Non UK Iceland

Edit My Images
Yes
Heading off to Iceland next week. Have a two day trip booked along the south coast and a day to the Snæfellsnes National Park. A day in Reykjavik and possible trip if the volcano is active. Cold wet and snowy forecast but will be nice to get away. Maybe a chance to see the Northern lights too.
can’t wait!

I could spend a day on the ice beach (with frequent top-upas of the lobster soup in the café beside the lagoon!) Vik and the peninsula with the lighthouse (Dyrholaey) a few km West of Vik are wort a visit of you have time too. There are a few waterfalls almost right beside the road along the South coast. Geysir and Gulfoss are fairly close together. Good luck with the AB. FWIW, when we went, we hardly spent any cash - pretty much everything was paid by card.

Enjoy. Heading there in early February and trying to decide if we should pre book accomodation or if it will be possible to book in as we travel allowing for maximum flexibilty to stop where we want for as long as we want and follow the weather. Anybody any experience? Advice appreciated.

Normally recommended to book in advance particularly in the summer. You might be OK in Feb but I’d post in the Iceland Trip Advisor forums and ask that question. There are a few helpful residents on there.

Just to say if you are driving yourself please take care - the weather can change very quickly and you find yourself in very difficult driving conditions.
When I went (March) it was on a small organised trip, and at one point our driver was relying entirely on the road marker posts (the road itself hidden beneath the driving snow) - having been in bright sunshine an hour earlier.

Hope you have a great time, it's an amazing place for photography.

Reactions: Nod
Just to say if you are driving yourself please take care - the weather can change very quickly and you find yourself in very difficult driving conditions.
When I went (March) it was on a small organised trip, and at one point our driver was relying entirely on the road marker posts (the road itself hidden beneath the driving snow) - having been in bright sunshine an hour earlier.

Good point. Next week I’ve booked two “small group” trips as I didn’t want to risk driving myself. Already this winter a number of vehicles have been blown off the roads!

When the TP group I went with in March 2015 were there, 2 of the 3 Land Cruisers in the group got blown off the road (ring road).

Having our own transport meant that we could be at assorted places with no coachloads of people wandering around with selfish sticks so could get relatively unspoiled shots (although the trampled snow was a slight problem!)

Just a reminder of the dangers out there.

Happened 20 mins after I had been on the beach. Very sad but failed to do as she was told and tried to walk round the headland with a high tide.

Happened 20 mins after I had been on the beach. Very sad but failed to do as she was told and tried to walk round the headland with a high tide.
omg thtat is so sad.
even in the uk we see (mainly) tourists being cut off, swept out, injured.
we are nothing when compared to nature ! care is the watchword.
R.I.P.

Definitely!

Last time I was there the snow came in so fast, and the only way to see you were even on a road was via the central reservation barrier.

I'm happy and confident driving in all conditions, but that was a new one for me, and did mess with the head a bit.

Trip cancelled today to Snæfellsjökull as severe storm forecast with force 10 wind. So a day in Reykjavík where it is very windy!

Hopefully the weather will improve. I'll be there in mid-December for a week :)
Well they say if you wait 10 minutes the weather will change!
might not affect you but their Covid restrictions have just increased. Masks inside when a meter distance isn’t possible and bars and restaurants must have closed by11pm with last entry at 10pm. Also max indoor capacity of any bar and restaurant limited to 50 people.

Well they say if you wait 10 minutes the weather will change!
might not affect you but their Covid restrictions have just increased. Masks inside when a meter distance isn’t possible and bars and restaurants must have closed by11pm with last entry at 10pm. Also max indoor capacity of any bar and restaurant limited to 50 people.

I've been there several times so I am well aware of it's weather pattern just never been to Snaefellsnes peninsular :) pity to hear the Covid case been increase but we all can hope for the best.

For people who are going to a "short" trip to Iceland I do recomend driving the Snæfellsnes, alot of history and also alot of beautifull places, If you have more time to look around then I also recomend driving the south coast, "Skógarfoss" is a must see if you have time for it. But be carefull, every time i go there I always tend to drive further, thinking "Its only driving 1 hour more to see "this" place" and that goes on and on for few hours untill i've driven way too far and a trip that was supposed to be 1 day ends up being 2-3 days!:ROFLMAO:
I could write a very long list of places that i would recomend seeing!

It is a good idea downloading the app "Vegahandbókin" its basicly a map of Iceland with places marked on it and has some information about every spot

Back