Locations for street photography

I am based in London and have never thought of the law courts (admittedly it is normally difficult for me to get during office hours) so am keen to give that go

I find street photography really easy, in terms of not feeling inhibited, abroad or in the tourist areas of London but feel really self conscious in residential areas. Not sure if other are the same?

Interesting article but not enough photographs to indicate what you could capture in the location.
I find eye contact essential as you're almost always spotted taking the photo so a smile back to the subject can disarm any hostility, or even brighten the subject for the image.

Most of us are constantly on the lookout for new locations to practice our street shooting. If you're based in London (or fancy a visit), Fleet Street offers good opportunities; I've written a short piece about it, which may be of interest: http://biSPAM/2fNIlIf

Good read. Thanks for this will pay it a visit next time I'm down.

Most of us are constantly on the lookout for new locations to practice our street shooting. If you're based in London (or fancy a visit), Fleet Street offers good opportunities; I've written a short piece about it, which may be of interest: http://biSPAM/2fNIlIf
Thanks for the idea. I will have a couple days in London late May of next year. After Googling Fleet Street, I found a photo of a dragon statue that I'd love to find.

I find eye contact essential as you're almost always spotted taking the photo so a smile back to the subject can disarm any hostility, or even brighten the subject for the image.

It really depends what your aim is. Most people see street photography as being candid, catching an unguarded moment. Once the subject has seen you and knows your intentions (ie. that you about to photograph them), their behaviour will change and what you shoot will not be the same as what you originally spotted - and it ceases to be 'candid'. If you are spotted after the event, then I agree, a smile can disarm and help assuage any hostility.

If you're shooting people with their knowledge, that's getting into the realms of street portraiture, where eye contact and engagement are essential.

Last edited:
I guess find lesser inhabited places as the popular ones have usually been shot to death. I am sure theres lots of good stuff around Grenwich. Having said that sometimes its more about time and environment than location. I have a particular shot in mins although I am hoping its been raining before hand.

Back