Nikon Z* mirrorless

Nikon have a compatibility chart

I expect you are OK if the light is good - remember TC's reduce the f value, higher f value - so this will effect focusing in bad light
You beat me to it! :giggle: Looks like it's compatible. You should be fine with a 1.4x on a 2.8 lens IME. FWIW, the 500 PF with 1.4x is pretty useable on a Z8 via an FTZ2 in good light, noticeably better than on my D850

Last edited:
Nikon TC's - they, the reviewers, always say that the later the version the better it is - but what Nikon have done is to release new versions every so often when they have upgraded specific lens - so it you have the original 70 200mm f2.8 VR, (which I have), I would think that the earlier versions, (which I have), are just as good as the later ones, but if you have the latest 70 200mm f2.8E , maybe the latest version TC will be more appropriate.

so I'd get a good TC-14E II at the best price ....... I've used the 17 and 20 with my 600mm f4, but have found that the 14 is more consistent unless the light is really good - just my opinion

also if you are on a tripod there is always the turn off the VR debate - as the lens will look for movement that is not there - VR on or off - never know which to tell you the truth

Last edited:
also if you are on a tripod there is always the turn off the VR debate - as the lens will look for movement that is not there - VR on or off - never know which to tell you the truth
my take on this is that few tripods outside studios are 100% stable, so leave VR on.

my take on this is that few tripods outside studios are 100% stable, so leave VR on.
There's certainly a lot of "stabilising" going on with the Zf plus a Nikon VR lens - although apparently in body IOS is different from VR - but the old (camera) brain must be going around in ever decreasing circles.

Nikon TC's - they, the reviewers, always say that the later the version the better it is - but what Nikon have done is to release new versions every so often when they have upgraded specific lens - so it you have the original 70 200mm f2.8 VR, (which I have), I would think that the earlier versions, (which I have), are just as good as the later ones, but if you have the latest 70 200mm f2.8E , maybe the latest version TC will be more appropriate.

so I'd get a good TC-14E II at the best price ....... I've used the 17 and 20 with my 600mm f4, but have found that the 14 is more consistent unless the light is really good - just my opinion

Thanks Bill. I did read that also. I decided that when I want a TC I'll be after a bit more reach that the 1.4 would provide so went for the TC-17E II. £88 from MPB (marked as "excellent") seemed reasonable.

The 24-120 is quite a bit heavier than the 24-200, and some say is no better for IQ
with my copy of the 24-120 v a 24-200 which I tried out, it's night and day -- the 120 is far better is every respect. May simply have been a poor (second hand) copy of the 24-200. And I wouldn't say a 60g weight difference is that much but some may notice it.

with my copy of the 24-120 v a 24-200 which I tried out, it's night and day -- the 120 is far better is every respect. May simply have been a poor (second hand) copy of the 24-200. And I wouldn't say a 60g weight difference is that much but some may notice it.
I'm certainly going to consider it after my little seafaring excursion next week. Although, apart from the aperture, I've yet to find the 24-200 lacking in IQ.

Anyway, I did go to the open day in the local Photoplanet yesterday and played around with the Zf with grip attached. Seems doable with the 100-400. Do like the dials and they seem unusually well designed with a feeling of quality. Fortunately, you can't actually buy anything in a shop with just a slip of the finger......

Still a bit unclear about charging the thing as there is no charger supplied. You charge from within the camera but surely that still requires some sort of compatible mains charger. Did ask the guy in the shop and he showed me a compatible charger but presumably you have to buy that anyway to be able to charge at all?

Although, apart from the aperture, I've yet to find the 24-200 lacking in IQ
my tests over a couple of days showed some photos were absolutely fine, though probably not quite as detailed as the 24-70 I still had at that time (within the common range). However there were far too many focus errors and very poor wide-angle edge performance. I suspect there is some sample variation with this lens as some reports, including yours, seem pretty positive. Still, I can certainly endorse the 24-120 for those who don't go much longer telephoto.

Anyway, I did go to the open day in the local Photoplanet yesterday and played around with the Zf with grip attached. Seems doable with the 100-400. Do like the dials and they seem unusually well designed with a feeling of quality. Fortunately, you can't actually buy anything in a shop with just a slip of the finger......

Still a bit unclear about charging the thing as there is no charger supplied. You charge from within the camera but surely that still requires some sort of compatible mains charger. Did ask the guy in the shop and he showed me a compatible charger but presumably you have to buy that anyway to be able to charge at all?
The lead supplied goes into any USB powered socket and then straight into the camera. Don't worry, it works. But you can always buy an after-market charger as well.

The correct charger is the MH-34. However, the older MH-25 for the D800/D850 works fine. I picked up one of those.

the only USB powered sockets are on the PC and at best there's only one free. Of course I have chargers for my phone and iPad but I don't suppose these are compatible. The official Nikon chargers are not inexpensive. Of course I currently have a charger but that would be sold with the Z6 if I were in due course to upgrade.

Has anyone successfully used an FTZ plus a teleconverter on an AF-S lens? I've read it can be done would like to hear from anyone that has and which TC you used. I'm interested in trying out the combo on a Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 70-200mm f/2.8G IF-ED VR.

Hi,

I've just tried the following:

Z6ii - TC 1.4 iii - AFS 70-200 f/2.8 ii ED VR

Worked fine.

the only USB powered sockets are on the PC and at best there's only one free. Of course I have chargers for my phone and iPad but I don't suppose these are compatible. The official Nikon chargers are not inexpensive. Of course I currently have a charger but that would be sold with the Z6 if I were in due course to upgrade.
iPhone and iPad chargers will work fine. I bought a U Green 30W USB charger with high quality cable on Amazon for about £15. I also use small power banks on the go with that cable, works great.

I just use any old USB charge point for mine. Obviously the higher the power rating the faster.

Hi Trevor,
Please can you explain your thoughts around this.
Is it that you find the Nikon balance a little too cool/blue.

I've been setting up my white balance on the ZF this evening and initially set it to 5000k. That really didn't work for product type shots with a white background and none of the Nikon pre-sets worked for me, either. Ended up making my own custom pre-set and now all is well. I have a ZFC for sale in the Nikon sales forum and I took those shots before setting the white balance properly. The WB was all over the place.

For street or non-product photography I can imagine 5k would be quite pleasing, though. This is the first day I've had chance to use my new ZF so still setting it up.

Hi Trevor,
Please can you explain your thoughts around this.
Is it that you find the Nikon balance a little too cool/blue.
It’s just that for my usual subjects (walkabout) it works well. I’ve noticed in the past when taking shots for a Pano auto white balance meant more work in post.

Ooooooooh happy days! Just got a notification that a shiny new Z8 will be arriving this morning
Anyone got a link to best settings for BIF with this beastie please?

I just use any old USB charge point for mine. Obviously the higher the power rating the faster.
Same, I have a couple of Lenovo 65w USB-C chargers dotted around the house which I use for the camera, phone, laptop, tablet etc., it's extremely convenient these days that bar a few micro USB devices I mostly only need USB-C to charge items. My brother was needing a macro lens and the only one I had was an old 4/3 one so I was trying to find a Panasonic GH1 or GH2 charger (since it connected to the mains) so I went digging through my big box of chargers when the charger in many cases was unique to the camera so I've a ridiculous amount of them and even the GH1 and GH2 used different batteries and chargers. It really makes me appreciate the standard USB charging we have now especially with mirrorless cameras being more hungry on power.

I'm waiting for first dibs on Trevors :naughty:
Didn’t you know? He keeps all his “old” cameras in a vault under his house. He’s just applied for planning permission to get it extended … :exit:

Z8, I've been trying to convince myself I don't need it.
I know I don't, but bloody hell. I can crop the crap out of it.

like this
1724x1724 Crop Z8 by Trevor, on Flickr

Uncropped but again those lovely coloursChinese Azelea growing wild by Trevor, on Flickr

And for a change, someone else's dog.
nod to @macvisual
Not my dog by Trevor, on Flickr
I too have invested in a Z8 and just waiting on it arriving. I have to admit I'm weeing myself in anticipation!! Nikon colours are just so natural and your images are stunning. Particularly the last one

I too have invested in a Z8 and just waiting on it arriving. I have to admit I'm weeing myself in anticipation!! Nikon colours are just so natural and your images are stunning. Particularly the last one
Thank you. Appreciate it. No question about its ability.

Back