Nikon Z* mirrorless

Nikon have a compatibility chart

I expect you are OK if the light is good - remember TC's reduce the f value, higher f value - so this will effect focusing in bad light
You beat me to it! :giggle: Looks like it's compatible. You should be fine with a 1.4x on a 2.8 lens IME. FWIW, the 500 PF with 1.4x is pretty useable on a Z8 via an FTZ2 in good light, noticeably better than on my D850

Last edited:
Nikon TC's - they, the reviewers, always say that the later the version the better it is - but what Nikon have done is to release new versions every so often when they have upgraded specific lens - so it you have the original 70 200mm f2.8 VR, (which I have), I would think that the earlier versions, (which I have), are just as good as the later ones, but if you have the latest 70 200mm f2.8E , maybe the latest version TC will be more appropriate.

so I'd get a good TC-14E II at the best price ....... I've used the 17 and 20 with my 600mm f4, but have found that the 14 is more consistent unless the light is really good - just my opinion

also if you are on a tripod there is always the turn off the VR debate - as the lens will look for movement that is not there - VR on or off - never know which to tell you the truth

Last edited:
also if you are on a tripod there is always the turn off the VR debate - as the lens will look for movement that is not there - VR on or off - never know which to tell you the truth
my take on this is that few tripods outside studios are 100% stable, so leave VR on.

my take on this is that few tripods outside studios are 100% stable, so leave VR on.
There's certainly a lot of "stabilising" going on with the Zf plus a Nikon VR lens - although apparently in body IOS is different from VR - but the old (camera) brain must be going around in ever decreasing circles.

Nikon TC's - they, the reviewers, always say that the later the version the better it is - but what Nikon have done is to release new versions every so often when they have upgraded specific lens - so it you have the original 70 200mm f2.8 VR, (which I have), I would think that the earlier versions, (which I have), are just as good as the later ones, but if you have the latest 70 200mm f2.8E , maybe the latest version TC will be more appropriate.

so I'd get a good TC-14E II at the best price ....... I've used the 17 and 20 with my 600mm f4, but have found that the 14 is more consistent unless the light is really good - just my opinion

Thanks Bill. I did read that also. I decided that when I want a TC I'll be after a bit more reach that the 1.4 would provide so went for the TC-17E II. £88 from MPB (marked as "excellent") seemed reasonable.

Back