Scotland Torren Lochan

Name
Alan
Edit My Images
Yes
Never even heard of this place until tonight. I hope someone can help, as I'm near Glencoe in my tourer. Last full day tomorrow. Where can you park (I believe it's a single track road) and is it far to walk?
Is there a best time of day to go?
I'd be grateful for any info

Last edited:
Never even heard of this place until tonight. I hope someone can help, as I'm near Glencoe in my tourer. Last full day tomorrow. Where can you park (I believe it's a single track road) and is it far to walk?
Is there a best time of day to go?
I'd be grateful for any info
There's a single track road where you can stop right next to the lochan if in a car.
Wouldn't want to take a caravan down there though....although there are holiday cottages at the end of the road where it may be possible to turn.
The Lochan is in-between the red squirrel campsite and the clachaig inn, and sits on the right as you head from Glencoe Village towards the clachaig inn...

20210929_110240.jpg

Screenshot_20211005-224806_Maps.jpg

Last edited:
It's between Red Squirrel Campsite and the Clachaig Inn.

It'll still catch a bit of light this time of year - but it does work better in the lighter months for the direction of light.

If it's ultra still - this time of year I reckon you'd be better served by Loch Achtriochtan

_DSC3580 by Stephen Taylor, on Flickr

Torren you want the sunset further to the North for the main angle - June 2020

_DSC2140 by Stephen Taylor, on Flickr

You would get away with this angle though in October.

_DSC2159 by Stephen Taylor, on Flickr

Thanks guys. I went today. Nice light but no reflections. The wind seemed to be swirling.
But Stephen, you were bang on about Loch Achtriochtan. After 15 minutes looking for a decent record shot, all of a sudden, a crystal clear reflection

@SFTPhotography thanks Stephen, much appreciated. It's ages since I've been on here. Nice to see you've got a Z

Thanks - the Z is amazing.

Thanks guys. I went today. Nice light but no reflections. The wind seemed to be swirling.
But Stephen, you were bang on about Loch Achtriochtan. After 15 minutes looking for a decent record shot, all of a sudden, a crystal clear reflection

It's more the direction of light - Torren is amazing on a summers evening - but in the darker months the sun doesn't arc round far enough to really light the face of Bidean Nam Bam.

Loch Achtriochtan is a funny one - amazing when the conditions are right...which is not very often. It's more exposed and reasonably large - the enemy of all things reflections.

Back