Official Talk Leica thread

Getting to grips with the Leica Q

The Street where I live - there's always a "bin"

f1.7

TP_Q_Street_1.jpg

90mm lens

does anyone use a 90mm lens on their Leica M - LTM or M mount?

if so can they share their experience of using such a lens

90mm lens

does anyone use a 90mm lens on their Leica M - LTM or M mount?

if so can they share their experience of using such a lens

Hi, I have 3 Leica M mount 90mm lenses (Tele-Elmarit-M, Elmarit-M, Elmar). I have shown pics taken with all of them.

Using a 90mm lens on a Leica without live view like my M9 is not a pure pleasure. Focusing is not easy. I use my 90s not very often.

Hi, I have 3 Leica M mount 90mm lenses (Tele-Elmarit-M, Elmarit-M, Elmar). I have shown pics taken with all of them.

Using a 90mm lens on a Leica without live view like my M9 is not a pure pleasure. Focusing is not easy. I use my 90s not very often.

Thanks Immo

are they Rangefinder coupled? - i.e. focus normally using the RF system

:agree: I have 2 an Elmar-c f4 and an early Elmar f4 but like Immo (@justpix) I rarely use them on my M9 (in fact I almost never take them out with me) I much prefer my 75mm Summarit-m f2.5 (I knoww w Immo has e also). I think 90 is just a bit too long to really use easily on Ms without a Livee View capability.

Last edited:
Thanks guys - I was thinking about a 90mm - but I have the Nikon 105mm f1.4E so I think I'll "chicken out" and use that with my Zf - we, (with my wife), are going on a trip for a few days and I want to try to keep the size/weight down to fit into a small-ish Billingham bag - the Q + the 105mm will fit in the middle section bag although the lens hood does not help, and if I take the 40mm f2 lens off the Zf I can squeeze them plus the FTZ into the small front compartment - I then get AF with the 105mm and the Zf....... with my eye sight, I wear glasses, that will be far more sensible/convenient!!

Last edited:
Thanks guys - I was thinking about a 90mm - but I have the Nikon 105mm f1.4E so I think I'll "chicken out" and use that with my Zf - we, (with my wife), are going on a trip for a few days and I want to try to keep the size/weight down to fit into a small-ish Billingham bag - the Q + the 105mm will fit in the middle section bag although the lens hood does not help, and if I take the 40mm f2 lens off the Zf I can squeeze them plus the FTZ into the small front compartment - I then get AF with the 105mm and the Zf....... with my eye sight, I wear glasses, that will be far more sensible/convenient!!

Hi, you will have more fun with that combination, I think. - For some time, I have been putting off buying a SONY 1,8/85 lens, the main reason being that this would reduce
my time of short tele lens use even more ... ---

Hi, you will have more fun with that combination, I think. - For some time, I have been putting off buying a SONY 1,8/85 lens, the main reason being that this would reduce
my time of short tele lens use even more ... ---
Thanks Immo, but the downside is that the 105 f1.4E is a big heavy lump which is what I was trying to avoid

Q users

I'm finding that in normal use - I'm, well the camera settings, are mostly blowing the highlights with "the white" being difficult to recover

Depending on the light, it's now getting brighter, I've started adding up to 1 stop of under-exposure as detail in "the blacks" are a lot easier to recover

so rather than "expose to the right" - I'm using "expose to the left"

any thoughts?

Q users

I'm finding that in normal use - I'm, well the camera settings, are mostly blowing the highlights with "the white" being difficult to recover

Depending on the light, it's now getting brighter, I've started adding up to 1 stop of under-exposure as detail in "the blacks" are a lot easier to recover

so rather than "expose to the right" - I'm using "expose to the left"

any thoughts?
Metering mode??

I have the Metering mode in my favourites, so it's easy to change - so it's sometimes Centre-weighted and sometimes Spot depending on the subject
Both of those meter over very limited areas, so you are always in danger of blowing the highlights.

On the Q you only other option is Multifield - for general purpose shooting this should retain the highlights better (but you probably knew that!)

Both of those meter over very limited areas, so you are always in danger of blowing the highlights.

On the Q you only other option is Multifield - for general purpose shooting this should retain the highlights better (but you probably knew that!)

Thanks, underexposing seem to work for me as there seems to be more detail in the "blacks" than the "whites", using this approach + LR and the ability to Layer,(or Mask as they call it), gets around it. for me anyway

another question - how does that stupid button, (default = frame lines), on the rear just below the speed dial work, I've tried every which way - most of the time I have a problem even pressing it and can I for the life of me get it to lock on focus or F and E ......... a lot easier with the back button focus on my D850

Don't get me wrong - it's a lovely camera

Last edited:
Thanks, underexposing seem to work for me as there seems to be more detail in the "blacks" than the "whites", using this approach + LR and the ability to Layer,(or Mask as they call it), gets around it. for me anyway

another question - how does that stupid button, (default = frame lines), on the rear just below the speed dial work, I've tried every which way - most of the time I have a problem even pressing it and can I for the life of me get it to lock on focus or F and E ......... a lot easier with the back button focus on my D850

Don't get me wrong - it's a lovely camera
Underexposing means you are losing dynamic range - this may or may not matter to you!

You can set fn button to AFL - I don’t generally use BBF so haven’t set mine!

Underexposing means you are losing dynamic range - this may or may not matter to you!

You can set fn button to AFL - I don’t generally use BBF so haven’t set mine!

Thanks again

The Button for AFL and AFL/AEL - seems to be once to register and then once to lock - and then again to unlock

(I take it all back - the button works well once you get used to it, and can remember how to use it)

Last edited:
Back