Sony RX Series United Thread (Any RX Camera)

:):):)

Yet another one of my snaps in "Flickr Explore" this morning. Captured using once again my fabulous "Sony RX100M6". I must admit I absolutely love this little camera and the quality of images that it can produce.

For street style photography in my very honest opinion there's not another camera that comes even close to the RX100 series of cameras and probably the RX100M7 has the edge on mine with slightly faster focussing and good subject tracking and one or two other improvements, but optically its exactly the same so the results are virtually identical.

A friend of mine who I meet up with from time to time is a very well known mainly London based street photographer and who has several books published on photography (that I know some of you have at least one of his books) also has an RX100M7 in his pocket at all times and uses it for some of his street photography. Although he is heavily sponsored by another camera manufacturer so sorry no names for obvious reasons.

:sony:

Last edited:
I've seen some great images with wonderful colours and atmosphere from the Fuji X100 series. And also from Leicas but yes, the RX100 is up there with the best for image quality.

Congrats on Explore. :)

Many thanks for that Garry, I shall still be upgrading to the M7 unit just as soon as Panamoz have them back in stock. Although MPB do have several used units in stock at the moment that look quite nice, I really would prefer to by new if possible at a reasonable price.

Many thanks for that Garry, I shall still be upgrading to the M7 unit just as soon as Panamoz have them back in stock. Although MPB do have several used units in stock at the moment that look quite nice, I really would prefer to by new if possible at a reasonable price.

When you get it, remember to keep an eye on the charging port cover. They can come off and be lost before you know it. The M6 is probably similar.

When you get it, remember to keep an eye on the charging port cover. They can come off and be lost before you know it. The M6 is probably similar.

I wasn't aware of that Garry, my M6 is still in perfect condition and I've had it for four years now. The only thing that is not quite right is the pop-up view finder goes out of adjustment after several applications which I know was a fault with the early M6 units but apparently corrected in later batches and of course the M7. I try to cushion it with a finger etc when activating it and I've also got round the problem reasonably well using a tiny piece of blu-tack on the little adjuster.

The M7 is still a little sensitive to that. I found that pushing the Fn button and aiming the camera at the ground is the best way to see whether the dioptre is adjusted correctly. Avoids all kinds of bad-light squinting or belligerent people thinking you're taking multiple photos of them. That little wheel is so fiddly, especially if you cut your nails. Or if you don't.

The M7 is still a little sensitive to that. I found that pushing the Fn button and aiming the camera at the ground is the best way to see whether the dioptre is adjusted correctly. Avoids all kinds of bad-light squinting or belligerent people thinking you're taking multiple photos of them. That little wheel is so fiddly, especially if you cut your nails. Or if you don't.

That's a good little tip many thanks, I'll be out & about tomorrow snapping so I'll give that a go if it should go out of adjustment. When I need to adjust mine I always get the reading in the bottom of the viewfinder correct ie shutter speed & aperture etc, never on a focused image.

Last edited:
That's a good little tip many thanks, I'll be out & about tomorrow snapping so I'll give that a go if it should go out of adjustment. When I need to adjust mine I always get the reading in the bottom of the viewfinder correct ie shutter speed & aperture etc, never on a focused image.

That's why I press the Fn button. You get a whole screen full of text to check for focus.

That's why I press the Fn button. You get a whole screen full of text to check for focus.

Yep, realize that now just never thought of that. I've just tried it and hey it works real good, I guess we all learn something new every day.

I've been looking at MPB and London Camera Exchange, initially for a used RX100VI, and then RX100VII. I got a quote off MPB to p/x my RX100III for a RX100VI, and the numbers they offered were £215 for the M3, and were selling a M6 £769, and so £554 to pay, should they think the quality of the M3 as I described. I then decided on a M7(because of the built in intervalometer), which they have a couple at £854. That would work out a £639. I was then looking on eBay, and a couple of M7's were going a lot cheaper than £854.

So I set a £750 budget and started looking on eBay. I figured if I got a M7 for that, minus at least £200ish from MPB, or similar from selling the M3 privately, and it could work out similar to the M3/M6 deal from MPB. There may also be some accessories too, which there would not be with an online retailer deal.

I got one a RX100VII a couple of weeks ago on eBay for £750, but when I received it, rather than be a scrape on one corner, the base plate had actually come away slightly. So I returned that, and the seller was great throughout thankfully. I bid on another last week, and lost out when it went above my £750 limit. That had a metal screw on grip, 4x batteries, battery pouch and multi battery charger. Eventually going for £780. :(

I bid on another a few days later, 2x batteries, and 2x Sony Shooting Grips, filter kit with 3x filters and case. Amazingly I was able to win that for £740! :oops: :$ :) The camera came within two days. The camera is as new. After going through the menu's and making changes, I was alarmed that the battery ran out very quickly, even for this type of camera. I worked out that turning on a Display Quality setting to High had a huge hit on battery life. So turned that back to Standard, and so far so good. :) I won't ever use the Shooting Grip's, and possibly not the filters either. So if I can sell them, I could recoup some more £'s. Always accrue the batteries though, the achilles heel of the RX100 cameras, especially if Timelapes area thing for you. ;) :LOL:

Btw, I would get in touch with Panamoz to see whether they expect to get any more RX100 VII's. Not having stock for so long may indicate that Sony may not be making any more cameras, and just have stocks they are supplying to shops.

Last edited:
Btw, I would get in touch with Panamoz to see whether they expect to get any more RX100 VII's. Not having stock for so long may indicate that Sony may not be making any more cameras, and just have stocks they are supplying to shops.

Good point I'll do just that, E-Infinity have some but they've recently had some bad reports so I'm a little sceptical about using them at the moment.

Sorry Mistaken Posting.

Last edited:
Sorry Mistaken Posting.

Last edited:
I’ve got the mk4 which I bought 7/8 years ago and i’m only just about to start using it. Has anyone got any important must change settings or tips for me to consider? Mainly using it for stills when I’m bikepacking

I’ve got the mk4 which I bought 7/8 years ago and i’m only just about to start using it. Has anyone got any important must change settings or tips for me to consider? Mainly using it for stills when I’m bikepacking
I would say look through what options are available to be set in the Function menu, and choose the options you think you may find most useful, or change most often. Once you have done that there is less need to go into the main settings menu, which is not the friendliest or most logical out there. ;)

I think on my cameras I have;
Drive mode
White Balance
Metering mode
Focus mode
Focus area
Auto ISO setting on/off
ISO
Face AF on/off
Exposure compensation

I bought a Mk I RX100 a while ago to sit in my bag so I always have a camera with me at work (phone camera is awful). But the last few days in Prague were the only times I have used it seriously. The menus drive me mad, the handling is tricky as I am used to bigger cameras but I'm super happy with the quality.

1. Spanish Synagogue
Prague VIII by Ian, on Flickr

2. Astronomical clock
Prague XIV by Ian, on Flickr

3. Charles Bridge
Prague X by Ian, on Flickr

4. The view from my son's flat
Prague IV by Ian, on Flickr

Thanks for looking

Last edited:
I bought a Mk I RX100 a while ago to sit in my bag so I always have a camera with me at work (phone camera is awful). But the last few days in Prague were the only times I have used it seriously. The menus drive me mad, the handling is tricky as I am used to bigger cameras but I'm super happy with the quality.

1. Spanish Synagogue
Prague VIII by Ian, on Flickr

2. Astronomical clock
Prague XIV by Ian, on Flickr

3. Charles Bridge
Prague X by Ian, on Flickr

4. The view from my son's flat
Prague IV by Ian, on Flickr

Thanks for looking

Very nice set of out & about style captures Ian, with some fine detail and nicely presented.

The first substantial snowfall of the Winter along the River Don here in Aberdeen.
There was a frosty haze and the sun illuminating it gave the scene an ethereal yellow glow.
Sony RX100vii

Winter Has Arrived!! by Mike Stephen, on Flickr

"Excellent" winter landscape style capture Mike, nothing more to be said.

"Cracking" set of winter landscape style captures Mike, you sure do get some very nice pic's with that RX100vii.
Cheers George (y)
I've been really lazy when shooting with the RX100vii
Normally I shoot with my BIG cameras on a tripod but the RX images are all hand-held.
Most of my first attempts from along the river suffered from camera shake so my latest shots have been captured at ISO 640 in Av mode.
Looking at some of the shutter speeds I've been getting is eye watering so I need to drop the ISO for cleaner shots.

A few Winter images from around the River Don, Aberdeen.
All taken with the RX100vii

Riverside Bench by Mike Stephen, on Flickr

Winter Time by Mike Stephen, on Flickr

Persley Bridge by Mike Stephen, on Flickr

River Don by Mike Stephen, on Flickr

Mike, I've been having a look at these pic's and some others on your Flickr stream (they look even better on there) and these really are remarkably good quality by any standards and all snapped at 640 ISO and bitingly sharp matey. You really do know how to get the best out of these little cameras, I'm quite simply amazed at just what high quality can be had from them.

No Longer Available.

Last edited:
I picked up a long wanted RX100 7 last week, so I could have a camera with me most of the time when out.

It will take a bit of getting used to as it's so small but I'm quite impressed with the quality of the images from my first outing with it this morning.

TP 52 23 Week 2 Incomplete by Peter C, on Flickr

Roche Abbey by Peter C, on Flickr

Two very nice architectural type captures Peter, liking both of these very much.

"You'll be surprised at just how good these little units are, I've got the M6 same lens etc and I have had some amazingly high quality results from it. Looking forward to seeing some more of your pic's"

Back