Few more tries..

Gav.

Challenge Owner
Name
Gav
Edit My Images
Yes
Very nice set of portrait style captures Gav, with #2 being clearly my fav'.

I like the second one too. The framing is really carefully done, the expression is lovely, and the tilt of the head is icing on the cake.

I'm not sure about the catchlights... They really stand out on the B&W shot, so I went and looked at the others, and now I can't unsee them for some reason.

Very nice set of portrait style captures Gav, with #2 being clearly my fav'.
Thank you, George.

I like the second one too. The framing is really carefully done, the expression is lovely, and the tilt of the head is icing on the cake.
Thank you, Ian.
I'm not sure about the catchlights... They really stand out on the B&W shot, so I went and looked at the others, and now I can't unsee them for some reason.
I've been playing with a Beauty dish, I was using a softbox for most of the others.

Last edited:
Pretty nice work. If you are looking for improvement I'd be exploring for ways to get more background separation, i.e. a little more background light power (you may get away with PS here if you make a decent enough selection) or a hair and shoulders light. Then perhaps a tiny bit of chin fill for image #1 to manage that shadow and particularly its contours. It doesn't bother me in #2 at all. #3 work on hair and expression a little bit harder.

I'm not sure it bothers me that much but you can always just fill the gaps in with a quick white brush.

Pretty nice work. If you are looking for improvement I'd be exploring for ways to get more background separation, i.e. a little more background light power (you may get away with PS here if you make a decent enough selection) or a hair and shoulders light. Then perhaps a tiny bit of chin fill for image #1 to manage that shadow and particularly its contours. It doesn't bother me in #2 at all. #3 work on hair and expression a little bit harder.
Thank you for the feedback, I do need to concentrate more on the seperation, I sometimes go blank when someone stands in front of me and then miss things, I'll get it through my thick skull soon. Notes taken. With regards to #3 it probably shouldn't have been posted, it's more of a an 'us' thing :) Thanks again.
I'm not sure it bothers me that much but you can always just fill the gaps in with a quick white brush.
I'm not fussed by the catch lights, but I do understand these ones aren't an everyday reflection in peoples eyes, so won't suit everyone :)

Last edited:
I know nothing about portraiture, but like the 2nd!

I do agree about the catchlights, though; they were what my eye was drawn to.

Back