Film Photographer of the Year 2024 - Discussion

sirch

Lu-Tze
Admin
Name
The other Chris
Edit My Images
Yes
Don't be put off by the title, it's a friendly, fun competition to get us all out shooting on film. There is no need to sign up or commit to anything, that said it would be nice to say "hi" if you are thinking of having a go and chat about any thoughts or concerns in this thread. You can enter on any individual month or every month and there is a winner chosen by public vote each month and a running total for the over-all winner.

>>> Rules and themes are here <<<

Shooting starts in December to allow time for using up a roll of film and getting it processed for entries in January. So stock up on film and test your camera, happy shooting :)

Good idea Chris, it does seem to have worked to both get more people voting and attract a few new toe-dipper-in's.
I will try to enter occasionally in film as well as digital, even trying the 52 again - I really need a bit of work/life balance!

I’ll join you guys this year :runaway:
Got January’s theme out of the way already

I'd say Instax is definitely film, with the probable exception of those hybrid variants that have a digital sensor that then prints the digital image onto the film.
That's the one I have. But if I just treat it as a view finder, do not apply any of the effects and print it, then scan it back in, am I going against the spirit of the challenge?
I could drop 75 notes on a Instax mini 12, but that seems pointless.
The only other film camera I think I know where to put my hands on it is a Brownie 127, and 127 film isn't readily available (I don't develop at home, and I've no idea who would be able to develop it).

The January 2024 entries thread is open

There is an option to publicly display who voted for whom when creating a poll. 13 people voted in December 2023 meaning there were 39 votes available but only 37 votes were cast, which is better some other months but still leaves me wondering. Obviously if someone thought there was one brilliant photo and the rest were rubbish then it might be okay to cast a single vote but most months there are no really bad entries.

What do we think, should I use it?

There is an option to publicly display who voted for whom when creating a poll. 13 people voted in December 2023 meaning there were 39 votes available but only 37 votes were cast, which is better some other months but still leaves me wondering. Obviously if someone thought there was one brilliant photo and the rest were rubbish then it might be okay to cast a single vote but most months there are no really bad entries.

Is there a way to make the number of votes mandatory? e.g. unless you choose three entries you can't submit your vote?

No. I think it should be a mystery personally.

I always use all 3 votes.

Is there a way to make the number of votes mandatory? e.g. unless you choose three entries you can't submit your vote?

^^ although that's a good idea IF it's possible to do.

I've always taken it to mean choosing the 3 best entries (IMHO), so always use the 3 votes.

Looks like we won't be doing that then :) My concern is that with a small number of voters a few people casting only one or two votes can have a disproportionate impact. I think having only one vote each would be worse, for example if someone decides to vote for themselves.

What do we think about inviting the wider hoi polloi from across all forums to vote?

Looks like we won't be doing that then :) My concern is that with a small number of voters a few people casting only one or two votes can have a disproportionate impact. I think having only one vote each would be worse, for example if someone decides to vote for themselves.

What do we think about inviting the wider hoi polloi from across all forums to vote?
I think it is a good idea, maybe it will tempt them into film as well.........

IMHO I think taking the approach I have with DPOTY of putting a Notice up for voting, should attract more voters and provide a better outcome. It seems to have worked for that challenge.

IMHO I think taking the approach I have with DPOTY of putting a Notice up for voting, should attract more voters and provide a better outcome. It seems to have worked for that challenge.
That works great for me especially on my mobile

Yeah, I have no problem with the voting being open to all forum users.

I have several times only used one or two votes, not necessarily for FPOTY but for various polls. Only if one stands out and I can't decide between (or don't like, for various reasons) the other candidates. Since I'm not a participant on this, I'm not sure it matters, but a particularly poor case might be if a person only votes for themself. I'm pretty sure that doesn't happen here, and I guess the admins would know and might have a quiet word (not looking for a response to that).

That said, I don't like the idea of displaying "who voted for whom". It has the potential to create bad feeling, so I would much prefer anonymous voting.

guess the admins would know
Actually we don't. I might be able to dig it out of the back-end database but that would be a bit of effort.

Some months there is one photo which clearly stands out, well shot, well presented, on theme, ticks all the boxes and yet it might only get 8 of 15 votes. That's what I can't get my head around, there may be one or two mean spirited or curmudgeonly people who don't vote for the obvious choice but ...

January 2024 voting is open

I almost posted an entry, but the shot I took was so grainy (HP5 and a 55-300 zoom lens at max extension, plus not really having the hang of the settings in Silverfast yet) and also a few water stains on the negs because I am well out of practice in my darkroom skills, so I decided it just was nowhere near adequate. I've started a fresh film in a couple of cameras lately so I hope to get a few entries in this year.

I almost posted an entry, but the shot I took was so grainy (HP5 and a 55-300 zoom lens at max extension, plus not really having the hang of the settings in Silverfast yet) and also a few water stains on the negs because I am well out of practice in my darkroom skills, so I decided it just was nowhere near adequate. I've started a fresh film in a couple of cameras lately so I hope to get a few entries in this year.
I'd love to tell a similar tale... but in reality I took some shots, but then apathy overtook me and I failed to finish the film, let alone process it. Must do better!

I'd love to tell a similar tale... but in reality I took some shots, but then apathy overtook me and I failed to finish the film, let alone process it. Must do better!
Buy a GW690. It only gets eight shots per roll and you'll use 25% of those forgetting to take the lens cap off. ;)

Amongst other cameras I'm trying to exercise, I have a Linhof 617 - 4 shots per 120 roll. But you really don't want to waste them, it's like LF shooting.

Buy a GW690. It only gets eight shots per roll and you'll use 25% of those forgetting to take the lens cap off. ;)

Amongst other cameras I'm trying to exercise, I have a Linhof 617 - 4 shots per 120 roll. But you really don't want to waste them, it's like LF shooting.

Sound and helpful advice - except Mrs Boots would lynch me. I even have a photographer friend who, when shows my latest acquisition, said "How many camera have you got?". I thought that showed a profound lack of kindred spirit.

Shame there was not many entries, personally i struggled with January's theme.
I was not really happy with the image i submitted but I'll commit to the challenge anyway.

This is what I was trying to enter:
240114-09 (3).jpg
Big Boys Toy
(Nikon F5, 55-300 zoom kit lens, HP5, Plustek 8200 scanner)

Sound and helpful advice - except Mrs Boots would lynch me. I even have a photographer friend who, when shows my latest acquisition, said "How many camera have you got?". I thought that showed a profound lack of kindred spirit.
The stock answer to prevent such a situation is; "Not as many as my wife has pairs of shoes / handbags." ;)

Back