Sypathetic Lighting for Elderly Subjects

Name
let me think....Donald
Edit My Images
Yes
I took some (using on camera flash) of a good freind who is a senior citizen. She likes the pictures but commented "Why do you always make me look so old and wrinkly?" Other than softening the light through a reflector or softbox what should I do differently to make the pictures more appealing to her?

I would say you already have the answer, soften the light and dont make it too directional as that will create shadows that will emphasise severe wrinkles....and maybe a little bit of clarity blurring or similar in pp afterwards if she isn't averse to that ;)

Thanks Yv for the reply.

I've been playing with the various blurring options but not liked the results so far. I quite like some of the effects but they all seemed too extreme. I think I will have to try nagging her to let me have a proper session with her rather than trying to catch candids when I am forced to use the flash on the camera.

Donald

Last edited:
I'm taking that you understand you need softer light.
The trick with softening is to be subtle. Use a layer mask or similar technique to just soften as required.

As a side note we photographers put a lot of effort into getting gear that gives us the sharpest images, but most of the work I make money from has a lot of effort put into knocking the sharpness back out!

Thanks for the reply - If you'd ever seen me you'd understand subtle is difficult for me:) but I will keep trying to get to something she likes.

Plan A: Softboxes / diffused light through net cutrains (oldies allways have these on hand)

Plan B: Portrait Pro - Smooth her out until she looks like a teen

Plan C: Convince her of the aesthetic qualities of texture in photographs...

Thanks for the replies - they all help

Plan B - yuk
Plan C - tried that, not very succesful

That leave Pan A - I'm picking up a pair of softboxes with my new lights next week and will get her in to take some more and see if I can please her.

Back