Moon 13/2/14

Nod

Tootles
Name
Nod (UK)
Edit My Images
Yes
Having offered what I hope has been helpful advice on some posted moonshots, it's only fair that I should show one of my efforts! Taken last week, the day before it was full. Not really its most photogenic time but there is a little crater shadowing at the bottom left of the shot. I used my V1's centre weighted average metering and dialled in -1 stop of exposure compensation which gave me 1/125th s @ f/11 and ISO 100 - pretty close to my recommendation of the "Sunny f/16" rule. Shot at the long end of the 70-300's zoom using VR and handheld. On the V1, that gives me the EFL (35mm) of 810mm and I've cropped into it fairly heavily. One of these evenings, I hope to stick @ChrisWilson's 600mm f/4 and teleconverter on for a moonshot. Might be able to prove that the Septics really DID get there!!!

DSC_0121
by gpn63, on Flickr

To be honest Nod your not exactly being helped by the phase of the moon here but this looks really flat as its near as damn it a full moon, you'd had got much better results waiting a few days and then taking it once it was a partial moon would make the image so much more dynamic with shadows showing the texture if the surface...

Matt

Yup, full isn't the best time to shoot the moon, unless it's an eclipse, in which case it's the only time! It was taken more as an exercise in showing that the sunny f/16 guideline works very well as a starting point for moon shots.

Yup, full isn't the best time to shoot the moon, unless it's an eclipse, in which case it's the only time! It was taken more as an exercise in showing that the sunny f/16 guideline works very well as a starting point for moon shots.

Indeed it is (y)

As far as exposure goes, yes but it's much lacking in interest!

Back