Driftwood

Name
Esen
Edit My Images
Yes
First time posting in this section. I really like some honest opinion on this shot.
It was taken 2 weeks ago at Berrow Beach in Somerset.

Click for large. Thanks for comments.

ISO 100, F11, 5s, 12mm, 3stop soft & hard GND.

Opinions I can give and I like it. Some great tones only thing is i think the driftwood could do with being a little off centre. A stunning image all the same. :clap:

Really like the colours, the only thing I can suggest would have been to put the rock bottom left 3rd and then you have a focal point at the front and be able to get in more of that gorgeous sunset in the top right...

Thanks for the comments.

When I was composing, I tried to include all of the water trails because I thought it looked very interesting and detailed. I mostly forgot about the placement of the driftwood :D

This was also the reason why I tried to include minimum amount of sky; to capture as much detail as possible on the water trails. Also problem with the sky was that the clouds ended right after the top border of this shot, so it lost the interest a bit. Here is a similar shot with more of the sky

Unfortunately driftwood is dead centre in this shot again. But sky becomes clear right above the sunset.

Thirds is not a rule its just there because 80% of the time it works the other 20% just ignore it and stick things where you like them stuck

Terrific image and colours. I'd try cropping the bottom so that the horizon is on thirds, and the left to remove some of the blander sky.

Looks fantastic, the colours are brilliant, the shot is really sharp, especially for 5s shutter speed, the lines in the sand are really interesting too.
Excellent shot.

To be honest, I was a bit hesitant about a crop at first as I didn't want to lose the water trails/marks on the sand.

But, with the driftwood un-centered, it looks better now I think, and I was able to preserve most of the water trails/marks

That crop is just the ticket, looks great...

The cropped version ticks all the boxes for me, There in interest in the sky, the driftwood is offset and the water (and trails) draw your eye in and up to the sunset.

For me the crop is one I'd happily hang on my wall (y)

The cropped version ticks all the boxes for me, There in interest in the sky, the driftwood is offset and the water (and trails) draw your eye in and up to the sunset.

For me the crop is one I'd happily hang on my wall (y)

cheers mate (y) Might go there again this weekend if the weather is decent enough :)

thanks once again everyone!

Back