Painted Apple

MWHCVT

In Memoriam
Name
Matthew
Edit My Images
Yes
This evening I've had a little bit of fun with a torch and a apple to create my photo of the day as a part of my challenge 365 (y) this was done in a nice dark room so as to not have any extra unwanted light :cool:

I started with the torch to provide a nice light burst to the rear of the apple and then after about 5-6 seconds I then moved the light to illuminate the front on the apple :D

294/365 by mwhcvt, on Flickr

C&C is very much welcome and appreciated and if you have any questions please ask :D

Matt
MWHCVT

I know it's just an apple, but I do like it, the only thing I would say is maybe if you diffused the flash / light more so there wasn't any glare?

I know it's just an apple, but I do like it, the only thing I would say is maybe if you diffused the flash / light more so there wasn't any glare?

I have to agree that know that you've pointed that glare it's really annoying me :bang: I should point out that there was no flash all done with a little torch in a single exposure :D

Thanks for your comments :D

Matt

Likin that Matt nice WB works well, has a 3d effect, like stands out I feel I could pick it up, did you try any wider shots as for me its a little cramped in frame if you know what I mean, although I do like the comp just think you went in a bit to far, Id back off a bit, fab exposure though good enough to eat (y)

Likin that Matt nice WB works well, has a 3d effect, like stands out I feel I could pick it up, did you try any wider shots as for me its a little cramped in frame if you know what I mean, although I do like the comp just think you went in a bit to far, Id back off a bit, fab exposure though good enough to eat (y)

Thanks Dave, you wish is my command as they say (y) I'm pleased that you like it the whole idea was to make it look as real as possible :D

APPLE EDIT by mwhcvt, on Flickr

Matt

less tightly cropped makes all the difference nice shot

Nice second shot Matt :clap:- I played with this method some time ago- works on an unlimited amout of subjects, my best being a glass of red wine

Youve prompted me to have another play- I usually set the camera to f22 and a 30 sec exposure ISO 100 and use a very small maglite to provide the light

Now wheres that torch :LOL:

Les (y)

When I first looked at the shot, I thought there was something not right but could not put my finger on it. Then Dave hit the nail on the head, there needs to be more spqace around the apple. Then I saw the edit and I think thats about right except for the glare of the torch.

lartamax said:
less tightly cropped makes all the difference nice shot

Thanks I think your right (y)

Lez325 said:
Nice second shot Matt :clap:- I played with this method some time ago- works on an unlimited amout of subjects, my best being a glass of red wine

Youve prompted me to have another play- I usually set the camera to f22 and a 30 sec exposure ISO 100 and use a very small maglite to provide the light

Now wheres that torch :LOL:

Les (y)

I'm going to have more of a play with the idea soon (y) incidentally I also used a small maglight

Just Dave said:
The wider shot looks much better to me, (y) still has that I can pick it up feel to the shot (y)

:clap: you were right Dave wider works well (y) I'm pleased it not affected the pick it up/3D effect (y)

Digitall said:
When I first looked at the shot, I thought there was something not right but could not put my finger on it. Then Dave hit the nail on the head, there needs to be more spqace around the apple. Then I saw the edit and I think thats about right except for the glare of the torch.

I'm going to have to have a go and try and do it without the catch light/glare, I'm pleased you liked it (y)

Matt

Have ago at cutting a hole in the back of the apple, enough to get a small torch (10p size led ) into the apple and just use the light that comes from inside the apple.

Digitall said:
Hi Matt, why don't you try the torch at the rear and reflect the light onto the front of the apple. It might be bright enough :shrug:

That may be worth a go I'll have another go soon and give that a try (y)

captainjack said:
Have ago at cutting a hole in the back of the apple, enough to get a small torch (10p size led ) into the apple and just use the light that comes from inside the apple.

I really like that idea I'll have to try that :naughty: just have to hollow out an apple first :thinking: shouldn't be too hard

Matt

Def the second is better, as said, feels like you can reach out and pick it up:clap:

would love to see the led idea(y)

Nice work this is something I must try, now the dark wet nights are drawing in I expect we will see more creative photography.

Def the second is better, as said, feels like you can reach out and pick it up:clap:

would love to see the led idea(y)

Well it it works you will see it tonight (y) as I plan on sitting down and hollowing out a apple tonight for my POTD so watch this space :naughty:

Nice work this is something I must try, now the dark wet nights are drawing in I expect we will see more creative photography.

Well this section is the place your going to find all the creativity (y) at least I hope so, and hopefully you will be posting plenty of threads in here (y)

Matt
MWHCVT

Given Tim's suggestion above I've given it a go HERE

Matt
MWHCVT

Liking this, great subject and lighting. Just want to pick it up and take a bite, mouth watering..

Matthew that is splendid (y) The wider shot is my preference also :) Might I suggest a drop of water on the apple? Of course that would increase the reflective issues...but...the pick up and eat quotient should be increased... Just an idea :shrug:

Tina you may just have given me an idea for my photo of the day for another day soon (y) I don't want to overload my challenge with fruit but will give water a go soon (y) I'm pleased that you like it :D

Liking this, great subject and lighting. Just want to pick it up and take a bite, mouth watering..

Great, thank you, that's just the kind of reaction that I was looking to evoke, make it look as real as possible

Matt
MWHCVT

Back