Wistman's Wood Too Popular for its Own Good

You just have to ask yourself, why? These people must know what they are doing.

It's just the massive increase in numbers.
Through last summer the littering around here at least doubled.
This country is very crowded and over-populated and the great majority have remarkably little empathy with the countryside or see it like a bigger version of a town park with a hidden army of staff to clear up after them.

I'm sure there's been a trend for people to be more selfish and ignorant in recent years. Perhaps it was due to them lacking discipline as children, with parents seldom saying "No, you can't do/have that!" to them? I was only thinking this the other day as I saw the sheer number of people walking about all over the place during the latest 'lockdown' (I was going to the chemist to pick up a prescription before anyone asks if my journey was necessary!).

The roadside footpaths have looked like an L S Lowry painting at times round here! I'm sure there'd be half the number of obese people if they had that amount of exercise normally! These days, if you want someone to do something then just tell them they can't!

I think it's true that the restrictions have bought out the worst in us.

It's just the massive increase in numbers.
Through last summer the littering around here at least doubled.
This country is very crowded and over-populated and the great majority have remarkably little empathy with the countryside or see it like a bigger version of a town park with a hidden army of staff to clear up after them.

Perhaps the message in that BBC article suggests one solution is rather than the "no footpath" it should say "damaging these crops means you will pay more for your food in the supermarket" :(

Last edited:
Perhaps the message in that BBC article suggests one solution is rather than the "no footpath" it should say "damaging these crops means you will pay more for your food in the supermarket" :(
The trouble is that many people are so far removed from knowing where food comes from they probably don't even realise they're trampling crops, let alone that those crops are grown to feed people and not just to decorate the countryside. Also, they're so selfish they'll just reason that the cost will be shared by the whole population, so it will be so diluted that they won't notice the difference.

They'll also probably argue that it's the farmer's fault for having a muddy footpath across the field, and they're considering suing the landowner as they've got their totally inappropriate £250 fashion footwear muddy! How dare there be mud in the countryside in winter, this is supposed to be a civilised country! :mad:

The trouble is that many people are so far removed from knowing where food comes from they probably don't even realise they're trampling crops, let alone that those crops are grown to feed people and not just to decorate the countryside. Also, they're so selfish they'll just reason that the cost will be shared by the whole population, so it will be so diluted that they won't notice the difference.

They'll also probably argue that it's the farmer's fault for having a muddy footpath across the field, and they're considering suing the landowner as they've got their totally inappropriate £250 fashion footwear muddy! How dare there be mud in the countryside in winter, this is supposed to be a civilised country! :mad:

Good points all, in a similar'ish vein of:-
Not putting your trolly back at the supermarket.
Dropping litter (anywhere)
Inconsiderate parking
etc, etc.......

There are times I ask myself......is it the same folk doing more than one of the above poorly considered actions and if they have children they 'breeding' that behaviour into the next generation :mad:

Have you noticed that farmers always put the gate in the muddiest part of the field? Totally inconsiderate.

B'stards sometimes make the fields all rutted and muddy too. As for the big dogs with horns that are sometimes there too...

B'stards sometimes make the fields all rutted and muddy too. As for the big dogs with horns that are sometimes there too...
A walker was killed last year by cows not far from here last year. [emoji44]

Back