The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

I need to do some sharpness tests at some point before I decide to go the X100Vi route or not. There's other reasons stopping me. And a few reason's I'd like to. But I need to weigh things up.
I think the lens in the v and vi is supposed to be much better than the previous gens

I need to do some sharpness tests at some point before I decide to go the X100Vi route or not. There's other reasons stopping me. And a few reason's I'd like to. But I need to weigh things up.

What is it about the newer camera that attracts you or that you think the f lacks?

For me the f AF wasn't as snappy or consistent as that of the other cameras I have and I think that was an irritation but the issue which forced the sale was that as things added up I seemed to choose any other camera over it. I did like the controls of the X100s/f but on the whole I enjoyed using MFT more and the A7 much more.

I think the lens in the v and vi is supposed to be much better than the previous gens

As you might be able to tell from some of the lenses I use :D I don't think ultra sharpness or indeed very high lens quality are essential. I was happy enough with s and f lens performance but I can see how some people would want better performance.

What is it about the newer camera that attracts you or that you think the f lacks?

For me the f AF wasn't as snappy or consistent as that of the other cameras I have and I think that was an irritation but the issue which forced the sale was that as things added up I seemed to choose any other camera over it. I did like the controls of the X100s/f but on the whole I enjoyed using MFT more and the A7 much more.

The A7Riii (& A7) is my go to for sunrise/sunset/dedicated landscapes/night skies/etc etc No doubt about that.

I need to not compare the Sony vs Fuji IQ - which I don't really do in all honesty.

I accept that the X100f IQ is going to be lower but it's not too much of an issue right now. I use the Fuji for dog walks, daytime beach walks, street photos, when we go for a drive anywhere.... I don't know how big my 'little' messenger bag is, but it'll fit the X100f, Yashica film camera, batteries, drink, sunglasses and you don't even know you are carry it. It is nice. Also, going out with the drone & X100f is also a tiny messenger bag.

I haven't had any AF issues as of yet with it. The Vi obviously has the better lens, more megapixels!, flip screen, quicker AF - I think that's probably it, off the top of my head, that appeals.... But would I rather walk around the streets with an X100f that cost me £700 or an X100Vi that cost me £1600...??

The A7Riii (& A7) is my go to for sunrise/sunset/dedicated landscapes/night skies/etc etc No doubt about that.

I need to not compare the Sony vs Fuji IQ - which I don't really do in all honesty.

I accept that the X100f IQ is going to be lower but it's not too much of an issue right now. I use the Fuji for dog walks, daytime beach walks, street photos, when we go for a drive anywhere.... I don't know how big my 'little' messenger bag is, but it'll fit the X100f, Yashica film camera, batteries, drink, sunglasses and you don't even know you are carry it. It is nice. Also, going out with the drone & X100f is also a tiny messenger bag.

I haven't had any AF issues as of yet with it. The Vi obviously has the better lens, more megapixels!, flip screen, quicker AF - I think that's probably it, off the top of my head, that appeals.... But would I rather walk around the streets with an X100f that cost me £700 or an X100Vi that cost me £1600...??
I like the ‘idea’ of the X100 for dog walks, but I do tend to take more wide angle shots than ones at 35mm so I’m not sure how much I’d use it in reality. Not having the weight of the A1 and 16-35mm or 20-70mm is appealing though.

I like the ‘idea’ of the X100 for dog walks, but I do tend to take more wide angle shots than ones at 35mm so I’m not sure how much I’d use it in reality. Not having the weight of the A1 and 16-35mm or 20-70mm is appealing though.

As you know, I pretty much have the 35GM welded to the A7Riii so it's a similar way of looking at things really for me.

One good thing about the X100s/f is that they'll fit in the inside pocket of my lightest jacket quite nicely. The similarly sized GX80 and GX9 tended to tumble forward and were therefore uncomfortable in that pocket.

I wouldn't worry too much about it. A while back I decided I wouldn't wear my nice Swiss watches when going to slightly dodgy places. I live in a slightly dodgy place so a lot of places I go are slightly dodgy. Anyway. I bought some nice but very cheap Chinese mechanical watches to wear just in case I got mugged but I came to realise that when out taking pictures apart from comments from teenagers and accusation of pedophilia when I'm obviously not pointing a camera in anything like their direction, people asking me if I'm "from the council" and accusing looks from women who I'm also not pointing a camera at I've never felt physically threatened. Not really. Also this is our hobby and what's the point of kit if we're not going to use it?

I wouldn't worry too much about it. A while back I decided I wouldn't wear my nice Swiss watches when going to slightly dodgy places. I live in a slightly dodgy place so a lot of places I go are slightly dodgy. Anyway. I bought some nice but very cheap Chinese mechanical watches to wear just in case I got mugged but I came to realise that when out taking pictures apart from comments from teenagers and accusation of pedophilia when I'm obviously not pointing a camera in anything like their direction, people asking me if I'm "from the council" and accusing looks from women who I'm also not pointing a camera at I've never felt physically threatened. Not really. Also this is our hobby and what's the point of kit if we're not going to use it?

Yeah, I grew up and don't live in a posh area now. Very far from it. Bristol just feels horrible now though at times. But that's a different subject I guess. I can't remember the lady time I went into the town shopping/centre area aside from the odd Sunday morning harbourside walk.

Just remembered this quick comparison I made when I bought my first Sony.

CFq-3TKgS32Gl0j61RDx_w.jpg

Not a huge size difference! An A7RII & Samyang 35 f2.8 would give you the MP, flip screen, fast enough focus and cost way closer to the F than the VI

As you might be able to tell from some of the lenses I use :D I don't think ultra sharpness or indeed very high lens quality are essential. I was happy enough with s and f lens performance but I can see how some people would want better performance.

For me, the appearance of the image is more important than absolute sharpness or detail, but sometimes you need the detail too. I do like my old Sony A mount 50 f1.4, but can't use it all the time because the flaws are too prominent.

View attachment 423241

Not a huge size difference! An A7RII & Samyang 35 f2.8 would give you the MP, flip screen, fast enough focus and cost way closer to the F than the VI
I didn't realise how much smaller the original A7 was compared to the modern cameras, not 'that' much difference to the X100 as you show. However, compared to my A1 there's a more significant difference in size, and weight too.

Screenshot 2024-05-18 at 12.20.03.jpgScreenshot 2024-05-18 at 12.20.12.jpg

View attachment 423241

I have the 35GM though :ROFLMAO:

And it's the experience of using it. I tend to shoot using the OVF in a rangefinder style. It's literally like using a digital film camera how I shoot.

I have the 35GM though :ROFLMAO:

And it's the experience of using it. I tend to shoot using the OVF in a rangefinder style. It's literally like using a digital film camera how I shoot.
Using the ovf was how I shot with the X100og and the X100S. Somewhere between the T and the F I switched to EVF and by the time I got the V I think I’d forgotten about the OVF.

I think if I’d been more sensible I’d have stuck with the F. When I upgraded to the V I got a good refurb from Amazon and sold it when the prices had started to rise but by then the F had jumped too much in price.

I’d pick one up again if the hype train ever stops.

For me, the appearance of the image is more important than absolute sharpness or detail, but sometimes you need the detail too. I do like my old Sony A mount 50 f1.4, but can't use it all the time because the flaws are too prominent.

Most of my pictures are just viewed on my lap top or a tablet or phone screen. I rarely print and the last prints I did were only A4 and even at full screen or A4 print a lot is hidden. For example the Pergear 35mm has field curvature and can be sharp in the centre and sharper in the corners than the mid frame areas away from the centre but you can't really see this in a full image whole screen or even A4. That's not the only lens I have that would have issues if you pixel peeped the frame.

Most of my pictures are just viewed on my lap top or a tablet or phone screen. I rarely print and the last prints I did were only A4 and even at full screen or A4 print a lot is hidden. For example the Pergear 35mm has field curvature and can be sharp in the centre and sharper in the corners than the mid frame areas away from the centre but you can't really see this in a full image whole screen or even A4. That's not the only lens I have that would have issues if you pixel peeped the frame.

Trust me, the 50 f1.4 doesn't require any pixel-peeping to see the flaws, and that's probably true for many older lenses as well as more recent budget stuff. I wouldn't easily spot most of the issues on a 15" laptop screen, but on a 27" monitor or printed to A4 the weaknesses are often obvious.

I've just been going through some potential zine images, and shot at f8 using the 24-105 G zoom I can see stuff in the edge that makes me dis-satisfied with the pictures without need 100%. Once it's printed to A4 then if you *look* for flaws they'll be there to see, even with my poor eyesight.

Maybe I'm just not too picky.

I really like these two, I've posted both before. I the first taken with the Pergear 35mm f1.4 and the second with the TTArtisan 50mm f2. Both these lenses are poor by todays standards or I suppose by the standards of the last 50 years and both have multiple issues. The attraction of both for me include small size, Sony mount so no adapter needed and cheap : D How good they are is really quite low down on the list.

1-DSC02684.jpg

1-DSC02467.jpg

Mrs WW asked for that 2nd one to be printed and framed and it looks ok. I have quite a few pictures that I really like from these two lenses.

I've bought something.

It's not a 50 year old lens. Shock. Horror.

It's not a cheap manual focus Chinese lens.

It's not a car. No more room.

It's not a watch. I have too many.

It is photography related.

It'll be here tomorrow.

Just posted this in the happy thread but thought I might post it here too.

It's my birthday today and as far as I can remember the first one alone as Mrs WW is in Thailand for 6 months looking after her mam and of course my mam who we looked after died last September. I wasn't really in a birthday mood but at church I got a lot of cards and was presented with this as everyone sang happy birthday.

A7 and Sony 35mm f1.8, f5 and ISO 20,000, then ran through denoise.

DSC05725-Enhanced-NR.jpg

It's massive and there's lots left for the tea/coffee morning.

Cheers everyone. If I could hand out cake to you all I would :D I certainly have plenty :D

Last edited:

It's my birthday today and as far as I can remember the first one alone as Mrs WW is in Thailand for 6 months looking after her mam and of course my mam who we looked after died last September. I wasn't really in a birthday mood but at church I got a lot of cards and was presented with this as everyone sang happy birthday.

View attachment 423355

Cheers everyone. If I could hand out cake to you all I would :D I certainly have plenty :D
Many happy returns of the day Alan.
The cake looks really wonderful and tasty despite being at ISO20000 :ROFLMAO:

hope you are reunited with your mrs soon :)

Happy birthday Alan - ohh a slice of that in the microwave for 30 seconds (to make it all gooey), then some squirty cream..hmm….

View attachment 423355

Happy Birthday Alan, cake looks lovely.

I’m having birthday treats this weekend too even though my Birthday is not until Tuesday :LOL:

Back