom... I can often be found following some of the pony herds on the moor, so generally wander around with not a lot to photograph :LOL:. So recommended locations would be good.

36066727930_58871bbe88_h.jpg

Thanks for starting this thread. I sometimes find it hard to photograph the moor but hopefully we can all share ideas etc. A meet up could be good also - i'm in a fortunate position whereby i'm on 6 weeks leave as of the middle of March, so i'll be able to get out and about much more during that period.

I'll get some images posted here in due course.

Mrs Exige and myself have a lot of love for Dartmoor. It's been a while since we headed over there. Must rectify that soon.

Here are a couple of my favourite places from there. Venford Falls and Brentor Church. Please excuse the fairly shady photography and editing. I'd only been using a camera for a few months when these were taken...

Double Falls by MesTCS, on Flickr

Brentor Church by MesTCS, on Flickr

Mrs Exige and myself have a lot of love for Dartmoor. It's been a while since we headed over there. Must rectify that soon.

Here are a couple of my favourite places from there. Venford Falls and Brentor Church. Please excuse the fairly shady photography and editing. I'd only been using a camera for a few months when these were taken...

Double Falls by MesTCS, on Flickr

Brentor Church by MesTCS, on Flickr

Nice shots.

St Raphaels is just starting with the snowdrops when I passed yesterday.
How about a list of potential meet ups?

Snow Drops at St Raphaels
Lent Lilys at Steps Bridge
Holwell and Emsworthy Blue bells
Cuckoos at Emsworthy
Overnight for the Milky Way, although finding somewhere really dark has so far elluded me, thinking of trying up at Fernworthy.

@Solo man thank you mate, and likewise.

I always really enjoy the open un-spoilt spaces there are in Dartmoor. And I really love how one of the "spoiled" places, Foggintor, is being reclaimed by nature in such a wonderful fashion.

Here's a few of mine from the moor

DSCF5459.jpg

DSCF5328.jpg

DSCF5312.jpg

Top Tor.jpg

Overnight for the Milky Way, although finding somewhere really dark has so far elluded me, thinking of trying up at Fernworthy.
Definitely on my list to try astro photography, was there in November just after sunset and the bike was playing up, thought I was going to be stranded there, cold, wet, lonely and very dark!

Loving all the image and location sharing. Wanted to visit the church at Brentor for a while now. Never heard of Foggin Quarry but it's certainly on my list of places to visit now! Here are some of my Dartmoor faves:

Overlooking the Dart near Venford:
Meandering Tree by Tom Pinches, on Flickr

The a tributary of the Yealm at Dendles Wood:
Dendles Wood by Tom Pinches, on Flickr

A posing pony near Venford (Kentmere 100):
Dartmoor pony 1 - Kentmere 100 by Tom Pinches, on Flickr

Ausewell Wood:
Foggy Ausewell Woods 1 by Tom Pinches, on Flickr

Loving all the image and location sharing. Wanted to visit the church at Brentor for a while now. Never heard of Foggin Quarry but it's certainly on my list of places to visit now! Here are some of my Dartmoor faves:

Ausewell Wood:
Nice set Tom...I like the first one...

Ausewell Wood:

Some good ones there Tom, one's I'm not yet familiar with.

Ausewell Wood:

Great photos Tom, love the perspective on the first one. I can't recommend Brentor Church enough, it's a wonderful place. Depending on what time you're there, it's often open too. Foggintor Quarry is incredible. It was decommissioned in 1938 and nature has been reclaiming it ever since. Granite from there was used to build Nelson's Column and London Bridge amongst other things.

Have you been out to Blackchurch Rock too? Not really Dartmoor but close enough to be well worth a visit if you're in the area.

Foggintor Quarry is a great place to visit and photograph but there's a lot nearby too. Walk the track of the old railway round Kings Tor and Swell Tor and there are lots of ruins from the quarrying activities in the area and also a pile of corbels for London Bridge (the one that's now in the US). They're spares from ones made when the roadway over the bridge was widened. Some were used when the bridge was moved to the US. They're not easy to photograph but a mono conversion works well.
I was out on the moor yesterday around the Buckland Beacon area, a change from my original plan of the north moor when I saw the wind forecast. I thought if I did the Yes Tor - High Willies ridge I'd be doing it on my hands and knees. As it was, the wind was supposed to ease later but it didn't. I staggered the whole route constantly being almost blown over. I did end up on my knees once from a little normally recoverable slip. I do have photos. I'll post later when I've had chance to process them if they're any good. I suspect most of them are suffering wind induced camera shake. The IS on my walkabout lens is good, but not that good!
Here's one of the corbels

full

Great photos Tom, love the perspective on the first one. I can't recommend Brentor Church enough, it's a wonderful place. Depending on what time you're there, it's often open too. Foggintor Quarry is incredible. It was decommissioned in 1938 and nature has been reclaiming it ever since. Granite from there was used to build Nelson's Column and London Bridge amongst other things.

Have you been out to Blackchurch Rock too? Not really Dartmoor but close enough to be well worth a visit if you're in the area.

Thanks! Blackchurch rock is also on my list but never managed to get up there. It’s just a bit too far to go on a whim... I’d like to go up there and camp on the coast and get in a dusk and a dawn shoot.

I can't recommend Brentor Church enough, it's a wonderful place.
Thanks for that, never knew it existed, had to goggle it, defo a trip out with the dog in next few days.

Thanks! Blackchurch rock is also on my list but never managed to get up there. It’s just a bit too far to go on a whim... I’d like to go up there and camp on the coast and get in a dusk and a dawn shoot.

Don't miss it Tom, it's a magic location. It's a bit of a mission to get down there but nothing too difficult. And walking around once you're there is a pain because it's all big boulders.

Also, check the tide times. You want to be arriving as the tide is on the way out so all the pools in front of the rock are full. High tide can mean there is too much water for the best angle.

Oh and if you time it right you can get the sun in one of the "windows".

(y)

Thanks for that, never knew it existed, had to goggle it, defo a trip out with the dog in next few days.

Hope you enjoy it. We spent a few hours there last time just sitting down and taking it all in. Had a carton of very nice local cider from just up the road. Was all most pleasant!

There's a really cool and quite photogenic windswept tree up there too.

:)

Don't miss it Tom, it's a magic location. It's a bit of a mission to get down there but nothing too difficult. And walking around once you're there is a pain because it's all big boulders.

Also, check the tide times. You want to be arriving as the tide is on the way out so all the pools in front of the rock are full. High tide can mean there is too much water for the best angle.

Oh and if you time it right you can get the sun in one of the "windows".

(y)

Can I ask how much of a mission, im disabled, can walk a good distance but it takes me a long time and I particularly struggle with uneven ground, paths and steps I am ok with.

Her's a couple from a foggy Foggintor ...

DSCF5301.jpg

DSCF5296.jpg

Can I ask how much of a mission, im disabled, can walk a good distance but it takes me a long time and I particularly struggle with uneven ground, paths and steps I am ok with.

Roger, sorry to hear that mate. I have to be honest, it's VERY tricky underfoot. You could get down to the "beach" which is a fairly easy and level descent but from there the rock is out of view around the corner. The beach itself is not level anywhere. It's all big stones and upwards. Think an entirely pebbled beach but with much bigger stones.

Given what you have said, unfortunately my advice would definitely be to not bother with it.

Very tempted to visit Blackchurch Rock on my next visit. Any recommendations for locations with waves breaking over rocks in the same area? Not Dartmoor but nearby.

Both lovely images. I might investigate tomorrow in the daytime with the sprog and maybe head there early on Saturday morning. Sunday’s looks AWEFUL.

Thanks Tom, it's an easy walk from the old disused cafe by the Yellowmeade Farm track. That small waterfall is just adjacent to the house of the farm as you walk along the track. It can be a bit of a scramble to get around the pool in the middle of the quarry.

Roger, sorry to hear that mate. I have to be honest, it's VERY tricky underfoot. You could get down to the "beach" which is a fairly easy and level descent but from there the rock is out of view around the corner. The beach itself is not level anywhere. It's all big stones and upwards. Think an entirely pebbled beach but with much bigger stones.

Given what you have said, unfortunately my advice would definitely be to not bother with it.
Sorry I did not reply sooner, I somehow missed your post. That is excellent info, think I will leave it until better weather and when my misses can come with me.

Sorry I did not reply sooner, I somehow missed your post. That is excellent info, think I will leave it until better weather and when my misses can come with me.

Absolutely no problem. There are probably a few videos on YouTube that will give you a more visual idea too.

Hope you get down there at some point. It’s quite the sight!

Back