Forced to have a week off, where shall I go?

TJJ

Name
Trevor
Edit My Images
Yes
A series of events have meant that I have to take the week of the 2nd June off work.

I'm now looking for somewhere to give the 5D3 a workout but I am a bit stuck for ideas and in need of inspiration.

Looking for something a little different. I've done the Lakes, Jurassic Coast, Norfolk and Suffolk a few times.

Any ideas appreciated, the quirkier the better!

Trevor

City of York for Historic, architectural and urban cityscapes ? (and within spitting distance of some great landscapes too.)

Do a city? Be a change from doing rural locations that you seem to have covered? Failing that, check out the North Coast of Devon. Steep hills, small villages and some interesting weather?

how about sending me the mk3 to try out. and you chill out at home :LOL: :LOL:

mull and that way for the landscapes and the wildlife

Thanks everyone for your comments, and thanks Marky.b for the offer but I'll decline that one!

Excellent ideas and given me food for thought, I'll book something this weekend!

Milton Keynes? That's radically different. Could spend some time indoors in the Turing Museum. Then you have the delights of MK and its roundabouts ;)

Find an old book of a town and see if you can find the places and take photos of how they look now?

Cardiff would be a good choice too as you have all the urban features and there's also Castle Coch and the Brecon Beacons not too far away for a change of scene.

North Wales coast. Porthmerion, cant get quirkier than that.

Or if you don't want to go rural, central London? Try fitting all the photographic things it has to offer into the 5D3s lovely new sensor?

Failing that, somewhere in Cornwall like St.Ives or Clovelly. Desperately pretty places.

Oxford, go down any random lane in the city centre and discover a college or famous building. You also get the river and the students doing what students do, some great street photography potential....

Sutherland and Inverpolly- unlike any other landscape in the UK. Heading up to Stac Pollaidh to do an evening and a dawn at the end of June and walked up The Fiddler for dawn in February. A picture of my mate Pete above a thousand foot drop just after dawn.

Amazing beaches just minutes away from where we parked for the walk. I could retire here quite happily (and I live 5 miles from Ullswater)

Eljay said:
Sutherland and Inverpolly- unlike any other landscape in the UK. Heading up to Stac Pollaidh to do an evening and a dawn at the end of June and walked up The Fiddler for dawn in February. A picture of my mate Pete above a thousand foot drop just after dawn.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mark_lj/6830925693/

Amazing beaches just minutes away from where we parked for the walk. I could retire here quite happily (and I live 5 miles from Ullswater)

To me, photos like this are the ultimate landscapes, I love the way they show how puny man is whilst at the same time showing how amazing the people in the pics are for conquering it (not to mention the person who lugged camera and tripod up the other mountain to photograph it).

To me, photos like this are the ultimate landscapes, I love the way they show how puny man is whilst at the same time showing how amazing the people in the pics are for conquering it (not to mention the person who lugged camera and tripod up the other mountain to photograph it).

Unfortunately I lugged Petes 5D mkII and his tripod back down as well as my own stuff as he was struggling. It was his 57th birthday so I didn't mind so much (and he was buying the curries in Ullapool).

North Wales sounds a good choice. High on my list.

It's a no-brainer, the Peak District for Landscape or Liverpool / York for cityscapes

Have a noce break

Thanks all, I'm leaning towards the North Wales Coast suggestion as I've not been there before.

Cheers

Trevor

That would get my vote too.
Some stunningly beautiful bits of coastline.
A starting point for checking out what is on offer, look for Llanddwyn Island and Penmon, both on Anglesey but it's all good around there.
You also have some classic old town and harbour shots such as Caernarfon
And when you feel in the mood for some mountain landscapes Snowdonia is right next door. You don't have to be a mountain goat, check out Cwm Idwall, and the much photographed Lynnau Mymbyr and Llyn Gwynant.

Cornwall is lovely but a fair trek. London will be busy but again very good.

My suggestion, Cambridge. Good for people, landscapes and buildings. Loads to see in the town and some lovely places outside, some very nice villages and countryside.

Why not do your own town?
Often forgotten, wish I had done it with the kids when they were small, just to show the changes.
Isle of man often forgotten

A couple of great locations. Look forward to seeing the results. The 5D3 is a tempting piece of kit.

Nice one Trevor. Looking forward to the photographs.

Back