Good locations on NYMR?

A_S

Name
Andrew
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi,

Going upto Pickering next weekend and Saturday is fairly free so I thought I might see if I could take some photos on the NYMR.

Looking for somewhere fairly accessible (don't mind a bit of a walk though) for some landscapy type shots with the moors and the railway. Not looking for the loco to fill 90% of the frame sort of thing.

Any suggestions?

Cheers

The area around Levisham (village and station) and Skelton tower is not far away and quite interesting, adequate free parking.
You are spoilt for choice really, Dalby or Cropton Forest are very close by and if there is any frost/snow/mist the well grown conifers can look great.

The area around Levisham (village and station) and Skelton tower is not far away and quite interesting, adequate free parking.
You are spoilt for choice really, Dalby or Cropton Forest are very close by and if there is any frost/snow/mist the well grown conifers can look great.

Thanks - I'll be in the forests the following day for some rallying but specifically loooking at framing the railway in the scenery

Never photographed it but the point where the lower Goathland road joins the A169 is always a popular spot. The track is off in the distance (500m) and on a curve so you get to see a bit of the train, not just a head on view. There's a parking lay-by (usually with an ice cream van if it's warm) to wait in. The shot will be south facing though so the sun might be in the frame if shooting at midday.

Reactions: A_S
Never photographed it but the point where the lower Goathland road joins the A169 is always a popular spot. The track is off in the distance (500m) and on a curve so you get to see a bit of the train, not just a head on view. There's a parking lay-by (usually with an ice cream van if it's warm) to wait in. The shot will be south facing though so the sun might be in the frame if shooting at midday.

Got it I think

Bear in mind that if it's a tender loco then it will only be facing the right way from Grosmont to Pickering and will be tender first on the return, which just doesn't look right.
However if it's a tank engine then that's not too bad. Ideally you should catch the loco working hard (plenty of exhaust) and a good spot is Moorgates which is down the road mentioned above, then under the railway and park up. The loco will have just left Goathland and be working hard, anywhere after this is downhill and consequently not much in the way of exhaust.

You can stand on the bank by the bridge or on the other side of the road by the lay by or walk through the gate after the cattle grid for another angle.
There is a stone arch on the other side of the road from the lay by which you can walk through and then turn left or right for more opportunities. (see second example)

Here's a couple of examples;

SR Schools Class No 926 "Repton", 13.02.18.

92214 "Cock o' the North" at Moorgates on the N.Y.M.R., 24/08/11.

Here's a link to the spot;

Good luck.

Last edited:
Grosmont is a must for a visit. Also not far from whitby so can get the train to there also.

Back