The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

I have found that, not sure how, but it only works if I look at the touch screen, I can't look through the viewfinder and move the focus point, only if I look at the touch screen. That is helpful, but I would like to move it whilst looking through the viewfinder, so I can point at the exact part I want to focus at. Is that possible?
It should be able to do that, there must be a setting somewhere. Unfortunately I don't have this camera so can't look where the setting would be.

Don't you also see the image on the rear screen, the same as the VF?
Yes the image is on both, I could use the screen to move the focus setting, but when I looked through the viewfinder it stopped me altering via the focus point on the screen, however... whilst out taking some photo's this morning, I did something, not sure what, and now I just push the center button, and then left right, up down, on the ring. So all is good now, thanks everyone for your help.

Last edited:
Tried 2 copies of the 35mm Samyang 2.8 and both were pretty whiney when focussing.

Is this a Samyang thing or just apparent in this lens. I have found some posts online of people complaining about the noise but nothing about their other lenses such as the 1.8 version.

Tried 2 copies of the 35mm Samyang 2.8 and both were pretty whiney when focussing.

Is this a Samyang thing or just apparent in this lens. I have found some posts online of people complaining about the noise but nothing about their other lenses such as the 1.8 version.
the older lenses had noisy AF motors. But they have since improved a lot. All the f1.8 lenses and mk2 f1.4 lenses should be quiet and smooth. AF for action can still be a bit hit and miss but I get 85-90% keepers which is good enough for me as I am not a professional (in comparison with Sony lenses I can get close to 100% or at least 95+% hit rate).

Last edited:

The 35mm f1.8, 35mm f1.8 and 50mm f1.4 II were all pretty quiet from my experience. I don’t recall the 18mm being bad either.

Sammy's aren't usually especially noisy. My 35 f2.8 isn't outrageous and nothing like a screw drive lens.

On the Sony A7CR I can press the bottom button to get a close up of the picture. Unfortunately there is no button on the right to make the picture smaller. You do it by turning the ring. Is there a way of assigning a button to do the job?

On the Sony A7CR I can press the bottom button to get a close up of the picture. Unfortunately there is no button on the right to make the picture smaller. You do it by turning the ring. Is there a way of assigning a button to do the job?
There is on other Sonys so I’d assume you can on this as well, I’m at work so don’t have the camera at hand to see what the option is called.

As I've had man flu I haven't been able to get out so when Mrs WW accepted that I was well enough to go to church today I got all excited at the thought of taking a few snaps on the walk there. I mounted my TTArtisan 50mm f2 and made sure the sensor was clean. All ready to go. Then the boss said we should go by car as I still wasn't 100%. So no pictures :(

expecting in the region of £2-3K
I would really hope it is LESS. But of course it may be... Nikon 400mm f/4.5 is £2400 at panamoz so all depends if Sigma goes for OEM or 3rd party pricing. 15fps limit on Sony is not playing to their advantage right now....
It might be on my buy list eventually for the "right" price. A nice preloved 500mm f/4 is preferable but chances of bagging a recent one like Canon EF mkII within that figure are very slim.

I would really hope it is LESS. But of course it may be... Nikon 400mm f/4.5 is £2400 at panamoz so all depends if Sigma goes for OEM or 3rd party pricing. 15fps limit on Sony is not playing to their advantage right now....
It might be on my buy list eventually for the "right" price. A nice preloved 500mm f/4 is preferable but chances of bagging a recent one like Canon EF mkII within that figure are very slim.
15fps is not hugely limiting. Well my current camera(s) shoot at 10fps max anyway.
And when I did have the A1, I shot at 20fps max. I normally shot at 10/15fps for most things.

it would be nice if it was sub-2k.

The rumour on the lens includes "very fast AF on Sony A1", so maybe the 15fps 'limit' will be raised?

Not that it's a huge limit - it's not that long ago that a camera that managed 10fps was considered to be a top end sports model!

15fps is not hugely limiting. Well my current camera(s) shoot at 10fps max anyway.
And when I did have the A1, I shot at 20fps max. I normally shot at 10/15fps for most things.

it would be nice if it was sub-2k.
I don't think this would be a huge limitation for me today, but I can't say about tomorrow, particularly when dropping over £2k
I am not a pro wildlife or sports shooter so really I am not the actual target market here

All the big youtube names seem to agree that these crazy fps numbers can be really useful for wildlife, as in they can find a higher impact frame when shooting in this manner, obviously used very selectively and sparingly. So I would rather have the capability than not have it.

Also it depends on lens vignetting. If it is clean flat f/5.6 that's really nice, but f/11 equivalent edges would really knock down the value.

All the big youtube names seem to agree that these crazy fps numbers can be really useful for wildlife, as in they can find a higher impact frame when shooting in this manner, obviously used very selectively and sparingly. So I would rather have the capability than not have it.
I agree - it's not something to be used in general shooting, but the ability to switch quickly to these huge fps for a short burst to get that one frame that has everything aligned is something for sports, wildlife, etc. that will become important - because those that can (and have the skill to use the capability) will be able to consistently deliver images that are just that little bit better - and so will become the 'go to' source for such images if others can't deliver as reliably.

The rumour on the lens includes "very fast AF on Sony A1", so maybe the 15fps 'limit' will be raised?

Not that it's a huge limit - it's not that long ago that a camera that managed 10fps was considered to be a top end sports model!
Fast AF and frame rate are two separate things, I would expect the frame rate to still be limited.
Part of me thinks they're kidding themselves, I'm like nandbytes in that I turn my A1 down from max frame rate and I've never found it limiting. That being said if people do feel they need the crazy frame rates then why not, it doesn't do any harm and if they feel they can get "the" shot then great. I'm just glad I won't be the one sifting through all those files ;)

Really interested in that although not much use if there's no teleconverter available.

Mind you, not taken a picture for months now.
I forget third party can't take TC's, really disappointing.

Really interested in that although not much use if there's no teleconverter available.

Mind you, not taken a picture for months now.
I forget third party can't take TC's, really disappointing.

Yeah the lack of TC and 15fps is bit of a annoyance.
But both aren't a deal breaker for me. I would seldom use TCs with f5.6 lens and seldom need over 15fps.

The alternative is Sony 300mm f2.8+2x which gives you more reach but you are still stuck at 600mm anyway i.e. you can't at another TC.

But both aren't a deal breaker for me. I would seldom use TCs with f5.6 lens and seldom need over 15fps.

The alternative is Sony 300mm f2.8+2x which gives you more reach but you are still stuck at 600mm anyway i.e. you can't at another TC.
The Sony option is too expensive ;)

Well you can always gel L mount version... Or perhaps they will also do z mount eventually.

Some tests of 300mm GM with TCs too

Looks like by his standards, 300mmGM + 2X performance is around the same level as 200-600mm at 600mm
at 300mm and 420mm (with 1.4x) its better than 100-400GM and 200-600mm which is not a massive surprise tbh.

This lens might be "the one" for me to keep me on Sony. I am pretty sure there will be an A1II which will bring all the improvements of A7RV to A1 (of course affording it will a be a 10 year plan :p )

I think I will wait see what this sigma 500m f5.6 has to offer first but being able to shoot at 300mm f2.8 and 420mm f4 is really attractive.

Some tests of 300mm GM with TCs too

Looks like by his standards, 300mmGM + 2X performance is around the same level as 200-600mm at 600mm
at 300mm and 420mm (with 1.4x) its better than 100-400GM and 200-600mm which is not a massive surprise tbh.

This lens might be "the one" for me to keep me on Sony. I am pretty sure there will be an A1II which will bring all the improvements of A7RV to A1 (of course affording it will a be a 10 year plan :p )

I think I will wait see what this sigma 500m f5.6 has to offer first but being able to shoot at 300mm f2.8 and 420mm f4 is really attractive.
Well the 200-600mm ain't half bad at 600mm so it's clearly not to be sniffed at. I wonder if there's any thoughts on TC mark II's to further improve the 300mm?

Well the 200-600mm ain't half bad at 600mm so it's clearly not to be sniffed at. I wonder if there's any thoughts on TC mark II's to further improve the 300mm?

200-600mm is a fantastic lens. But suffers from a fair bit of focus breathing, so at closer distances it's said to be closer to 525mm.
If the 300GM is less prone to this you are also getting a bit of extra reach at closer focus distances which is nice.

This is the kind of lens I really wanted from Sony. But in some ways I prefer the Nikon's 400mm f4.5 because with 2x it can stretch to 800mm f9 but friend who owns it with Z8 tells me it's just better to crop than use 2x TC in most cases.
The other option is Z600mm f6.3 + 1.4x TC. But the issue there is I wouldn't have anything shorter. I'd like to have access to 400mm focal length at a minimum and I don't really want to buy another lens like 100-400mm.

Back