The Nikon 1 system - an open thread

I think you are referring to the setting "Smart Photo Selector" in the V1. In this mode you can take a sequence of 5 photos in auto mode by pressing the shutter only once. (It's similar to shooting a burst of 5 continuous shots, but I think the Smart Photo Selector's shots were actually closer together. I only tried it out once or twice and never used it again. But as you stated it could be good for some uses, like BIF. ;)
Have some shots taken using this feature , will upload them to this thread as soon i am entitled for this as a new member . Have to wait to complete three posts as i remember .

Have some shots taken using this feature , will upload them to this thread as soon i am entitled for this as a new member . Have to wait to complete three posts as i remember .
I never knew there was a limitation for newcomers. I only joined this site about a month ago. That said I probably never reached that limit. Cool! Actually, I'd love to see how your smart photos turned out. :thinking:

I never knew there was a limitation for newcomers. I only joined this site about a month ago. That said I probably never reached that limit. Cool! Actually, I'd love to see how your smart photos turned out. :thinking:
Found it extremely useful for bird shooting . Someone is able to catch ( if patient enough ) the exact moment a bird decided to take off from a standing position .

Found it extremely useful for bird shooting . Someone is able to catch ( if patient enough ) the exact moment a bird decided to take off from a standing position .
I'm not a birder myself, but I don't mind looking at them. LOL

Every now and then however when a bird of the feathery flying variety pass over I might try to shoot them down. LOL

Please don't take offense to my way of writing--it's always only tongue-and-cheek. :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
Absolutely not offended by any means . Able to recognise the good sense of humour . As for birds photography you must try it . Not against an open sky , that could be difficult for the autofocus module . Preferably somewhere close to the sea to catch seagulls etc . It's easier some time using manual focusing with a prime lens . Had some good results from a Tokina 400 f/6.3 ( F mount ) on my D610 .

Absolutely not offended by any means . Able to recognise the good sense of humour . As for birds photography you must try it . Not against an open sky , that could be difficult for the autofocus module . Preferably somewhere close to the sea to catch seagulls etc . It's easier some time using manual focusing with a prime lens . Had some good results from a Tokina 400 f/6.3 ( F mount ) on my D610 .
Thanks, Han! Glad we can laugh together. I have tried a bit like I said, but nothing serious, of course. Pigeons and crows hardly count, do they? LOL

And sparrows are too common and easy. :ROFLMAO:

I'm blind as a Bat Man so I don't shoot using manual focus too much. The 610 with incredible IQ and the 400mm Toking do sound pretty amazing for the birds, but you have to have strong shoulders and arms I'd think to keep it up for more than an hour.

Thanks, Han! Glad we can laugh together. I have tried a bit like I said, but nothing serious, of course. Pigeons and crows hardly count, do they? LOL

And sparrows are too common and easy. :ROFLMAO:

I'm blind as a Bat Man so I don't shoot using manual focus too much. The 610 with incredible IQ and the 400mm Toking do sound pretty amazing for the birds, but you have to have strong shoulders and arms I'd think to keep it up for more than an hour.
The specific lens is lighter than most people think , of course the overall length is on the ridiculous side but it's very well balanced and easy to operate . I strongly recommend it even by today standards . Nowadays it's difficult to find one but you can make a search for a rebranded version . The searching title will be 400 f/6.3 lens omitting the Tokina logo . If you ever be in a search make sure it has the lens collar .

Last edited:
The specific lens is lighter than most people think , of course the overall length is on the ridiculous side but it's very well balanced and easy to operate . I strongly recommend it even by today standards . Nowadays it's difficult to find one but you can make a search for a rebranded version . The searching title will be 400 f/6.3 lens omitting the Tokina logo . If you ever be in a search make sure it has the lens collar .
Thanks for the explanation and recommendation! I'll definitely consider this set up if I ever decided to do any serious birding. I live in Tokyo and don't have much of a chance to go to the countryside of the woods or any place that might have beautiful exotic birds circling above or just passing through. :D

Yeah, I don't subscribe to such beliefs. :tumbleweed:

Dead or alive it's all the same to me. As long as I can get the little box to take a few snaps when I command it to. :naughty:

Of course, there's absolutely nothing wrong with collectors of cameras or even those with chronic GAS. :banana:

The world will continue to spin. As long as no one gets hurt, we are all good. :wave:
Talking of "dead" camera systems, if anyone wants to check out the Samsung NX they'd be pretty impressed. I've got the Galaxy NX and the NX1 (which was the flagship) and even today it's terrific; 28 MP APS Sensor, 4K oversampled video, and a ton of other things... slightly limited on the lens front, but I've got the Premium 16-50 F2, a fe primes and wide angles and telephoto 50-200.

Worth taking a look if anyone likes the "differnt" sort of things you can get...

Talking of "dead" camera systems, if anyone wants to check out the Samsung NX they'd be pretty impressed. I've got the Galaxy NX and the NX1 (which was the flagship) and even today it's terrific; 28 MP APS Sensor, 4K oversampled video, and a ton of other things... slightly limited on the lens front, but I've got the Premium 16-50 F2, a fe primes and wide angles and telephoto 50-200.

Worth taking a look if anyone likes the "differnt" sort of things you can get...
Thanks for the suggestion! I will keep this in mind when I want to resurrect the next dead camera or camera system. o_O Because I'm a man of limited and modest means I can not afford these luxuries presently. I have heard about the IQ of these boxes and had been interested several years ago. But I was too busy building up my Nikon 1 system, so I never gave any other camera brand a serious look. :cool:

The best croping factor by far ........ in the daylight of course and with some serious bright light conditions . As i remember it wasn't that bad in cloudy days .
I have to stop responding to this thread ...... ...... the tempting rises very fast ..... let me see where did i see lately a used 1 v2 .......

Thanks for the suggestion! I will keep this in mind when I want to resurrect the next dead camera or camera system. o_O Because I'm a man of limited and modest means I can not afford these luxuries presently. I have heard about the IQ of these boxes and had been interested several years ago. But I was too busy building up my Nikon 1 system, so I never gave any other camera brand a serious look. :cool:
Modest means ....... a global phenomenon nowadays ...... and this is the starting point for someone to re-evaluate a Nikon 1 as a living system ......

I remember doing a spot of 'birding' with my Nikon 1 V3 and my 500 f4 attached ... 1350mm! :LOL:
You must have incredibly long arms with that kind of reach, gramps. There might not be a bird in the sky that can escape your clutches. I've actually thought about pairing my D7200 with the Sigma 60-600mm. I'll have to wait a couple of years at the least for this baby though. Imagine that thing on a V cam. Wow! :tumbleweed:

To all ...... i am very happy to be among you all . You are definitely so far a very living photography forum .
This is a thread of the living dead, I hope you know. Doesn't matter, does it? Dead or alive, as long as it keeps talking back. LOL :argue::runaway:

Modest means ....... a global phenomenon nowadays ...... and this is the starting point for someone to re-evaluate a Nikon 1 as a living system ......
Don't be angry with me, but I have at least 16 N1 cameras--lost count. :headbang: But I'm not a collector. I'm a user and abuser of the N1 sytem. :ROFLMAO:

Don't be angry with me, but I have at least 16 N1 cameras--lost count. :headbang: But I'm not a collector. I'm a user and abuser of the N1 sytem. :ROFLMAO:
Angry with you ....... not a chance . I am the proud owner of 3 camera bodies ...... Nikon D1 ........ you're not alone ......

Angry with you ....... not a chance . I am the proud owner of 3 camera bodies ...... Nikon D1 ........ you're not alone ......
3 D1s! I think that's pretty cool. I wish I had one. LOL

Actually, I was thinking about getting a used D4 before I realized that my wallet was empty. :headbang:

Actually, I was thinking about getting a used D4 before I realized that my wallet was empty. :headbang:
Nikon D1 is on my list. I've got a thing for Kodak, got the full collection of these - the old SLRS they used to do. Very admirable though - I've got the DCS 760, 660, 14N, SLRN and SLRc.

Great things!

Just for the record ....... one of them ( boxed ) is in parts condition . Totally unaware of what could be the problem . Second is fully working and in a well used state . As for the third one ....... had some problems , probably the sensor is close to say goodbye .......

Nikon D1 is on my list. I've got a thing for Kodak, got the full collection of these - the old SLRS they used to do. Very admirable though - I've got the DCS 760, 660, 14N, SLRN and SLRc.

Great things!
So you're somewhat of a big time collector of vintage American, is that right? That's a great hobby for sure.

Since this is a Nikon 1 thread I have to ask if you have or had any N1 cameras like the V1 or the J5?

Just for the record ....... one of them ( boxed ) is in parts condition . Totally unaware of what could be the problem . Second is fully working and in a well used state . As for the third one ....... had some problems , probably the sensor is close to say goodbye .......
1/3 in solid working condition isn't too bad considering how old they are. Looking forward to seeing some of your photos in the near future.

So you're somewhat of a big time collector of vintage American, is that right? That's a great hobby for sure.

Since this is a Nikon 1 thread I have to ask if you have or had any N1 cameras like the V1 or the J5?
I get shouted at for taking over too much space at home.. I have to admit, but I dare not admit I'm a collector! I just have a thing for the old digital stuff.. I've got so much it's ridiculous! But yes I have got some 1 series I've collected over the years but barely use - I've got the V3 and a couple of lenses buried away and that's it. They are good little things, I have tried all of them over the years, but just end up trying to sell stuff to make way for the "new" old things.

You must have incredibly long arms with that kind of reach, gramps.
Fiesol tripod and Wimberly gimbal on mostly 'static' birds but did get some good shots of very distant European Crane pair and chicks. :)

I get shouted at for taking over too much space at home.. I have to admit, but I dare not admit I'm a collector! I just have a thing for the old digital stuff.. I've got so much it's ridiculous! But yes I have got some 1 series I've collected over the years but barely use - I've got the V3 and a couple of lenses buried away and that's it. They are good little things, I have tried all of them over the years, but just end up trying to sell stuff to make way for the "new" old things.
You're kind of like the man with too much money who doesn't know what to do with it. :D

Well, if it makes you happy because you're doing something you love, then more happiness to you.

Last edited:
I always loved my V1 and 18.5mm lens, some great images from it.

You're kind of like the man with too much money who doesn't know what to do with it. :D

Well, if it makes you happy because you're doing something you love, then more happiness to you.
I can promise you there is not too much money - I buy all the very old things which are not that expensive. Never buy new :)

I can promise you there is not too much money - I buy all the very old things which are not that expensive. Never buy new :)
I have only ever bought new gear. But I have never sold any of it, either. I buy new and plan to use the gear for 20 years so that I can get every pennies worth. :geek:

Would love to see some of your photos from the V1. I'm sure you have many.
I think the V1 records the highest number of captured images for any camera I have owned, followed by the LX100 mk1. I brough it whilst my kids were young, and I had enough other stuff to carry, so most images are personal but a few added below.

N1 V1-5.jpgN1 V1-6.jpgN1 V1.jpgN1 V1-4.jpgN1 V1-7.jpg

jondc,

A cool set of images. I like the second one best. That cabin is very colorful and with the snowfall it really makes the photo. Thanks for sharing! I hope we can see more of your photos, as well as, everyone else who owns an N1 box. :cool:

jondc,

A cool set of images. I like the second one best. That cabin is very colorful and with the snowfall it really makes the photo. Thanks for sharing! I hope we can see more of your photos, as well as, everyone else who owns an N1 box. :cool:

Its the beehives at my wife's family home and is also one of my, non-family orientated, images from the V1.

Very nice shots and very nice examples of an underrated camera .
Thank you. Agree, the camera is underrated. Its a great system for the right purpose (small, light, portable, and fast) but will never beat a something like a Sony A7 for dynamic range and low light but I know which I will take with me for a fun day out and which I will take for a night time shoot.

Back