Micro 4/3's Bodies

Name
Chris
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi folks,

Looking to get some opinion on Micro 4/3s cameras.
I've recently sold my DSLR kit and looking to pickup a Compact System to enable me to keep a camera and also so it takes up less space which means I can stick it in my bag and have it with me all the time.

I had initially been very keen on the Sony NEX 5 but despite having what I feel is probably a better technical spec the lack of lenses has put me off.

I had a play with a Panasonic GF2 last week and was very impressed with it especially the size of the 14mm pancake, I then decided to look at GF1's due to them having the remote shutter function removed from the GF2, (and no touch screen which I don't really like). However again being put off a little as new ones are quite hard to find (and dear!) and the used ones also are commanding a premium.

I hadn't really considered Olympus as I find the EPL1 to be not very nice to handle and the lovely EP2 very expensive!!! (&EPL2)

However I've noticed that the EP1 is still available brand new very cheaply now either £200 body only or £300 with the Olympus 17mm Pancake.

My question for any users out there is two fold really, is the EP1 still a good buy, especially at its current price? And also for an extra £100 is the 17mm lens worth a buy? The 34mm equivalent 35mm focal length sounds like a winner to me and is very similar to the Pentax 21mm I recently had.

Would welcome any comments!

If it's going into a bag rather than a coat pocket how about a G1 or G2 rather than a GF1? There are bargains to be had and with a prime lens fitted the size difference might not matter, plus you get an articulated screen and a viewfinder.

Just a thought...

How about a Panasonic G3 and a 20mm pancake? About as small as a GF1 but with a better sensor and a built in EVF. Also the 20mm pancake is widely thought to be rather excellent. Obviously since it is brand new it is a bit more expensive than either of your GF1/EP1 options.

Last edited:
I had thought about a larger body due to the EVF and I guess your right with a pancake the size isn't much bigger, I'm trying not to spend a fortune at the same time which is partly why I thought the EP1 was a bit of a bargain.

Also was quite tempted by the Samsung NX10 / NX100 again really cheap at the moment as they've been replaced by newer models, APS-C sensor and the 30mm pancake is meant to be a cracker!

You'd be better off with your original NEX than NX when it comes to lenses though.

Someone correct me if I am wrong but NEX cameras can use all the same lenses Sony Alpha cameras use, not so sure what lenses other than the ones built specifically for them the Samsung NX cameras are compatible with.

Obviously you need to keep in mind that because of the larger sensor size on those the lenses have to be larger too so you lose a fair bit of the size advantage.

I had an E-P1 which I used almost exclusively with a 20mm and loved it. The camera itself was lovely - superbly built and I never felt like I was missing anything. It's also worth mentioning this combo is a lowlight machine - 20mm 1.7 combined with 4 stops of IBIS - nice. I shot at 1.7 with ISO 1600 lots and liked the results. It's worth mentioning the JPEG output is *really* good. I much prefer it to Pannys.

In the end I ended up ditching it all for a DSLR setup due to lack of accessories/high prices for lens.

I'm very happy I switched, but I may well pickup a E-P1/20mm again soon for social use. If you aren't into action togging I think it's still a great choice.

Last edited:
If it's going into a bag rather than a coat pocket how about a G1 or G2 rather than a GF1? There are bargains to be had and with a prime lens fitted the size difference might not matter, plus you get an articulated screen and a viewfinder.

Starting out with a similar inspiration to the OP, that's exactly the thought process I went through last month, particularly when I considered that I couldn't get by without an eye-level viewfinder.

I ended up with a G2 and 14-42 kit lens with a tenner's change from £400 and it now lives in my work bag; it can be had for about £360 now the G3's appeared. Cheap enough not to worry too much.

I shoot RAW so JPEG output isn't of much interest.

What I hadn't counted on was how much I would also enjoy using manual focus glass from my film cameras with an adapter. Although they're not as compact as, say, the Panasonic 20mm f/1.7 pancake, which I intend to buy when funds are available, they're still often noticeably smaller lighter than modern autofocus lenses.

As a consequence, I've hardly picked up my Canon 5D in the last month and I know there's a number of photographs I've taken that I simply wouldn't have had a camera with me for if I'd not had the G2 or something similar.

waiting by cybertect, on Flickr

Tooley Street Shadows by cybertect, on Flickr

The EVF is fine for composing with and adequate for manual focus. I know I couldn't have got by with just a rear screen, but if you're only going to use native AF lenses, then it might be OK.

While I was initially skeptical about the removal of some of the controls, now I've had time to think about it, I think the G3 is quite attractive, but currently a bit too expensive for my needs.

That said, the Olympus E-P1 with a 17mm pancake and OVF for little over £300 as it is currently would still be very tempting for a cheap, compact street machine.

Some lovely shots there Rob!
I'm going into Jessops today so I will have a look at the G2 while I'm there, I was aiming for as small as possible and the £300 EP1 would be more of a "foot in the door" into M 4/3 with the intention of upgrading to something else later in the year, its mainly price thats made me look at it and also I'm quite attracted by the in body IS.

I saw a comparison between the GF2 and new G3 and size wise there wasn't much in it so I imagine the difference between the EP1 or GF1 and G2 isn't too bad considering there would be a better grip and intergrated EVF, also the G2 is only £300 new and I'd add a 20mm to that.

Arghhh decisions decisions, i'm not into action photography at all I'm really into landscapes and architecture and would like to try street photography so a much smaller body like the EP1 would be really good for that

The G1 is so much better than the EP1 (which i also owned) for street photography, trying to frame shots quickly is so much easier with the EVF. Autofocus on the EP1 is pretty dire as well compared to the Panasonic.

For landscapes etc, again the G1 wins out with the tilt and swivel screen, once youve used it you'll be cursing the day you have to use a tripod without it!

Thanks again guys, I'm perhaps coming around to the idea that a G1/G2 might be a better idea, the only EVF one I've tried was actually the Samsung NX10 and I thought it had a perfectly useable EVF, I've since discovered that the Panasonic ones are meant to be even better!!!!

I got my G1+14-42mm from the for sale section here for £200 which I think is a real bargain.

The G2 is a great camera. I have a Nex-5 and have just bought a Panasonic G2 for holiday/family photos for the following reasons:

1) The Nex-5 autofocus misses in over 50% of photos. Even stopped down to maximise DOF. This is not a fault with my camera; several online reviews mention it, and one online review actually posts 2 sample images that are out of focus. My G2 autofocus hits the spot every time.

2) The kit lens and 16mm lens both suffer from awful distortion. This is corrected nicely with my G2.

3) The Nex-5 overexposes, and no exposure compensation is available in iAuto mode. The G2 exposes perfectly.

3) Both Sony lenses are rather poor.

I now use my Nex-5 only with my OM zuiko lenses, which are of course manual focus only, on a tripod. Image quality is superb.

If you are thinking that the Nex-5 has superior image quality to the G2 you are right, but what use is that if your photos are out of focus and overexposed?

Well I bought and received a brand new Olympus EP1 last week with the 17mm pancake lens and I'm very impressed with it.

It was really the lenses that put me off the NEX for now, I'm not ruling it out in future but it seems to be at the moment that its been aimed at P&S upgraders and those wanting to play with their Leica / legacy lenses.

The EP1 technically seems basically the same as the E620 DSLR I had a few years ago and seems to do everything I want it to!

I don't mind not having a viewfinder (so far) and if I did I think I'd try and pickup a used G1 or G2 to go alongside my EP1, its just so small that its already been out with me when ordinarily the DSLR would have been left at home.

Back