Ruined church in Essex

Edit My Images
No
Hi

I am trying to find the address of a ruined church in Essex I have seen pictures of it but i cant find an address. I think it is in Arlesford or colchester.

anyone know where it is?

A link to the pics may be helpful.

It's had alot of police activity recently. I thought pm'ing would be better.

Hi

I am trying to find the address of a ruined church in Essex I have seen pictures of it but i cant find an address. I think it is in Arlesford or colchester.

anyone know where it is?

are you talking about St Boltolphs priory Colchester ?

http://www.english-heritage.org.uk/daysout/properties/colchester-st-botolphs-priory/directions

Its a nice location but EH get funny about photography if they think you are a proffesional (usually defined by them as big fancy cameras and tripods) - Also things like wirewool spins will almst certainly be out of the question - which is a shame as that main arcade would make a fantastic spinning venue

Alternately did you mean St Martins (also in colchester) which isnt a ruin per se but has lost its tower - its owned by the church conservation trust and now operated as an arts centre

or you may be thinking of St Peters at Arlesford which is also a ruin - its wiki entry here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alresford,_Essex has map reffeences and stuff

and as you can tell from the above i agree with jim - this section is for location information , share the knowledge don't hide it away in pms

Last edited:
Arlesford is a tiny village. They've had alot of problems there and I did share the location with the op. I don't think it needed to be posted public ally. You have no idea what's gone on there and what youve said is incredibly rude!

I have had no idea what's gone on there, care to enlighten me?

Arlesford is a tiny village. They've had alot of problems there and I did share the location with the op. I don't think it needed to be posted public ally. You have no idea what's gone on there and what youve said is incredibly rude!

Its already on flipping wikipedia - so its hardly closely held information, and it took me less than 5 minuites to find it with google so i really doubt that putting its location on a photo forum is really going to make a lot of odds.

The point i was making is that the purpose of this section (as stated by matt when he asked for it to be set up) is to share location information with the whole TP community , not just the OP on any given thread.

Unless the location is actually secret (which this clearly is not) as with for example schedule one bird nesting sites , then there is no reason not to share openly

It would be more useful to post information on "what has been going on there" for everyone to see , so that any member can make an informed decision on whether to go there.

I'd also note that if you found my post above 'incredibly rude' you must have led an extremly sheltered life up to now.

First of all, just because I'm new here and I like to try and be helfpul, here's a wee linky to Google Maps with the location of St. Peter's in Alresford. As you said though Pete, there's plenty of info about on the web. :)

About the 'trouble' in Alresford, my girlfriend works in the village and I have a friend that lives there. Neither have mentioned any problems and there's nothing in the local press. From that I would guess that whatever the concerns are, it shouldn't affect or be affected by anyone just wanting to shoot some photos.

As another point of note, there's also a very pleasant area on a river further down the road from the church, if such things also appeal.

First of all, just because I'm new here and I like to try and be helfpul, here's a wee linky to Google Maps with the location of St. Peter's in Alresford. .

(y) that's the spirit we are talking about :clap::clap::clap:

Welcome to TP btw

Last edited:
RE: Alresford
Thanks for sharing.

Tempted to try fording the creek at the end of the lane in the golf.. If it fails at least I'd make the 6pm news :clap:

Last edited:
This church was burned down in the early seventies and has connections to White witches supposedly, I think you just need to be respectful of the fact it is near people's homes and has also become a meeting place for teenagers on a dare to scare the whatever out of each other! Me included many years ago! Feelings can still run high about things like this but I am not aware of any problems as such, Arlesford is a lovely place.

Back