Nifty Fifty Challenge 2024 - Chat thread

Are you planning on taking part?

I would hope that a reasonable person can see the spirit of the challenge - i.e. shoot on basic kit with a lens that gives roughly the same field of view as the human eye.

I found that any challange I've ever run someone is always looking for an angle or trying to disrupt the spirit of the the thing. It's not as though there are prizes to be had.
Potentially, but making sure that we are talking of a "standard" lens, no gimmicks - as mentioned by @Cobra - seen it more than once (not here I should add) in the past where something follows the "letter" but not the "spirit" of the activity.

Potentially, but making sure that we are talking of a "standard" lens, no gimmicks - as mentioned by @Cobra - seen it more than once (not here I should add) in the past where something follows the "letter" but not the "spirit" of the activity.
As @Cobra says, with such grand prizes and plaudits at stake it is best to spend the week nit picking and then not have time to shoot anything

FGS its a bit of pre-Christmas fun :facepalm:

Maybe a 'no-crop or straighten' rule would keep things within the spirit of the compo?
I think @Gav already covered that. Can we just do it in the spirit of a bit of light hearted fun between mates with the best intentions? If someone wants to submit a bird-in-flight shot on 600mm it speaks volumes about them and matters not one jot to those who do the right thing

Bellows & extension tubes don't - they affect the distance of the focal plane behind the axis of the lens - demonstrably still the same focal length lens though...

But they change the effective focal length.

Yep, that's what I was trying to say but didn't know how to say it.
I guess if you had 2 identical cameras with 50mm primes and took the same picture of say a teddy, but one had extension tubes, the outputs will be quite different, ie one will be a 50mm focal length but another will be 85 / 105 etc depending on the extension tubes magnification.

I think you have concentrated too much on the lens as opposed to the focal length equivalent for the outputted photo. ie I've a compact sony rx100vii which has a 24-200 equivalent zoom lens, I just need to make sure Im shooting and outputting at 50mm equivalent. Of course the guys using 50mm primes on ff will have a great advantage assuming they want to shoot wide open and use bokeh

Maybe I'm a simpleton and don't get it but I'm just planning to use a 50mm 1.8 on my FF and 25mm on my M43rds (or a zoom set at equivalent focal length if I have to).

I'd prefer to approach this with the 50mm and 25mm M43rds as it will make it harder for me to capture the image as I'll have to think about where I put my feet....

I'm not planning on cropping anything, perhaps a light touch up in LR and that's it.

Shouldn't be any harder than that should it? Unless someone's putting up a 7 figure cash prize (which I wouldn't win anyway lol).

Maybe I'm a simpleton and don't get it but I'm just planning to use a 50mm 1.8 on my FF and 25mm on my M43rds (or a zoom set at equivalent focal length if I have to).

I'd prefer to approach this with the 50mm and 25mm M43rds as it will make it harder for me to capture the image as I'll have to think about where I put my feet....

I'm not planning on cropping anything, perhaps a light touch up in LR and that's it.

Shouldn't be any harder than that should it? Unless someone's putting up a 7 figure cash prize (which I wouldn't win anyway lol).
You've got it spot on mate (y)

I've put one up that I shot on my weekly Dartmoor Photowalk at 35mm (APSC) I did crop it to 16x9 though but it is still the full width as shot. I might be able to get some more yet as I am going out and about with my Leica M9 and 50mm Summicron, I will endevour to load as shot (if I get anything worthwhile).

Aware that I haven't shot anything with my 35mm (50mm equivalent) this week, I'm going to venture out in to the dull greyness of a December afternoon in Coventry's suburbs to see if I can find anything worth shooting.

Aware that I haven't shot anything with my 35mm (50mm equivalent) this week, I'm going to venture out in to the dull greyness of a December afternoon in Coventry's suburbs to see if I can find anything worth shooting.

I just did that, but I don't think I should post it. Totally untouched, n cropping or adjustments of any kind, except a plain resize.

However, I didn't find dull greyness :)

The sun actually came out whilst I was on my lunchtime walk!

Managed another 3 this afternoon in Tavistock with my Leica M9 and 50mm Summicron. TBH I'm not much of a 50mm shooter, I prefer 35mm for general and 21mm for wide but hey-ho it's a challenge innit :banana:.
I think we might need a week 16, 21, 24, 35 & 50 threads next year :LOL:

@Harlequin565 I've not been out yet :(
Nice image though (y)

@Cobra play by the rules, no chat in the image thread ;)
Heh. I had my reply all typed out and then remembered it was a photos thread and the chat was here. The image was a lamp shade and it bugs me now that I wasn't directly underneath it...

In response, my (new) 50 and the 6D is a big package. I just tend to take the GR3 when I go out. Maybe I should also get a GR3X :)

Heh. I had my reply all typed out and then remembered it was a photos thread and the chat was here. The image was a lamp shade and it bugs me now that I wasn't directly underneath it...

In response, my (new) 50 and the 6D is a big package. I just tend to take the GR3 when I go out. Maybe I should also get a GR3X :)
So you're another needing an excuse for more gear :LOL:

I was only messing about as Chris keeps an eye on his image threads :D:exit:

@Cobra play by the rules, no chat in the image thread ;)
DOH! :facepalm:
When anyone does that in the 52 image only thread they get the order of the
-Donut.png
Bollocking and donut accepted (y)

Last edited:
How many pics can we put in? I've got a shot on 35mm on a crop, (because I left my ff in the studio) but I'm fancying a shot on FF as well???

Hi all,

I found this website and page accident and joined for the nifty fifty week!
I have no idea how to embed images or if I have done this properly...
This was taken tonight, Nikon D3, 50mm
Welcome to TP and the 50 challenge. This is the chat thread the image thread is linked on page 1

Uploading images. In the help pages

Last edited:
Welcome to TP and the 50 challenge. This is the chat thread the image thread is linked on page 1

Uploading images. In the help pages

Thank you, I have reposted on the other page.

I have no idea how to embed images or if I have done this properly...
Seems like you managed it. Welcome to TP. Hope you stick around.

Thanks for organising that Gav. Was a fun little diversion.

Back