OFFICIAL I HAVE A NEW (FILM RELATED) TOY THREAD!!

I have seen lots of Life photographs so I bought a copy.

1707330240269.jpeg

It's amazing, I wish I could have been a subscriber.

Last edited:
I bought Bernice Abbot's biography. Shame that Evri, or whatever, screwed up the delivery and the book got left in the garden to get wet. Anyway, I'll take it to read on holiday.

1707330571481.jpeg

And, for now, I saw a volume of photographs at The Rylands in Manchester, of the Bill Buffalo Circus, astonishingly, each photograph is labelled with the names of the performers. I suggested it might have been made by the staff photographers at the time.

I found this book of photographs...

1707330887026.jpeg

As an aside, my grandmother visited the circus, at first I believed it was in Bradford in1893, but Buffalo Bill weren't there then. But, the circus were in Keighley in 1903, that's where she lived, so I guess that were there she saw the spectacle.

Finally gave in to temptation, after 6 months of resisting the urge. RIP my bank account.

full

Finally gave in to temptation, after 6 months of resisting the urge. RIP my bank account.

full
There is only one word to describe this - gorgeous. I am not a fan of rangefinder cameras but this is something else. Aesthetically it is nicer than the Leica equivalent, perhaps it is the satin chrome rather than black, but I could own and use one of these quite comfortably (apart from my bank balance). The closest I have to this is my late, almost mint model, Nikon F2a and that is a pleasure to use. I would love to know where it has been hidden since 1979/80 because it has hardly been used.

Last edited:
I'm with you on that Rodinal. One of the main reasons I've always wanted a Zeiss Ikon ZM was because of how beautiful they are. I do have a bit of a love/hate relationship with rangefinders, but I'll put the effort in for this one.

I'm off the Northumberland next week and in line with policy I'm going to take different cameras, one of which is my Canon F1n. Unfortunately it has been playing up recently and the mirror sometimes fails to reset so I bought this as a backup body, I already had the rather rough 50mm lens.

1708540607576.jpeg

Not the most elegantly designed camera but it functions well. It cost £21 and the seller gave it a six month warranty. What is not to like?

I'm off the Northumberland next week and in line with policy I'm going to take different cameras, one of which is my Canon F1n. Unfortunately it has been playing up recently and the mirror sometimes fails to reset so I bought this as a backup body, I already had the rather rough 50mm lens.

View attachment 415378

Not the most elegantly designed camera but it functions well. It cost £21 and the seller gave it a six month warranty. What is not to like?
Ah, the F1n.............................. :love::love::love:

CanonF1n LUF.JPG

Had this one since the 1980s the first I bought of 3 I had running at one time I kept this one only + a bunch of primes from 24 - 300.

View attachment 415378

Hey Peter I've been praising the T70 here for years and you buy a T50, but then I've never used a T50 and am sure you will enjoy it.

From what I gathered from t'internet, the T70 is much more sophisticated than the T50, which is about as basic as cameras get, it is point and shoot with no manual controls except the ability to shoot at 1/60th second when the lens isn't set to A (automatic). However the T50 seem a nice robust bit of kit, the only obvious weak point is the battery cover which is incredibly flimsy. I've taken a few pictures to try the camera out and it seems to be working well. It's very noisy because of the automatic film advance, it feels like it's going to jump out of your hand after the shutter fires..

From what I gathered from t'internet, the T70 is much more sophisticated than the T50, which is about as basic as cameras get, it is point and shoot with no manual controls except the ability to shoot at 1/60th second when the lens isn't set to A (automatic). However the T50 seem a nice robust bit of kit, the only obvious weak point is the battery cover which is incredibly flimsy. I've taken a few pictures to try the camera out and it seems to be working well. It's very noisy because of the automatic film advance, it feels like it's going to jump out of your hand after the shutter fires..
As filmies the looks we get from some digi guys......I was at Brands hatch sunday (with my T70 and 135mm) as my grandson was in a comp for the fastest car over two circuits (not main one) and was told of a great spot for shots (exit through a cafe), well found it and one guy there had a yellow jacket on with massive lens on his digi camera (my T70 looked tiny), well not only did he give "a dirty look" at my camera and was not interested even though I asked what lens he was using (300mm maybe a zoom), but decided to be a "busy body" asking if I had signed in to be in this spot. Well being the sort of person that side tracks rules when I can, mentioned outside the cafe was a bin for litter and cigarette ends for customers, so i said "I'll stand there"...actually it was better for me as I rested the lens on the bin (prefocused on the taking shot) and helped with camera shake. (y)
If I took my T90 or Nikon F4 for AF would I get better shots..well I'll see with the results.

Last edited:
Not popular here as most say it's ugly erm my thinking is:- what is a camera for taking pictures or for show.

The T70 looks like a prop from Blake's 7. That's not necessarily a bad thing, I'm a big fan of the show, but when was the last time you saw Blake's 7 on mainstream TV? ;)

Been collecting old m42 lenses for use on my DSLR for a couple years. I have a few different Meyer-Optik ones which I really like. Yesterday I came across this in an antique shop labelled vintage tripod head for £15 and thought it would be a neat addition to my collection. No real info about on the web but I think its circa 1920's which is way older than any of my lenses but still cool imho. Works great as well although I needed to add some light machine oil to get it functioning smoothly. Find it amazing this design has hardly changed in 100 years and you can still buy its equivalent today for a lot more than I picked this up for.
Just thought I would share. :)
5P8A0877.jpg
5P8A0868.jpg

Last edited:
My new Macro set-up:

full

Rolleiflex 6003 Pro
Prism Finder
Rollei Belows with focus rail
Reversing adapter
Rollei Zeiss PQ 80mm f2.8 (Reversed)
Will be using Metz 45CT4 TTL Flash
Mmm , Tasty :cool:

Been collecting old m42 lenses for use on my DSLR for a couple years. I have a few different Meyer-Optik ones which I really like. Yesterday I came across this in an antique shop labelled vintage tripod head for £15 and thought it would be a neat addition to my collection. No real info about on the web but I think its circa 1920's which is way older than any of my lenses but still cool imho. Works great as well although I needed to add some light machine oil to get it functioning smoothly. Find it amazing this design has hardly changed in 100 years and you can still buy its equivalent today for a lot more than I picked this up for.
Just thought I would share. :)
View attachment 415790
View attachment 415789
Looks like a wonderful accessory. Instead of light machine oil I would suggest Renaissance Wax, https://www.preservationequipment.com/Catalogue/Cleaning-Products/Cleaning-Agents/Renaissance-Wax, if the components are cleaned using this compound everything will work smoothly, work a little bit into the joints carefully. You have to be very meticulous and patient with the application and only use the minimum amount. Possible machine wax, used carefully with work as well, I suspect it could be very similar (and it is less expensive), https://www.axminstertools.com/axminster-tool-protection-wax-105807. I've used both for machinery I can't tell the difference. The problem with oil is that it will bleed or diffuse onto other things.

I recently got a Pentax (K) SMC 55/1.8 lens which appears to have no fungus, no haze and no separation! I'm very pleased as it's a nice lens (supposedly the same optical formula as the later Takumar 55/1.8) with smoother bokeh than my Helios 44k 58/2.

I am looking for a Pentax SMC M 28/2 if anyone on here has one they are not using. UK fleabay prices are absurd, so I'm eyeing up the Japanese options. Duty & VAT do make them more expensive, but the way I look at it, it's a public service to increase the UK population of nice lenses!

Reactions: zx9
Looks like a wonderful accessory. Instead of light machine oil I would suggest Renaissance Wax, https://www.preservationequipment.com/Catalogue/Cleaning-Products/Cleaning-Agents/Renaissance-Wax, if the components are cleaned using this compound everything will work smoothly, work a little bit into the joints carefully. You have to be very meticulous and patient with the application and only use the minimum amount. Possible machine wax, used carefully with work as well, I suspect it could be very similar (and it is less expensive), https://www.axminstertools.com/axminster-tool-protection-wax-105807. I've used both for machinery I can't tell the difference. The problem with oil is that it will bleed or diffuse onto other things.
Thanks for the tips Peter, the oil is what I had to hand but I will order some of that protection wax and do a full disassembly at some point. My neighbour might even have some dotting about as he is a machinist with a full workshop out back. :)

Well, I've been a busy boy since blowing the dust off my old Minolta X500.

I only ever had a 50mm f/1.7 to pair it with, but I've since expanded the range of primes as well as the zooms from my previous post.

Now have:

Minolta MDII 28mm f/2.8
Minolta MDII 35mm f/1.8
Minolta MDIII 50mm f/1.4 (I used the 1.7 in this pic as it's better cosmetically)
Minolta MDIII 135mm f/3.5

TP52 2024 Week 07 (ALMOST) WHOLE2 by Kell, on Flickr

Last edited:
And then yesterday I took delivery of this tatty-looking 24mm f/2.8.

It was described as having some pitting to one part of the outer (which it did) but optically good (which it appears to be).

Still on the hunt for an 85mm though.

IMG_5431.jpeg

Last edited:
Well, I've been a busy boy since blowing the dust off my old Minolta X500.

I only ever had a 50mm f/1.7 to pair it with, but I've since expanded the range of primes as well as the zooms from my previous post.

Now have:

Minolta MDII 28mm f/2.8
Minolta MDII 35mm f/1.8
Minolta MDIII 50mm f/1.4 (I used the 1.7 in this pic as it's better cosmetically)
Minolta MDIII 135mm f/3.5

TP52 2024 Week 07 (ALMOST) WHOLE2 by Kell, on Flickr
Lucky you......Minolta primes have a VG reputation, one of the sharpest primes I have is the ordinary MD 50mm F1.7. Also have the Rokkor -pF 58mm f1.4 but haven't used in years and forgotten my opinion on it without wading thru' my jpgs. :rolleyes:

From MS Hobbies
rsz_1img_20240305_102715025.jpg

Minox iiis and EC with flash cube adapter. The flash cubes and battery adapter came from elsewhere. The EC had issues but Paul at MS Hobbies resolved them.

The film (x5) came from the US so I've now got 10 usable Minox plastic cassettes for the above and my Minox B. It's been a struggle to get the cassettes for me to reload. Used are in short supply and the new ones containing film from Blue Moon Camera aren't currently available in the UK.

That’s an f2.8, looks like Chris is after an f2.
Yes, I've got a couple of Vivitar 28/2.8 lenses, and a Pentax M 28/3.5, looking for the f/2, and definitely the Pentax one!

With worries about the capacitor on my Minolta X500, I figured I'd pick up another just in case. This one has a 12 month warranty.

x500 Chrome by Kell, on Flickr

Came with a nice little 45mm Pancake f/2.

45 by Kell, on Flickr

Back