Undecided Dorset UK

Mdh

Name
Mdh
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi guys ...

Im planning to visit Dorset in September for photography, my question is do i need to rent a car to visit different locations and is Uber service is available ( driving is kind of hard for me ) ?

Thanks ...

Id doubt Uber will operate anywhere other than the Bournemouth Area an possibly within the Portland/Weymouth town area. They dont go out to the local villages where I live and im within the M25.

Where are you planning on staying? And where are you planning on shooting?
There is a reasonable bus service that runs from Weymouth to Swanage and then Swanage to Bournemouth and from Weymouth out to Westbay/Lyme Regis but not all will run for Sunrise/sunset and it wont stop outside most of the locations.

I think where and when you want to shoot will be key

Reactions: Mdh
Pre pandemic we went to Poole while I was driving the local public transport both bus and train seemed pretty reasonable but I am not sure about getting to places like Lulworth or Bovington.

Knowing Dorset quiet well ,I would say that having a car would be essential it’s a long coastline with lots of places only accessible by car with long distances between points of interest

Id doubt Uber will operate anywhere other than the Bournemouth Area an possibly within the Portland/Weymouth town area. They dont go out to the local villages where I live and im within the M25.

Where are you planning on staying? And where are you planning on shooting?
There is a reasonable bus service that runs from Weymouth to Swanage and then Swanage to Bournemouth and from Weymouth out to Westbay/Lyme Regis but not all will run for Sunrise/sunset and it wont stop outside most of the locations.

I think where and when you want to shoot will be key
I see, is it possible to rent a taxi for example , to take me to the locations and one more thing , is there car rental offices in the area ... thanks

https://www.dorsetvehiclerentals.co.uk/ For vehicle rentals (without a driver.)

Hard to give advice about taxis without knowing exactly where you'll be based. I'd guess that most firms would take you wherever you want to go but would keep the meter running.

Just returned from 3 week stay in our motorhome/panel van. Had thought of hiring a car but managed to get by parking up the MH ( except in Lyme Regis ) - but lots of narrow lanes and places you can't get to by public transport. I thiink a small car a good idea. I did see that there is Dorset car hire in Bridport and others but know nothing about them. My favourite renter is Enterprise who have a depot in Dorchester.
Beautiful county - my wife was raised there and in Devon.
Enjoy your trip and maybe the weather will have settled down by then.

I see, is it possible to rent a taxi for example , to take me to the locations and one more thing , is there car rental offices in the area ... thanks
Where do you plan to stay?
Where do you plan to photograph?
And at what time of day?

Without any of that information the answer to your question is definitely yes or definitely no.

Being just an hour away, I would say that you need your own car to get to the better locations.

Where do you plan to stay?
Where do you plan to photograph?
And at what time of day?

Without any of that information the answer to your question is definitely yes or definitely no.
Hi
I might be staying in

Bournemouth​

Mid of September
locations for photography :

Durdle Door ,​

Portland Bill​

Old Harry Rocks​

Blandford Road, “Beech Avenue”​

Thanks

As you go west from Bournemouth there are a lot of photo opportunities. Having said this, ideally you need a car to get to the places you have mentioned. I'm sure you could hire a taxi to get you to some nice locations, getting back could be a different problem. If you want to visit the placses you have mentioned, i don't think bournemouth is the best place to stay. You need to do some more homework.

Try looking here

There are several car hire firms in bournemouth that will cost £40-50 a day plus. I think days out on above buses and trains might work out quite well as they stop near the places of interest.I say this as somebody who has lived in the area for 40 years and never been on a bus

as a ex taxi driver .and knowing the distances ,roads, and traffic in Dorset I would think using a taxi on a wait and return basis would be prohibitive , take for instance a route from bournemouth to Portland bill a wait and return is going to be to say the least exorbitant and depending on length of stay you would be better off using two taxi firms ..but actually finding one willing to pick you up from obscure spots will be the problem i.e if its from no.57 cliff street no problem but driving and looking for a chap carrying photo gear on a stretch of road is a job no one will want to take on .
for whatever reason it would be far better to simply drive or even hire a mate to drive you around in his own car for a week slip him £500-to £700 quid for the week and you will still be in pocket

Pulling teeth would be easier - You still havent said if you plan to shoot Sunrise or Sunsets which will be circa 7am and 7pm which will dictate if public transport is even an option

There are bus services that will get you to those locations but its about 3 hours from Bournemouth to Durdle Door by Bus for example and I doubt they would run for arrival for 6-7am and may struggle with connections for 7-8pm departure back to a town.

Even with a Car Durdle door is circa 1 hour from Bournemouth.

Your 2 "easiest" options will be the Bus from Bournemouth to Swanage for Old Harry Rocks. - Are you aware you can only shoot from above down on to them unless you have some sort of craft to get out to them at low tide - not recommended if you are not experienced of coastal watersports.

Second "easiest"option would be train to Weymouth and then bus out to Portland.

Staying near Swanage or Weymouth would make your life easier, but realistically a car is your most sensible option. Spend some time googling bus routes to get an idea.

Pulling teeth would be easier - You still havent said if you plan to shoot Sunrise or Sunsets which will be circa 7am and 7pm which will dictate if public transport is even an option

There are bus services that will get you to those locations but its about 3 hours from Bournemouth to Durdle Door by Bus for example and I doubt they would run for arrival for 6-7am and may struggle with connections for 7-8pm departure back to a town.

Even with a Car Durdle door is circa 1 hour from Bournemouth.

Your 2 "easiest" options will be the Bus from Bournemouth to Swanage for Old Harry Rocks. - Are you aware you can only shoot from above down on to them unless you have some sort of craft to get out to them at low tide - not recommended if you are not experienced of coastal watersports.

Second "easiest"option would be train to Weymouth and then bus out to Portland.

Staying near Swanage or Weymouth would make your life easier, but realistically a car is your most sensible option. Spend some time googling bus routes to get an idea.
Sunrise and Sunsets .. in that case i will consider renting a car since it is more flexible after all, thanks for the details

I know there is a bus service running from town to town along the A31 and A35, seen plenty of them while I have been staying Bridport. I like staying in West Dorset, further west than Dorchester - although there is plenty to see in the towns the things worth seeing are off the beaten track. There's Eggerdon hill ironfort just outside Bridport for instance for great landscapes. very long list of places for nature in the vicinity...

We're off to visit a crazy friend with her 'LandShark' (I prefer to call it Jaws with fur) - a Labradoodle just outside Corfe Castle. For us it is Martin Down just outside Blandford on the way but TBC on the way back...

Make sure to check the likes of Durdle Door and the car park opening times plus that it is approx 900 metres walk from the CP to the Door.

Whatever you do have a great trip and enjoy yourself.

Back